UBC Triathlon Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 11s
Overall Rank = 143/376
Age Group = 25-30
Age Group Rank = 5/25
Pre-race routine:

Watched the Olympic heats and cheered on some friends. Time got away from me and found myself a bit rushed to eat an apple and some peanut butter an hour before.
Event warmup:

I walked around all morning watching the event and was feeling pretty warmed up so just stretched a bit while we were waiting by the pool.
Swim
  • 17h 56m
  • 800 meters
  • 2h 14m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a terrible swim!!! It sucked. Started when the woman starting tapped me on the head only did it to early so threw my concentration at the start.. then went out WAY to fast and blew up in the first 200m. Let the guy behind me pass and then drafted off of him trying to get my breath. Found myself stopping in the shallow end taking a few breaths, letting him get ahead and then catching up to him and drafting again. Passed him around 500m and remembered how I need to swim and finished better. But it didn't feel smooth.
What would you do differently?:

ARMS ARMS ARMS!!! I have a really efficient pull and i need to remember to use it. Not to start off kicking which just uses my oxygen. Race my own race!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My transition ROCKED! Passed two people during it! Grabbed my wet bag hit the change tent, rolled up the knee warmers and socks. Grabbed my jacket and ran out. Didn't know where to put the bag so yelled at the volunteers who gave me directions. Threw the coat on, timing belt, and put gloves on during the 300m run to the bike transition. Ran strong and fast! Got to the bike, helmet on, glasses on, runners off, bikes shoes on, and grabbed the bike. thought about cutting a corner but ended up slipping in my road shoes and got all the volunteers worried. But stayed on my feet. Got on the bike and the clipless were no problem and off I went.

Not try to slip and fall during T1. :) So glad I practiced getting on and off the bike, and putting the knee warmers and socks on last night.
Bike
  • 42m 53s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.98 km/hr
Comments:

Bike was great. Finally got in the mood to race after the swim. Stayed in the drops the whole time and kept a strong cadence. Passed several women and got passed by some really fast men. Passed someone, and then she passed me, then I passed her towards the hill. Battled with one woman down the hill and through a turn around trying to pass her then finally left her. At one point I came up to 3 people. 2 on the left, one who was trying to pass them on the right but they were catching up to him. Yelled "on your left" and they all freaked out and didn't know which way to go. so I yelled "up the middle" and split the distance between the 3 of them and flew by. Definitely helped give me a little kick at the end.

Just water instead of cytomax on the bike. Push a little harder. And push the speed all the way back to transition. different gloves since a few fingers in my left hand went numb.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Another fairly good transition. I unclipped my foot WAY to early comming into transition but stopped at the right point behind the line and didn't slip getting back to my rack. Very few bikes on the rack when i got there and racked by the handlebars, took the jacket off, switched shoes and struggled a bit to get the gloves off.

gloves that are easier to come off maybe?
Run
  • 28m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good coming off the bike. After the first km I noticed my left footfalls were kind of hard, and after 2km I started to get a bit of a cramp in my shins. Ran through it. 3km I picked up the pace which felt a lot smoother. Passed a guy up the last little hill but he stayed close enough that I could hear his steps so he pushed me all the way to the end. Picked up the pace as we got to the finish and sprinted the last 100m. Only got passed by men, and passed several women from previous heats.

Run is my weakest so need to pick up my average pace. Really need to work on my run!!!! But this is also a PR so I am stoked to be under 30 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

walked, ate a piece of and orange and found my friends. One of them took TONS of pictures and I can't wait to see her pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental stuff. Had a lot of negative mental talk this week for some reason and didn't have that "excitement" to race. It was weird. REALLY bad thoughts during the first half of the swim. Thought about giving up on the whole thing! Also needed to eat better the last few days and hydrate more.

Event comments:

good except for the results not being posted until tuesday.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
17:56:00 | 800 meters | 2h 14m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 0/376
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: TTstart 10 seconds apart and zig zag across the pool. Then a long walk around the pool, a clothing change and a 400m sprint to transition. hit my watch about 20 sec before start and checked it after I got out of the pool so my swim was actually right around 15 minutes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:53 | 20 kms | 27.98 km/hr
Age Group: 4/25
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Down and back SW marine drive. Tailwind with a decline one way, head wind with a slight incline the other way. 1 decent hill. time includes transitions. the standard shoe change helmet and stuff. plus my slip and near fall running to where I could get on my bike. Checked the bike computer after the race and was right around 41 minutes for the actual ride.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:19 | 03.11 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/25
Performance: Average
Course: across the campus toward chancellor, one way then the other. this is a PR for me. but I haven't timed a 5km in a while
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-03-09 11:29 PM
in reply to: #1262127

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-10 12:34 AM
in reply to: #1262205

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance

I am the queen of typos!!!

orange... does that sound better?

2008-03-10 12:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
sounds like an AWESOME race Jeni!!! Hugest Congrats! Just reading your report gives me the goosebumps!!! I can't wait to see your official results!!

Jill
2008-03-10 12:50 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Great race!
2008-03-10 7:11 AM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

WAY TO GO JENI!!! Awesome race--way to push through the swim, nail the bike, and glide through the run!! Awesome first tri Ms. TRIATHLETE!

2008-03-10 11:02 AM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Great job on your first TRI!!! Sounds like you were a veteran out there from your report. Congrats!!
2008-03-10 1:37 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Awesome race, Jeni! WTG on finishing your first tri!
2008-03-10 3:03 PM

Master
Port Moody, BC
Really coo RR Jeni! I wished I could have picked you out in the crowds! Welcome to the club, huge congrats on a huge finish! You really rocked out there, great numbers on the swim! And you were disapointed?!?!?  I love your run, I am always inspired when a girl passes everyone, guys and girls!  Really solid effort!!
2008-03-10 5:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Great race report!  Sounds like you had a fun first triathlon.  You did really well!  Congrats! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed