Runners Soul
1C / 34F
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 3s
Overall Rank = 149/522
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/25
Pre-race routine:

The Moonlight Run started at 8pm. We finished dinner about 3 hours earlier but I might have eaten too much as I could still feel it by racetime. I got to the venue about 45 minutes before the start and wandered about finding where everything was. I rested for a bit and then went to wait near the starting line.
Event warmup:

Good sound system. They did aerobics to music for about 10 minutes, dedicated the 21st running of the race to one of the founding people who had recently passed, sang the American and Canadian national anthems, and fired a cannon to start the race. There was a 6k run with about 1700 people on the course too but it started 15 minutes after the 10k. There were about 600 registered for the 10k.
Run
  • 52m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

They used chips for the finish times but we all started from the gun. I was about 15 feet back from the start line. When we went it was pretty crowded for the first half block and then spread out a little for the hill descent. I roll downhill pretty well and moved up through the crowd. According to the garmin record my HR was over 170 in under 4 minutes and stayed there except for the times I walked. At the bottom I heard one lady tell another that we were on about a 7min/mile pace so I eased up a bit.

There are streetlights on the hill but much of the route in the river bottom is unlit. The overcast reflected city light from both sides of the river though and it was easy enough to run. They had course marshalls with lights anywhere the path branched and some blinking yellow roadside hazard lights along the way too. I followed one 'rabbit' after another but usually only for a few minutes before passing them. There was a water station at the 6km turn around so we passed it twice. I walked for a few seconds to drink each time.

Partway between the aid station and the bottom of the hill, I started matching pace with another guy and we exchanged a few comments. At this point we were running through the 6km race crowd and passing a lot of people. As we turned to head up the hill, I told him he would probably lose me on the climb and to have a good run. He wasn't so sure. We matched pace up the hill for over 4 minutes, passing literally hundreds of walkers, but my HR was over LT as soon as we hit the hill and I wimped out. With the top in sight, I told him to go on and slowed to walk for a few seconds. It couldn't have been too long though because I was less than 12 seconds behind him at the finish.

Post race
Warm down:

I got some water and eventually remembered to stop the garmin. Doh! A couple of ladies invited me to go for a cooldown run but we had only gone a block or so when I saw my nephew, who I hardly ever see. I told the ladies to go on and stopped to talk. From there I walked a couple of blocks to the mall entrance and went in for the post-race food, awards, giveaways, etc.

Event comments:

They gave out medals in each age group down to 5th place, so I got one! I never would have believed it when I did this race two years ago, but I beat that time by over 13 minutes. :)

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:03 | 10 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 149/522
Performance: Good
HR av. 174 max 180
Course: Course runs a couple of blocks through town and then down into the river valley on a steep paved road. It's about 100m (300ft) of elevation. The route winds through some park and nature preserve areas before returning up the hill to the start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-16 11:43 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Moonlight Run

2008-03-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1274554

User image

Subject: RE: Moonlight Run
Wow - WOW! What a stellar improvement, and a medal to show for it too! Congratulations on a great race.
2008-03-16 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
FANTASTIC!!!!   Awesome job!!!!  I'm sure you're as psyched as you can be! 
2008-03-16 9:41 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Great job man!!!!! Cherish that medal. Sweet!!!!
2008-03-17 12:01 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Freakin awesome!

Great job out there pushing the pace on the hill! Nice!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moonlight Run Rss Feed