General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 44s
Overall Rank = 510/868
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

We drove down to Galveston Friday evening and got checked in. Ran into Tag at the hotel when he was checking out his bike. Chatted for a few then we headed for Moody Gardens for packet pick up. Saw Lisa at the info booth. We didn't stay long at the expo then headed for food. Our favorite restaurant was backed up out the door so I opted for Subway and hubby and Ry got fried chicken from Randall's. Went back to the room, went through the race packet, went through my transition bag, put on all my numbers and got my bike computer lined up. Went to bed around 10-10:30 and tried to sleep. I woke up about twice then was up by 4:30 am for good. I managed to eat a peanut butter/nutella sandwich and a little milk. I drank gatorade on the way over to the race.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Found Brittany in body marking, chatted for a few then went into transition to get my bike set up. Chatted with my rack mates, discussed the wet suit issues a couple of times, then decided to use it. Talked for a few more minutes then found Mark and Ry on the walk to the swim start. Met Dave and Dennis at the swim start and another Bter from Austin but I don't remember his name, sorry! Got in line for the start and just tried to relax.
Swim
  • 14m 1s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got to the end and just jumped in. The water was cold but was ok after a few minutes. Glad for the wet suit afterall. I should have positioned myself more to the front but was somewhere in the middle when the horn went off. Started out ok but soon found myself tangled up with the same woman about three times. I swam right over her twice! Third time was just a bump so I held up and went left of her. I never was relaxed in the water. Lots of other swimstrokes utilized on this swim, bad, bad, bad. When I could swim, I moved well but it was sort spurts only. I did manage to pass some of the clydes who were the wave before us.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS with the wetsuit or without for that matter. Just more!!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Wetsuit removal went well. Volunteer in the water got the zipper started for me before I left the water so I was stripped down to the waste by the time I got to the strippers. No problems here. Trotted to transition, hung my wetsuit on the rack, helmet on, dried my feet, socks on, shoes on, bike, off to the bike course at a trot. A little crowded at the mount line but it was not bad.

I need to work this out more and get faster in transition. I need to ride without socks. I should have just left the wetsuit on the ground but I took the time to hang it.
Bike
  • 45m 5s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going pretty quickly and geared up by the time I made it out of the park. I passed a few and found a person to hang with within the first three miles. I managed about 18-19 mph for the first half then made the turn around and died in the wind. I hung right around 15-16 or so. I knew I needed to average 16 to finish in 45 minutes so I just pushed and held as best I could. I played leapfrog with one girl, then she dropped my at the seawall.

More time in the saddle and out on the road. I didn't get near enough bike time in before this race and only one road ride. Not bad overall but there's certainly room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

No real problems here. I dismounted with my shoes so it's just a mental thing to make sure I am unclipped by the time I get there. I don't have yankz in this pair of running shoes so there was lacing to be done. That will be fixed before next race.

Yankz. Maybe practice getting out to my shoes on the bike and just leave them on it.
Run
  • 36m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were ok after the bike, but still needed some time before they were completely with me. I was hoping to run this without walking and that's what I managed. I picked up the pace at the first mile marker and again at mile 2. I felt good and the achilles was not bothering me at all. The gatorade was too strong so I mixed it with water and sipped as I went. I chewed a few beans along the way and it helped. At the three mile marker I pushed just a bit harder and stayed there. I was wearing down but still felt good. It was great to have the volunteers and people on the route cheering for you, they really helped keep me moving.

I was very pleased with the run. Following the achilles problem, I wasn't certain I would be able to run the whole way or not so when I managed it, I was thrilled. No sharp pain, just a dull achey feeling so I am happy with this run. Now I will do more running to get stronger. Overall, I felt good here despite not really putting in any mileage before this race. I am looking forward to the run training to come.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched after I finished, especially the hamstrings and the calves, soleus. I walked with my cold towel then headed over toward transition. Unfortunately, I didn't have firm meeting instructions to catch up with hubby so we missed each other for awhile. I ran into Brittany just outside transition and chatted about the race and waited for the last riders to come in so we could get in and Brit out of the parking area. Once into transition, I called hubby and located him. We just walked around a bit, got a beer, some food and looked at the results. Continued to drink water and finished up my beans then we headed for the room to clean up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistant training and slow recovery from achilles tendonosis. I hope to get back to something more consistant and get some OWS training thrown in. All in all, this was a good race and I look forward to the next one.

Event comments:

Great race, great venue! I will continue to do this race as long as they have it here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:01 | 528 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 463/868
Performance: Below average
Suit: Bodyglove short
Course: Straight out with a 90 degree to the exit
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:05 | 12.5 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Overall: 431/868
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:05 | 03.1 miles | 11m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 562/868
Performance:
Course: Winding through the Moody Gardens property
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 6:58 PM

Master
Houston
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2008-03-30 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1303228

Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Awesome job out there Janette.  Was a pleasure meeting you.  Let me know if you want to go on any ride or anything since we're practically neighbors!
2008-03-30 8:00 PM

Regular
Arlington, TX
Great job! Wish we could have seen you there. Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully, we'll catch you next year. We'll be the ones with the little 9 month old girl (future Kona winner!)

Good luck in your training and races.
2008-03-30 8:51 PM

User image

Houston, TX
great job Nette and very nice seeing you and your family again!
2008-03-31 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Nice race!

Brian

2008-03-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1304379

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Good ride and solid run to follow it up!  The swim just takes practice.  Someone could be the fastest fish in the pool, but as soon as they hit that open water it is a whole different ballgame.

Congrats on a solid race and not getting out of your game plan!

2008-03-31 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1304665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Great job on the race! You did very well....it is not easy to actually run the whole run; I know I get pooped by that point. Keep up the good work!!
2008-03-31 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Nice job out there! It was good seeing you again as well! You going to make it for CapTex again?
2008-03-31 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job!!! If you didn't know, you were totally beaming from ear to ear right after you finished too! I'll send you the picture, but you really did great, especially to run the whole thing after dealing with your ankle! Way to go! Glad I met up with you finally!
2008-03-31 1:10 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Wow Jeanette--great pics--looking really solid on the run! I know you felt underprepared, but you did great out there and pulled off an overall good race and especially that wonderful straight-through run to the finish. I thought about you doing YOUR race while I was doing mine--you gave me good mojo!
2008-04-01 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great race! Sorry I didn't get to meet you (although I remember seeing you running out of T2--great pictures!)

Glad you had a good time, and you're off to a terrific start to your season.

2008-04-01 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
You shoulda elbowed that woman during the swim- show her who is boss!  Amazing race, especially since it wasn't so long ago that I was hanging out with you in a boot.  Congrats!!!
2008-04-01 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Awesome race!  Especially if you've been dealing with some tendonitis issues lately.  Keep up the hard work, and the speed will follow!
2008-04-01 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Nice race all the way throughh. Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed