General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ford Ironman 70.3 California - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oceanside, California
United States
Ironman North America
61F / 16C
Total Time = 5h 25m 1s
Overall Rank = 497/1958
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 112/380
Pre-race routine:

This race turned out to be a little more challenging than I had originally anticipated. When I signed up for it last year, I expected just to cruise with the race because this wasn't an A race for me and I was coming off of a season with my first IM and some ultramarathons. So, I expected to be in solid shape and figured a half wouldn't be much of a problem.

However, a series of injuries (tendinitis back in early december (my first DNF), a torn calf muscle on 1/15, and then a bike accident a week later that left me with very bruised knees), resulted in minimal running for an 8 week stretch (e.g. I ran a total of 11 miles in the month of February) and I only started my run training 3 weeks before the race.

It was risky, but I ramped up my run training very quickly - I started with a 7 mile training run after not having run a single mile in 2 weeks and then ramped up to 10+ by the weekend and then to 13.1 just a mere 9 days before the race. Some of these runs were quite painful on my knees and my calf always let me know that it was not 100%. To be clear, I strongly DO NOT RECOMMEND being this aggressive with your training and I was relying heavily on my residual fitness and my continued biking. In the end, I did not know how my knees and calf would fare in race conditions and I was concerned about jeopardizing my training for my IM in late May.


Since DW's been very busy at work, we took the latest flight down (2:00pm) to San Diego that we though we reasonably could to make registration (closes at 8pm). My buddy poweredbyfear (PBF), had driven down and generously offered to pick us up at the airport as well as haul down my bike (saving me a couple hundred dollars) and most of my other gear. Travelling to a race can get pretty expensive pretty fast between race fees, airline tickets, bike transport, lodging, and meals.

PBF picked us up at about 4:00pm and we started heading to Oceanside. We hit the Friday rush hour traffic (something we didn't think about since none of us were working that day) and it took us until about 5:30pm before we were at registration.

At this late hour, registration went extremely smoothly with no lines at all. I was supposed to get a red cap for wave 8, but since they ran out, I received a silver one instead. The race talk was a video they had running in a room, which was far less engaging than an actual meeting, but far more convenient. We happened to come in right when the bike course was being discussed which was what I was concerned about. There were 2 no passing zones and one 25mph zone on a downhill which would be a DQ if you sped. I didn't have a bike computer on my bike so I was mildly worried, but figured I'd just have to pace off of someone else and assume they weren't speeding.

We go to the expo briefly since PBF is considering buying a transition bag since we plan to bike from the motel start in the morning. He doesn't want to drop the cash on an semi-impulse purchase, but he does buy a mounting bracket for the aero water bottle I gave him since with just rubber bands, it sits a bit wobbly on his bike.

We go to the motel, Guesthouse Inn (ChrisM, thank you for the recommendation), and check in. It's pretty much a dive (I'm almost starting to get used to this being the norm for races), but at least we arguably have the best room there - on the third floor, ocean view, a reasonably large room with two queen beds since this is for 3 of us and a 5 minute bike ride to transition. We briefly chat with another triathlete from Canada at the check in desk. As we go to our room, it's clear that this motel is mostly booked with other race participants given all the bike racks, etc. on the cars.

Once we've unloaded everything in the room, we headed out to dinner. PBF had mapped out all our meals for us. We went to Capozzoli's, an Italian restaurant here in Oceanside. Obviously, we weren't the only ones to think of this and there were many other race participants there as evidenced by the silver wristbands we all received in registration. I was amused because one guy was already wearing his timing chip on his ankle. From the waiting area, you could see the kitchen and the pizzas being made which was such a big tease since we were so hungry.

Dinner was perfect for our needs. We wolfed the bread as soon as they set it down (bread was very plain and boring and the olive oil was typical restaurant bland, but we didnt' care) and our waitress was attentive to make sure we had more bread and plenty of water.

We all split a chopped salad order (they were large). I ordered the Linguine Fra Diavola which was a spicy seafood dish, DW had the Fettucinni Caponatta which was a vegetable pasta dish (I asked her to get the optional anchovies on the side so I could eat them) and PBF ordered the same seafood dish I did.

Soon enough our food arrives and we just chow down. My dish had a generous amount of seafood. PBF and I finished our plates and DW had a little leftover which PBF finished up. After we had finished, the owner came by to say hello and asked us how our meal was. On our way out, he also greeted us and gave us all hugs and thanked us. Overall food was a better than average, service was decent, and it was definitely an enjoyable dining experience.

After dinner, we walked over to the grocery store in the same plaza. We were primarily there for water, but PBF wanted a bottle of wine for tomorrow night (he picked up an inexpensive Tempranillo) and DW wanted some chocolate (some nice Dagoba dark chocolate).

Back at the room, we can see the transition from our room since it's lit up. PBF and I spent our time prepping our bikes and gear. I had to switch in my race wheels which also involves adjusting the horizontal dropouts (since my tubulars are 21c and my clincher training wheels are 23c) and readjusting the brakes. I would have preferred a chance to test ride, but I figured the ride down to the transition tomorrow would give me that chance to fine tune anything I needed to. I realize I've forgotton the straw for my aerobottle so I won't be riding with it. Fortunately, the weather is not very warm so I'm not too worried about only having one (conventional) bottle on for the race. Weather is supposed to be a high of about 60 and I'm not sure what to wear for the bike section - arm warmers or not? gloves? vest? I've ridden in the cold enough to know I didn't want to do that.

After that, it's setting the alarms for 5:00am (transition opens at 4:45, first wave is off at 6:45) the nighly ablutions and then it's lights out.

I slept quite soundly. The alarms go off soon and PBF and I are up. We each eat a bar and some liquids. I have a caffeinated gu (note quite a substitute for a cup of Peet's coffee, but it gets the job done). For fun, I apply a whirl logo (the logo of the company at which I work) temp tatoo onto my right upper arm and my right calf. I kiss DW goodbye and she wishes me luck.

We're out the door. We're not exactly sure how to get to the transition area, but there's another racer here and we just follow him. As we get closer and closer, more and more people converge. The majority of bikes appear to be tri bikes and most have race wheels. We arrive at transition and begin our setups.

Since I'm 744 so I'm at the far end of the rack which actually works out great since I have more room. I go get body marked which goes very quickly. i finish my setup and then head over to PBF to see how he's doing.

He finishes setting up. We decide to go wait in a bathroom line even though we don't have to go right now, but because the line is so long, we expect that we'll have to by the time we get up there. We're waiting for about ten minutes and then someone comes by and says we can't use these bathrooms because they are reserved. Argh. At that point, I just decide I'm going to pee once I get in the water.

We go back to my transition spot and stretch a little bit and then Waterdog comes by. This is the first chance I've had to meet Waterdog since I've been corresponding with him (starting on RWOL) for the last couple years when I first started tris. It was so cool of him to check in and i was so glad to finally meet him. At this point, I asked Waterdog how the transitions worked logistically (gee, great prep on my part, huh, waiting until now to figure this out) which helped a lot.

Soon enough, it's time to put on the wetsuit. Water is supposed to be 60 degrees which isn't that bad at all, but I'm wearing a squid lid and earplugs anyway. They have someone sing the Star Spangled Banner and soon the pros are already on their way. I go find PBF since he's 2 waves ahead of me. We start walking down to the far end of transition and to get to where we can walk back down the length of transition (outside of the transition area) to get to the boat ramp for the start. PBFs wave is fast approaching and he was just going to make it there for his start.

I line up with wave 8, which is a sea of red caps and I'm one of only a couple silver caps. Waves are only 3 minutes apart so I'm only waiting a couple minutes before it's time to get in the water. Just near the water entrance/exit, there is a glasses table. I'm using prescription goggles anyway, so I likely wouldn't have used the table even if I had known it was there.
Event warmup:

no warmup for me and in fact they tell you that there is no opportunity to warmup for the swim since it's occupied by the race and you only have 3 minutes between wave starts.
  • 35m 8s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters

I swim out to the starting area. The water is not that cold at all. There's a guy in a day glo green cap who swims up too and he's supposed to be in the wave that already left. He asks the official if he can just go and they tell him yes. I pee, which is always a relief.

Soon the horn sounds and we're off. There's the usual jostling, but it's not really that bad at all. We're spread pretty wide and the wave groups are fairly small. I'm trying to make sure I don't go anaerobic at the start before I'm warmed up so I'm going at a fairly relaxed pace. Everything feels good although I'm zigzagging just a bit. Never found anyone off of which to draft.

We make the turn out of the harbor and there are a few swells, but nothing unmanageable. We hit the turnaround and we're facing directly into the rising sun and I can't see a thing. I can't see the buoys well so I just try to keep an eye for caps ahead of me. I'm zig zagging a bit again, but keep reasonably on course.

Not much eventful to report. Was passed by the speedy swimmers in subsequent waves and passed some of the slower ones in the waves ahead of me.

Soon enough, I reach the boat ramp and volunteers are helping people up and sometimes helping unzip wetsuits.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have done some OWS before the race, but, eh, whatever.
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s

entrace to T1 is at the far end (opposite the bike and run out side) of the transition area so that everyone has to go the same distance for their transitions.

There are a good number of bikes in my area (unlike when I did Vineman where I was almost the last one out of the area) so I must have done reasonably well on the swim.

Suit got a bit stuck on both my ankles which is the norm for me.

I felt pretty warm out of the water so I decided to forgo gloves, armwarmers and the vest and plan to go as aero as possible.

I assume this time includes the run the length of the transition area upon existing the water. Still, almost 5 minutes for the transition seems a bit long.
  • 2h 56m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr

It feel great to get on the bike. I start off and DW cheers me on. I don't feel cold at all (gotta love so cal). I'm passing some and of course being blown away by others. Sometimes I feel like I'm the slowest person with a disc wheel out there, but I did pass some. I passed someone from the GGTC so I cheered him on.

One guy comments on the whirl logos I have on me. Mile 15 is the first aid station. i ditch my water bottle and call out for some water. Aid station volunteers were excellent at getting you what you want.

I heard others say there was a lot of drafting, but I didn't see very much of it and never saw the marshalls flag anyone, but I did see a few folks in the penalty boxes.

At about mile 20, I drop my chain which is annoying. At about mile 25, I comment to one guy that "my legs tell me this is uphill." He asks if I've ever done this race before and I say no. he says that we haven't even started to climb and says I'll see in a couple miles.

I'm not sure where it was exactly, but at some point I was passing some bikes, and someone called out my name (pretty cool the bib numbers had our names on it). at the time, I wasn't sure who it was since it was hard to get much facial recognition with a quick glance backwards.

Just before mile 30, we begin the climb. I stayed in the saddle for a bit, but finally had to get out of the saddle to climb (which I literally never do on long training rides). I pass some and get passed by many.

Somewhere around mile 35, my right knee starts to hurt a little bit which likely means I'm a little off on my biomechanics (probably knee is inward too much so it's not tracking cleanly). I focus on that, but also pop some ibuprofen to be sure, which I know I'm also likely going to need on the run. I also take a caffeinated vanilla gu. A bit later, I'm getting hungry so i work on eating a Perfect Zone bar. i didn't really think through my nutrition plan, but I know my aerobic base is pretty solid so I'm not too worried about bonking, but I hate have an empty stomach and I'm sure I can use the fuel later.

At about mile 40, the first women begin to pass. Also, some 50-something year old guy passes with some hugely massive legs that look as thick as my waist. I drop my chain again, which is annoying.

The marines at the aid station were very cool as they cheered on and even ran to keep pace with me to give me my gatorade bottle. Thank you marines and volunteers.

The last 10 miles are pretty fun with relatively flat riding. My legs are still feeling great so long ride training this year paid off well.

As I near transition, DW cheers me on.

Afterward, others noted how windy it was, but I had no frame of reference so it seemed fairly normal to me although I did get blown around a little bit.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s

As we're coming into transition, we have to wind around single file/no passing to the back of the transition area. I, of course, get stuck behind some guy who is going a bit slowly. Granted, as we fell behind the others in front of us, it probably only made 15 a second (or less) difference, but it in the middle of a race, it certainly feels longer!

Otherwise, transition went extremely smoothly. Reason it was so long was that I really had to pee after not having peed on the bike portion. When I finally went, I really had to go for awhile, but it was definitely worth the time!!

I catch a glimpse of the race clock on my way out, the first time marker since I don't have watch on or a bike computer. It's just past 4 hours, so I'm thinking I'm going to finish at something past 6 hours race time.
  • 1h 45m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile

My legs feel a little leaden as I start out (wish I had done some bricks in training), but not too bad. DW is cheering on the sidelines. I get into my ironman shuffle and feel pretty slow and get passed quite a bit and slowly creep up on a few folks. I'm slightly dehydrated from the bike portion so I hit the first aid station and get some gatorade. After the first two miles, my legs start to loosen up. I'm hitting every aid station and getting either water or gatorade.

There are a lot of challenged athletes on the run (they started after the pros) and they are very inspirational. Some with a bum leg, some with one leg, some with no legs.

As I hit the turnaround, all the muscle memory of so much running (at least last year) takes over and it all just flows. My knee isn't hurting at all so that's a very good sign. Calf seems okay, although it's letting me know it's still there so I don't forget about it.

The crowds were pretty cool about calling out your name (from your bib) to cheer you on. I start watching for PBF to see how he's doing. As I was maybe within a mile of the turnaround point, I saw finally saw him. he said he had been cramping, which was his big concern, so I knew he was in for a tough run.

As I approach the turnaround, DW is there to cheer and take a picture. She asks me how I'm doing and I tell her I feel good and she tells me I look strong.

A few minutes after coming around the turnaround and starting lap 2, waterdog called out my name from the other side. It was very cool to see him out there. I honestly thought he was finishing his run and was thinking how he totally smoked the course; I had no idea what time it was or what my pace was so it seemed pretty reasonable that he was 45 or more minutes ahead of me.

So I keep running and I'm hitting my stride. At about mile 8, I heard someone beside me call out my name and it's PBF. He's in a bit of pain from his cramping. I ask him if he needs anything, but he says no. i tell him to hang in there.

My body knows what to do so I just keep on running, er, shuffling. Water or gatorade and sometimes a wet sponge at every station. The miles click off. I'm starting to feel the lack of endurance a little bit and my right quad is getting sore, but the gray matter is still commanding enough to push the meat around. I'm a little surprised at how comfortable I am with the muscular discomfort and I just try to maintain the level of effort. In, the last mile, I try to pick up the pace some more since I know I only have 10 minutes left to endure. When I can see the finish line, I try to pick up the pace, but I can't muster much more speed and can't close the gap on anyone ahead. The volunteers at the finish line are putting up the finishing ribbon for each participant which is nice. There must be some pavlovian-like response to the finishing ribbon because everyone, me included, raise our arms in triumph as we cross. I eventually turn around and he see the race clock and it reads 5:48 or so.
What would you do differently?:

I haven't done any brick training at all this year, so that might have helped with the sluggish first mile or so on the run. I normally would have done more run volume, but, I can't complain on standalone half mary PR is 1:39.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line a volunteer puts the finisher's medal around my neck. I get my timing chip removed. A volunteer gives me a cap and a t-shirt. I get some gatorade. I see DW and go over and kiss her and she tells me I did great. I relax and stretch with her awhile. We talk about PBF to try to figure when he'll finish so we can be around at that time.

I go to the bathroom and then I head to the food tent which is a short walk away. I'm feeling quite good. At the food tent, it's mini bagels, hard pretzels, orange, bananas, cookies, and Little Caesar's pizza. There are many dozens of boxes of this pizza which has been sitting out for awhile. It's pretty lame pizza, but at this point, I don't care and begin wolfing down a couple pieces. I grab a cola and sit for awhile.

I see DW and we figure out a game plan. I go pack up my stuff in transition, but leave it there for now since we're waiting for PBF. I go out and of the finisher/transition area and hang with DW. We sit and enjoy the sun and the beach for a bit. Eventually, we head back to the finish area to wait for PBF.

After waiting near the finish area for awhile I'm not sure if I missed him so I decide to go back to the food tent to look for thim there. On the way, I bump into waterdog again. We chat for a bit. He tells me the course was much harder than last year because of the winds. I had no idea since I had no frame of reference, but definitely anybody who was very aero had a significant advantage over those who didn't. Then I go on to look for PBF. I don't see him in the food tent so I go back to the finish. DW tells me that I just missed him and he's headed to the food tent. i go back and catch up to him. He looks pretty beat and he's limping a bit.

He starts to get some food and then we run into waterdog again. We spend a good amount of time chatting with him which was a lot of fun. We're not sure if we'll make it to Yanti's 6pm thing, but hopefully we'll see him there.

PBF get some food and water and rests up for awhile. He looks beat. He rests up for awhile. DW, still on the sidelines, says she has to go since she has a nail appointment. PBF eventually feels good enough to go back to transition to pack up. He's still limping a bit though and walking very slowly and gingerly. We eventually walk back to the motel room where we wash up and rest up.

At about 5pm, DW comes back and we all get ready to go to dinner. PBF had already mapped out where we were going to go - Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad. Tip Top is part butcher shop/restaurant and part european grocery. You can order whatever meat you want which they'll cook up and for $3 in addition to the cost of the meat, they give you sides of saurkraut, red cabbage, and a salad or soup. I had the filet mignon, DW had the same, and PBF ordered two plates of meat - one sirloin and one prime rib. We all really liked the concept of the butcher shop/restaurant, but the meat ultimately was quite disappointing - not too flavorful, too tough, and generally overcooked. Still, PBF and I pretty much made sure just about everything was eaten. That was quite a lot of meat/protein, which is often a recurring theme when we dine with PBF!

We did enjoy the grocery. i was impressed with the marzipan pig (even colored the marzipan pink). DW and I bought some dark chocolate and I also bought a couple different honeys.


Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
00:35:08 | 1931 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 132/380
Overall: 643/1958
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course: swim course is an out and back along a curved line starting in the harbor and then out a bit into the ocean and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Time: 04:50
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
02:56:41 | 56 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 131/380
Overall: 592/1958
Wind: Headwind
Course: I'm sure others have better course descriptions, but the course is basically a big loop. The first half of the course is pretty flat. There is a little out and back section into Camp Pendelton in the first 1/3 of the race. There are a couple climbs, the most notable before mile 30 with a 8%-9% grade. There are aid stations every 15 miles. Last 10 miles are pretty flat.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 03:13
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
01:45:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/380
Overall: 445/1958
Course: The run is basically a flat course with some minor bumps. It's an out and back course, 2 loops. It's primarily on concrete. The first half of the course runs along the beach and the second through residential neighborhood.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Course challenge
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

2008-03-31 6:04 PM

User image

San Francisco
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2008-03-31 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1306126

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

CONGRATULATIONS, Mr. Tri Nerd!!! What a fantastic race for you, especially coming off injuries and then dropping your chain twice. Especially impressive run, so close to open 1/2 time.

Sorry we didn't get to meet, but it was cool just to know you were out there, and super job!!!

2008-03-31 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1306126

User image

Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

Great job out there Donato

That was me that hollared your name out in the Campground as you zoomed by me. You were in the swim wave behind me and it did not take you long to catch up with your super speedy bike split. I Saw you up ahead on the run course a few times but was never able to catch up to you. (Was also chasing a guy from my Tri club out on the run)

It was very cool to finally meet you after missing the opportunity at so many races last season.

You really cranked it out there with a very strong and well paced performance. Don't know if you can still get to it, but the Athlete Tracking on has your overall placement at the end of each leg. (As opposed to your rank for each) You consistently moved up in the field in each of the 3 disciplines which suggests you finished very strong.

Rest up and take care. You have a lot of racing to do this season

Edit: OK, I went and captured it before they shut the site down:



TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (35:08)1:50/100m644

TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (2:56:40)19.02 mph576

TOTAL RUN13.1 mi. (1:45:11)8:01/mile502

Notice that each leg you are moving up through the field. You made up 74 overall positions just in the run

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-03-31 6:21 PM
2008-03-31 6:19 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-31 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

Wow! Great race!

It has been amazing to see you come back from injury so quickly. I think this race proved that you are back- and an incredible athlete.

Well done

2008-03-31 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

Well, you're welcome for the "dive" recommendation, LOL

And it wouldn't be a donato report without appropriate gastronomic coverage as well, I love it.  O Side isn't known for its cuisine

You don't need me tell you you rocked the course with the training you did.  Congrats

2008-03-31 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Athens, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great race report. As I read your prerace description I started getting all pumped like I was about to start the race. Congrats on a great race.
2008-03-31 8:00 PM
in reply to: #1306126

I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great race report and WTG on overcoming your injuries! I was at the race volunteering. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.
2008-03-31 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great read and race.
2008-03-31 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Way to go out there!  Sounds like you had a rough patch of injuries to battle through leading up to the race.  I'm glad to hear that not everyone with a disc wheel rides at 40 mph, because I was beginning to think that was the case.
2008-04-01 12:41 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

Great job Donato! Unbelievable that you came through so well after all the set backs earlier in the year.

BTW, when I lived in SD we used to go to Tip Top quite often. They make some mean corned beef and cabage!

Congrasts on surviving without Peets!

2008-04-01 2:11 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

This is an amazing race and a great race report.

 You have made significant progress from the injuries earlier this year.  Congrads on everything coming together.  Smoking bike and run times.  Woo Hoo!!!!

2008-04-01 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Donato, another great R.R.! Even comming off injuries that time is great!
2008-04-01 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great race and report.  Sorry about the chain drops.  Good luck at Lanzarote and Wisconsin.  Man, you must really love hills!
2008-04-01 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1306126

New user
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Dude you're fast. Hopefully you will come back next year. I would stick to burrito joints for post race re fueling...O-side has some quality ones.
2008-04-02 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Mill Valley
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great report.
Fantastic result given the injuries you've been working through. You crushed the run having only a couple weeks to build back to the distance!

Looks like this is a great start to a busy year for you.
Best of luck to you at Lanzarote and Wisconsin!


2008-04-02 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1306126

New user

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
How do you swim so fast????? That's something I just can't seem to get the knack of.

And no brick work-outs and you run a 1:45 off the bike? Amazing!

Great report! And congrats on a job well done!

P.S. It's pretty cool that now I know that the guy you talked to in the lobby of the GH was my Canadian boy!

Edited by hrthomson 2008-04-02 11:47 AM
2008-04-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great race & report!
2008-04-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1306126

Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

Once again another Great race report.

 I can't believe you like to race without a watch or Bike computer.  I'd be lost.  But I guess it makes it easier to go by feel while racing.

 Great day & fantastic race after the injuries you have had. 

Can't wait to read about the upcoming two Ironmans you have scheduled.

 Nicely done!!! 

2008-04-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1306126

scottsdale, az
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
I think that was one of the best race reports I've ever read, now I know how to write it next time. Very well done!! And with all the injuries this year as well, you are a fighter!!
2008-04-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1306126

Central New York
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great results, especially considering the fact that you're a little banged up. Congratulations on an excellent race.

How was the tempranillo?

Edited by Xan 2008-04-05 10:31 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed