Oceanside, California
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 5h 46m 33s
Overall Rank = 804/1958
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 128/265
Pre-race routine:

This will be the third time I have done this race as a way to kick off the season. The past two years it has fallen about 3 – 4 months in to my IM CDA training plan, this year it was about 2 months into my non-existent plan to have a fun summer. I definitely feel much less trained and fit now then in the previous years but I feel on track for what I want to do later in the summer. Even with my fitness level I was excited for this race and the 2008 season.

After going out to dinner with the family we got back to the hotel room and I finished putting all the stickers on everything, timing chip on strap, and packed transition bag. Tried going to bed around 8:30 but didn’t get to bed until a little after 9 and didn’t fall asleep until about 10:30. About 10 there was a little extracurricular activity going on in the room upstairs and the girl seemed to be enjoying herself. (2 mornings later the guy was heaving from about 4 AM on – good times).

Got up around 3:30 to eat early and hopefully get to use the hotel bathroom (success!). Tim (Waterdog66) picked me up at 4:45 for the drive to the transition. Tim has given me a ride for the last two years and he is enjoyable to drive in with as he is always positive and upbeat. My family loves being able to sleep in to a more reasonable hour and drive to the race start.

Got to transition and staked out my small slice under the rack marked 600. Nothing special. I really intended to go for a short jog but wound up just standing in port-a-potty lines.

Pre Race Nutrition:
• Evening – pasta with some chicken @ 6PM. 1 can Ensure at midnight restroom trip.
• Morning – 2 cans Ensure, 1 PBnJ @3:45AM. 1 Balance bar :45 before wave start. 1 pint water from wake up to wave start.

Event warmup:

Turns out - no.
Swim
  • 40m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

2008 – 40:33, 2007 – 37:19, 2006 – 37:20

In the past few years my swim needed work, now after slowing down even more I certainly need to work on it. I really shouldn’t be surprised as I have spent very little time in the water this year.

The conditions were actually very good. The water temp was about 60 which is cold but feels great after you have done this race when it was 55. Although slow the swim went well for me. I was able to get space and stay pretty much on course. I have tended to try to escape to Hawaii in past races only to have some guy on a surfer come over and yell at me to make a 45 degree turn and get back on course. It’s nice not to have some surfer dude yelling at you at 7 AM. The way out felt very relaxed and the way in felt good until I realized the end wasn’t coming up soon.

What would you do differently?:

Work on stroke so as not to cross arms over. I am still relying on the black line of the pool for my arm positioning and with the black line gone and in my wetsuit my arms were all over.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

A little slow but nothing to panic about. I did drop a custom made ear plug running in transition and spent a little time looking for it. It's lost....
Bike
  • 2h 54m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

2008 – 2:54:05, 2007 – 2:47:19, 2006 – 2:56:31
Bike Nutrition:
• 1 bottle single strength Infinit. Plan to drink by first aid station at mile 15. Throw bottle and rack a water bottle.
• 1 bottle double strength Infinit. Drink ½ bottle from aid station 1 to aid station 2 at mile 30. Chase with water. Aid station 2 throw water bottle rack new water bottle. Finish Infinit by aid station 3 at mile 49.
• Aid station 3 rack Gatorade and water bottle. Determine fuel needs and act accordingly. Have one GU taped to bike if needed.

I really love riding a bike! Cruising along a route I haven’t ridden hundreds of times is so much fun. This is a great course with good ocean front riding, some hills, and interesting woodsy, marine areas. How many “Tank Crossing” signs do you see on your training ride? Time was down some from last year partially due to fitness and partially due to the headwinds picking up much earlier on the back side of the course.

Bike started out well. A slight tailwind going along the ocean made for an easy ride out. I was feeling real good until the first aid station at mile 15. I took the last gulp of my first Infinit bottle and tossed it. Grabbed the first water bottle and noticed they were giving out smallish disposable sport top bottles, oh well no more cool Gatorade bike bottles. I rode through the aid station and the very last station they were giving out the good Gatorade bike bottles full of water so I grabbed one. I had the Gatorade bottle I one hand holding on to the aero bar and the other casually went to toss the disposable bottle when my front wheel did a 90 degree turn to the ocean. I dropped both the disposable bottle and the Gatorade bottle and used some mad skills to stay upright. Damn! That spooked the heck out of me for a bit. Now I had a small problem. I had 15 miles to the next aid station, a double strength solution of Infinit and no water. What was this going to do to my gut and hydration levels? I figured I was going to find out.

I got to the first hill and rode it fairly conservatively. At the bottom is where the headwind started. Oh man why now? Usually the last 10 or so miles is into the wind but it was coming through the valley pretty good at mile 30. I pretty quickly realized the need to back off and save myself. Apparently I’m getting wiser with age because in years past I would have had to show that wind who was boss. The good news at this point was I got a water bottle (disposable :() and didn’t feel too bad about drinking half a bottle of concentrated feed.

After the last aid station with 7 miles left I actually was starting to feel shelled. Normally I’m still pumped with adrenaline and going good at this point. I was slightly worried what this would mean for the rest of the day. This is also when I realized my heart rate monitor was no longer waterproof. I looked to see what my time was going to be coming off the bike and all I saw was a watch face with steam on the inside. Bummer. I’ve changed the battery before with no problems but my luck ran out.

Not be greedy and get the cool bottles. As my kids say you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Again a little slow. After getting my run stuff on I backed tracked to a row of toilets but they were all full so I just hit the course.
Run
  • 2h 04m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

2008 – 2:04:32, 2007 – 2:19:20, 2006 – 2:19:48

Run Nutrition:
• Fuel belt with 4 8 oz bottles of half Gatorade and Red Bull – abondened, left at transition
• Plan B – alternate water and Gatorade taking GU at mile 4 and 8. Some Cola on 2nd lap if desired.

The past year I haven’t really had time goals for HIM rather my goal was to just be able to run the run and not resort to the run/walk/want-to-die scenario. For long distance tris I haven’t been successful at that – until this race!!

Hit the run and was feeling ok, not great but not bad. I immediately noticed I was running way too fast for me. I plan on doing 10 minute miles and I was under 9 for the first mile but was having a hard time slowing down. At the mile 1 aid station someone came out of the port-a-potty so I ran right in. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! When I opened the door I look up and hear “Hi Paul!” Huh? It’s Tim, now I knew he was going to be passing me on the run course but I never expected it to be at mile 1. Using my new found running prowess I ran off his right shoulder, step for step. How exciting to be keeping up with a Boston Qualifier! Seriously that was the most impressive 10 seconds of my life until he was half way up the board walk and out of sight.

The miles kept going; mile 2 – 9:14, mile 3 – 9:15…. Still too fast. Oh well I guess I’m going to blow sky high pretty soon. I looked for my heart rate to see how near death I was but it still showed a foggy little screen with no numbers. I got to mile 7, the point where the wheels fell of last year, still running, hurts but still running. I was wishing for the cheap beer drinking, crank “Eye of the Tiger” all day group on the board walk but there little run down shack was gone and something with a much higher price tag was in its place.

When I got to the last turn around I knew I was somehow running this thing in. I feeling good that I didn’t know my heart rate as I knew I was about to die. It was awesome actually passing people during the last few miles of a race instead of watching the parade go by. When I got to the little uphill by the condos with about half a mile to go I so much wanted to just walk that hill but I didn’t let myself plus there was a big old marine standing there and I couldn’t disrespect him, so I ran to the finish.

Obviously I'd like to be faster but that was the best result I could have honestly hoped for. I am still so happy. Weird I'm kicking myself for spending 1.5 minutes in the bathroom. I could have averaged 9:20 miles! Kidding - very happy
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Tim in the finisher tent eating pizza and talke to him for a bit. Oddly he had already driven home, showered, changed, and came back for a snack. Packed my stuff up listening to some Jimmy Buffet palying in transition. On the beach in So Cal - life is good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Will improve with training.

Event comments:

Summer 2008 here I come!

This actually turned out to be my best HIM.
2008 - 5:46:33, 2007 - 5:50:41, 2006 - 6:02:33

My run actually pulled the race out for me.

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 188/265
Overall: 1232/1958
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Predator full
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:05 | 56 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 76/265
Overall: 505/1958
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:32 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/265
Overall: 0/1958
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-01 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2008-04-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1307721

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great job out there. Keeping up with Tim for ten seconds is no small feat, especially coming off the bike. It's like keeping up with Tim for 20 seconds with fresh legs. You're halfway to Boston yourself.

Seriously...congratulations on a very strong race. Loved reading your RR. Sex before a HIM is really satisfying...even if it is the upstairs neighbors.
2008-04-01 1:05 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Paul, congrats on the PR!  Especially great job on the run.

that incident on the bike sounded scary.  The tank crossing sign in the road was cool.  I was bummed too about not getting a decent water bottle out of it all since I ditched a really good one. 

2008-04-01 1:21 PM

User image

no green water bottles???  what a rip

COngrats on the overall improvement!  Great race report, LOL, the best 10 seconds of the run.  I reckon I'd stay with Tim for 3 seconds, so you are speedy

2008-04-01 1:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-01 1:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-04-01 1:49 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

I can never find the big Green Gatorade bottles.  All I ever get is the small ones. 

Good recovery on the front Wheel turn.   Awesome Run.

2008-04-01 1:56 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Paul

It was a big boost to see a familiar face out on the run course, especially in the first few miles when the going is always a bit rocky.

As I expected, you did well on the swim and really cranked the bike. When I saw you go by me on the bike, I knew we were not going to be playing tag this year. I had actually named the last hill of the ride "Paul's Hill". (The one you forgot about last year )

Great job on the Personal Best Time this year. I know that we all suffered in the wind, but it seems like you suffered a lot less than most

See you next year. Should I plan on picking you up at 4:45 AM again?

2008-04-01 7:24 PM

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Great race!  That improving trend looks good. 

I'm curious where you had your bike racked.  I know that there were just a few space between my spot and the end, but I'm not sure where the cutoff was.  I had bib 590, so if you were all the way in at the end of the rack then we were just a few spots apart.  But if you were out by the aisle then you'd have been on the next rack.

2008-04-01 7:31 PM

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS on a great season opener for you. Loved the RR ... yeah, I dug the Tank Crossing signs too ... but where I really perked up was the Taco Bell sign

Great job taking it easy on Mount Mo-Fo, and glad the digestion worked out Way to push through the winds.

You know, Tim was waiting in that port a pot just for you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed