United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 19s
Overall Rank = 28/229
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke early. Had a bagel with cream cheese, and sipped water. Arrived at racesite about 6:00am. Racked my bike (rack space is allotted by Seed/Bib # ranges), checked out all my gear, pumped up my tires, laid out my T/A. Visited the head. Helped my sister-in-law set up her T/A.
Event warmup:

Took a 10-min. run out-and-around the race site.
Swim
  • 08m 50s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasn't feeling "it" this morning, or at yesterday's last minute maintenance swim. Started out too fast trying to stay "within my seed", and ended up having to take a breather at the 400m mark.
What would you do differently?:

Take it easier in the first 200m, pace myself.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

It was a bit chillier in the morning, at around 7:10am when I entered T1. Couldn't quite decide what to wear--as my sister-in-law had said it was "chilly" in the mornings a few days earlier. But, the weather was substantially warmer yesterday and this morning. Indecision cost me about 20 seconds. Decided to go with just arm warmer and gloves.

Don't dicker about deciding what to wear. Decide beforehand, and just stick with it.
Bike
  • 41m 20s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Hammered the bike...with abandon. Had such a crappy swim, that I decided to just have "fun" on the ride and went for it. Figured I'd just hang on for the run (and barely did).

Lots of traffic monitors with flags at all the intersections, but I was almost taken out by a black Toyota RAV all the same. Idiot driver, who MUST'VE seen all the riders in the bike lane decided to turn right into a stripmall and almost took me out in the process. All I had time for was an "Oh sh*t!". A traffic monitor at the next intersection witnessed the whole thing, and stood there with jaw dropped at how close I was to being roadkill.

Was out of the saddle on all the climbs, and hammered the downhills. I knew I was sacrificing the run, but it was too late to change anything about that.

Probably should've paced myself better, but was just having too much fun passing people on the bike. Wasn't passed myself. But, then again, I was at suicide pace. Also, should've hydrated more. I wasn't thirsty "on the bike", but I know better and I should've drank before getting any hint of thirst.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Came in too T2, Bike In, way too fast. First race of the season...just too excitable I guess. Coming up to the Dismount Line, I braked hard, got my feet down, but the momentum of my bike almost caused me to endo. Yikes! Ran to my T/A, off with helmet, gloves, arm warmer, cleats...on with shoes and visor. Go!

Taken in more water, as I was severely dehydrated after the bike--where I sipped perhaps only 3 or 4 times.
Run
  • 25m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Well...paid I did for hammering on the bike. Felt like my feet were made of lead. But, plugged along. "Form under duress" was my mantra. Didn't stop. Didn't walk. Running HURT--but this is triathlon...and its supposed to hurt. The last segment of the run was an assisted-downhill portion where I was able to open up a bit. I was passed by only 2 runners, which was good I suppose.

Show some restraint on the bike, and pace myself to save something for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the finish line with the family, waiting for my sister-in-law to finish her race. Grabbed my camera with telephoto lens and took some pics.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor race strategy, lack of hydration discipline.

Event comments:

If you're looking for a great first-timer's Sprint, or just an early season tune-up, this is a great little race.

But don't expect any timing chip or mats, everything was old-fashioned manual/analog. Record your own splits, because you'll only get an Overall Time.

Great atmosphere and very supportive crowd.

Last updated: 2008-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:50 | 400 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/229
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Serpentine pool swim, 8x50m. Seeded start, with swimmers taking off at 10-second intervals.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:20 | 14 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Nice ride, through some commercial, backwoods, and residential. Race organizers did a good job or having traffic monitors. Ride was mostly short rollers.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:09 | 03.11 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The run was a little hilly course through the surrounding neighborhood with 2 turnarounds.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-26 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: Moraga Treeline Triathlon

2008-04-26 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1363663

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Moraga Treeline Triathlon
It was a fun race. Great time out there.
2008-04-27 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Great race.  I wish I had caught up with you after the race.  I can't believe that you almost got wiped out on the bike.  But you have to put into perspective.  You were what was standing between that driver and their double whipped blended mocha crapachino.  Brian had similar issue with cars.

I love that race--I feel like I'm on my home course.  For a little sprint there are quite the hills.  They took the big hill out from last year too!  For me I have a problem with the swims.  I don't practice going under the lane lines.  I never feel like I get it right.  One of the swimmers who passed me did something interesting. She stayed in the lane and then did her flip turn and then sprang forward and then crossed the lane lines then.

Excellent time. 

2008-04-27 9:36 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Great race!  Sounds like you did it about right to me - hard on the bike and hang on for the run.
2008-04-27 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Pics from the race

Here's a pic of our Cowbell Section! It was great, as I approached the school from the neighboring blocks I could hear the cowbells in the distance--and knew my kids would be amongst the chorus of bells.

Little did I know when I outfitted my two girls and nephew that they were a hit (an possibly annoyance at some point) with the whole crowd. Surprisingly there weren't any other cowbells around, so, they were pressed into "cowbell service" by spouses and family members for many-a-racer coming down the finishing lap!

Here's me in my new 2008 Team ZootGU uniform. I wasn't feeling much "zoot" or scoot by this point.

Here's my sister-in-law, Betsy (left), on the finishing sprint. She had WAY TOO much energy left at the end of the race! This was her first triathlon ever.

Here's a group shot of the two racers and Cowbell Section. From left to right: Betsy, Cameron, Griffin, Jordan, Spencer, and me.

2008-04-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1364325

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
wieczynski - 2008-04-27 6:23 AM

Great race. I wish I had caught up with you after the race.

Dude, the Sprint race was only the first of the day.  The second was the race to Millie's Kitchen!  Didn't you know?

Seriously,  I wish I had stuck around to chat with you other BT'ers too.  But, we were pressed for time to grab breakfast, and get the kids back to the Peninsula--one for a swim party, the other for a birthday party. 

2008-04-28 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Monday morning...still no results.  That's kinda lame if you ask me.

Anyway, 2007 results here for comparison's sake.  2008 results eventually here .  Timing company was onyourmarkevents.com apparently. 

2008-04-28 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Last year it took them until Tuesday I think to get the results posted.

Great race. My wife was saying that there was someone else with a Team Zoot/Gu suit out there, so I figured it had to be you.

I almost got wiped out twice by people making right turns. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!
2008-04-28 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Great job! It's good that you're critical of your race strategy -- that's how we improve, right? -- but there's something to be said for going all out and having a good time on the bike. And that was a stellar bike (and not a bad run, either). Looks like you had a great time kicking off the season! Congrats to the sister-in-law too on her first.

FYI, my experience with onyourmarkevents.com has been that they can take a while to post results. We waited almost a week for a race I did last month.
2008-04-28 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Thanks, everybody, for the kind words!

Brian, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet a Zoot/GU Teammate. I was looking for anyone else in the uniform (kinda hard to miss, huh?).

Here's a copy of the email I received from Mark at onyourmarkevents:

I understand...At my end I just spent 1 1/2 hours creating a "top 3 " in age group for the Lafayette//Moraga//Orinda Newspaper...

Had to be done this AM , as it is a weekly...

Because of the 2 issues , I had to do it by hand....

Moraga's error was a 'rookie' race staff....the participant error was the participants fault....

I don't know what they will have us do with

her...but it affected the times of the 191 participants who came after her , including you...

Your NEW adjusted time will//should be 1:20:19....

I hope today, for the complete set...

m

I had forwarded this email to Betsy, and here was here reply:

Nice Time!!! I think I saw the woman that went out of order. When I was waiting to go into the pool, there was a "blond" woman, with fake "talents", but muscle-y and a total ding-bat. She didn't realize her number was up and she was still dressed and walking around....someone told her that her she better hurry, she shrieked and ran to get her stuff....

Edited by guncollector 2008-04-28 2:39 PM
2008-04-29 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Hey, great job at the race!!  And got your sister-in-law into it, too. 

Running with lead legs sure hurt!  Ouch.  But you did it at a great pace!  Nice work there.

2008-04-29 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Nice race! sorry I didn't get to meet you! looks like you had a successful day! I can not believe people who try and beat you into the parking lot! DUMB A$$E$$! glad you were able to scoot past them! Just went to look for our results....still not posted! When I spoke with Mark from the Timing company...he said they would be posting the results soon....hmm soon to him must be different then what I am thinking it means! Congratulations on the race!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moraga Treeline Triathlon Rss Feed