United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 15s
Overall Rank = 3/14
Age Group = 50/59
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up just after 4am had to load the bikes, pre-packed bags and myself so that we could drive the forty-five minutes to hour it took to ride to the course and pick up our packets by the mandatory 6:30 registration closing time. While DH was packing bike, I made myself a big bowl of flax/nutri grain/almonds, dried fruit /honey cereal with soy. Right as I arrived at the event, I forced myself to eat clif bar. Placed bike and gear in transition...got my marks and went to go watch the swimmers! oh boy am I in trouble...they are fast! ;)
Event warmup:

Believe it or not, I do not know what is up...but I was not in the least bit nervous. Did a few stretches, and before I had too much time to think about the race, I was in the water and attempting to swim. ;)

I do not have split times, because I forgot to start my watch until I was well into my ride. I had the bike computer for the bike ride, but will wait to add the times when the official results get posted.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a 400 meter pool swim. - Yeah, yeah...a drop in the bucket to many of you...but to me this was an ironman swim! hehe The water was very warm...too warm in fact. Just as I got in the pool...she started counting down from 10 seconds. I must admit the rookie in me...had me take off like a mad lady the first two laps. I was a baad girl and went an-aerobic - just as I had been told not to do by my brother and many of you! For such a short swim, I was not doing what I had practiced, nice slow steady strokes! and paid for it dearly in the last few laps...my DH was there every time I came to the end of the pool (both sides)...he is sooo cute and such a keeper! he did nothing but encourage me...told me to slow down..just finish! and thank goodness that happened..and not a moment too soon for me! :)

Time to get back to the pool and do some re-thinking of this swim stuff!
What would you do differently?:

SWIM MORE...and then SWIM MUCH MORE! I will be spending much more time in the pool...THIS IS MY WEAKEST LINK!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a fabulous Transition....swam in a tri suit and all I had to do was to throw on a pair of bike shorts over them...so that I would not get too sore from the saddle. Plopped down and thru on sox with my bike shoes, grabbed the glasses and my bib number and belt...put them on, helmet in hand with glasses and began to run to the exit of T1....got helmet on and strapped as I was running and glasses just as I got to the line...jumped on bike and was out chasing the few people in front of me - had eyed a few of them to see who I needed to catch when I did get on my bike.

Nothing...good transition time
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Just out of the transition was able to pass my first lady who was half a year from being in my class...saw 49.9 mark on her leg. I looked down and saw that I was keeping my average speed at close to 20mph for the flats...hit the canyon area and noticed that my time was not as fast...durn hills! I still was able to pick of a good 12 riders before I got to the turn around at the school....these are probably some of those durn fast swimmers who blew past me in the pool...was glad to be able to get them back...MUWAHAHA! PLUS, I was expecting to be constantly passed in all parts of the race...but I only got passed by 4 male riders in ther first ten miles..and then only by two more just after rounding the corner back onto Moraga after the neighborhood climb... just as one was about to pass, he said good job Julie...I look over and see it is Brian (bhoover) he was seeded 50 back from me...he was flying on his bike! I began to shout for him to go and then thought...oh yeah...I need to go, too! I encouraged all I passed, as it is a spirited thing - and in all the years of racing, it has always meant a lot to me when anyone would say to me good job!.....I pulled in to T2 feeling fabulous...almost forgot to stop at the line...I KNOW THIS IS A ROOKIE MOVE...but HEY - this is my first race and I was fired up! ;) the crowd was great, too! they laughed as I almost wrecked trying to come to a stop! ;)

Need to drink more on the rides. I have always been bad about hydrating during rides - it is the competitiveness in me..I always feel I will lose time...that is why I love my camelback pouch, but did not think I would need it for such a short fast ride. I do hate to reach down and grab the water bottle...although I did on the ups!

Not much...felt really good on my bike...need to hydrate more!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Another great transition....took the helmet off as I was running back to my T2 area. Plopped down and pulled on my tennis shoes...had to tie them. I do not have the fancy laces. I grabbed my fuel belt and hat and took off...felt really fast, but since I do not have my split times yet...we will see!

not much. felt good!
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Need to continue to work on my running. Longer distance with more hills will be good for me!

Train more in the hills...very glad that they took out the KILLER hill at the first of the run...I would have been done in if they would have left it in!
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to transition area to get my items, but DH had already retrieved most of it...grabbed my bike and remaining items and headed to car to load them
I was unsure as to my finish, but just heard from the City of Moraga that I did indeed place 3rd in my age group. Even happier now! not sure of the total amount of woman in my group, but was told with a month to go that there were 7 of us. I think we may have had around 15 signed up on race day. Again I am not sure how many I raced. My time compared to last years race would have gotten me a first place, so this made me very happy...those darn girls must have been training just as hard as me...their times improved! regardless, all I expected to do was get my finish...had no idea that I could place!!

I could not have gotten here without my great BT cheerleading squad! all those on my mentors team...AMY IND, Dee, Emerson, Eric...you all were always sending me inspires...then all the extended sisters and brothers that I have from the various Challenge teams...man oh man do I feel loved! and totally inspired! you are the bestest extended family around.....and I thank you all for your amazing encouragement! I told my husband that I found the best cartoon online...it was a picture of someone hugging their computer and it said below: I LOVE MY COMPUTER...BECAUSE ALL MY FRIENDS ARE IN THERE! and that is just how I feel about you guys! thanks for all the love you have shared with me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight!! Although I have lost over 40 lbs, I still have another 25+ to go. Will then feel much better about running!

pictured above is Brian (bhoover), me (girl passing on left), Geof (wiezenski) and a coworker of Geofs' that pre-rode the course with us the weekend before the race...oh and Gwen's son.

Event comments:

Would have given it a five, but was disappointed that they would combine mens and womans classes for medals...then after speaking with one of the race coordinators, he stated this was a mistake and they would be mailing out the other medals to all the woman who placed...
Would have been nice to get mine there, but I am still very happy to have placed 3rd in the 50-59 age group. Was told there were over 10 woman in my class and they thought more like 15. I was so happy with a finishing medal...and just received a call from the City of Moraga and they informed me my medal will be coming to me in the mail! I am now ecstatic! THANKS DOROTHY! none of this would be possible if you did not inspire me to get off that couch...quit smoking and to lose all this weight!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/14
Performance: Bad
I WAS JUST TOLD BY CITY OF MORAGA...THAT I PLACED 3rd...I had no idea I would place, but of course I am very happy!
Suit:
Course: eight laps of 50m - up and down lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Was a beautiful course and was well guarded from traffic by volunteers....you exit the school and head down a busy street til you past Moraga Way..then you dump into a little one lane road which is rather hilly and tree lined...hence Moraga Treeline Triathlon. Took this rode to the end and went right and up this road...was a bit of a climb but not too bad...a few little ups to get to the school, but nothing to bad...it is on the way out of the canyon that one hill seems to want to stop you! but once over that you have one more hill that takes you into a neighborhood and up to this park...but then mostly down for the rest. I know the hills are what helped me to do so well on this race, this is where I was passing people left and right.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Performance: Average
Course: Took out of the school parking lot and headed for the nice little slightly hilly course...there were two streets you climbed to the top and then basically went back down to climb again. I was able to run the entire course, but some was at my snail pace! I was trying to keep the same cadence going down so that I had enough energy to pull this big body up that next hill...was really happy when I made the final corner with mostly all downhill left. Stride was ok, but I know I can improve my run time..by hitting more hilly runs and doing longer runs. Hit the school parking lot...was greeted by Geoff (wiezenxski) was telling me one last hill to the track and then one lap to the finish...he told me to go right as many were going the wrong way...I hate to say..but in front of everyone I died on that last hill! my Dh was surprised too! he said you run the whole thing and walk the one in front of everyone! OH WELL! I rounded that last corner and as promised...BIG SMILE in place...received my finishing medal! I immediately took it off and held it to the skies...THIS ONE IS FOR YOU DOROTHY! as will all my races be! My DH immediately gave me a big hug and when I looked at him, I saw he was crying. This has been an emotional time for us. He was also thinking of Dorothy and the effects she had on my getting here. I asked the DH if he was ok and he said I am fine, I just think of how you quit smoking and how hard you have been training and I just got choked up! HE IS SUCH THE KEEPER! ;) love that guy!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: Moraga Treeline Triathlon

2008-04-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1367532

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Moraga Treeline Triathlon
I wasn't going to let that guy get past me, even though I already had 4 minutes on him

Great race, great race report. You looked so strong... but what WAS up with the walking in front of the crowd? Sprint baby sprint!!!
2008-04-28 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
YOU ROCK! Nice race! WTG on placing....
2008-04-28 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Cool, been waiting for this race report Julie

You did great out there last weekend.

The reality is that most of the time, we have to figure out what works best of us on race day. Sure we can learn from a few common mistakes from others, but doing a few of these races is worth a great deal.

Something that strikes me is that your calmness on race day. I suspect that your experience in Mtn. Biking and familiarity with the sport had a lot to do with it. Now that I am used to the whole thing, I have been known to take naps in the transition area waiting for my wave to start

Congratulations on your first swim and it definitely suggests your going to do very well here in Mission Bay. (That is such a fun race)

Of course you made it through the swim and did well on the bike and the run and bagged a podium spot in your first race. (Your GPL and your fabulous )

Sounds like your DH makes a very cool Sherpa btw.

2008-04-28 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job with your first tri Julie! You can't ask for much better than getting hardware at your first!!! Congratulations!
2008-04-28 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Well done on your first race.  Welcome to the Tri family.

2008-04-28 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bravo.....great joB!!!!! Congrats
2008-04-28 5:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Way to go, Julie.

I cannot wait to see you!

2008-04-28 6:01 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Placing in your first tri. Way to go!
2008-04-28 6:40 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Fabulous race, Julie! Way to go!!!
2008-04-28 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Nice job, hardware first time out!

2008-04-28 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Awesome Julie... really awesome!  That swim will get better with just more work... keep at it and wow, placing your first race... you are AMAZING!!!
2008-04-28 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1367912

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Congratulations, Julie!!!!

Wow, a podium finish on your first tri!!!! Wowowowowowowow!!!!
2008-04-28 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well done sistah!  What an awesome result and your 1st tri too!!! Schweeeet!!  You're one of us now, there is NO going back
2008-04-28 10:58 PM

User image

, Texas

Great job Julie. I can imagine the loooong 400m you went through. My first tri was a 300yd swim and was the first time I swam 300yds continously Smile

Incredible job placing in your first race. It's a shame you didn't get the hardware at the awards ceremony, but it's a great after-race suprise.

2008-04-29 4:03 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Julie!  WTG -

We are so proud of you and happy for you!  What a great accomplishment -

ps

congrats on the hardware! 

2008-04-29 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats Julie, my TRIATHLETE computer friend who podiumed in her first tri...you made Dorothy PROUD!!!  You must've raced fast to get to those pancakes that were waiting for you...

And tell your DH to quit being so nice...he's making the rest of us look bad...

Pics look fantastic...you do NOT look 50...

Congrats again TRIATHLETE...

2008-04-29 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Awesome job, a podium finish!  You are a triathlete.  Certainly sounds like you did a lot of fishing during the bike and run. 

Very proud of you! 

2008-04-29 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
WOW!  what a fantastic race!  congratulations, Julie!!
2008-04-29 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Super job Julie!!!  I'm so proud of you.
2008-04-29 4:29 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job on your first tri!

Isn't it cool to be a triathlete and win hardware in your first race..neat stuff!

I always like the being slow swimmer aspect of being a fast biker means more folks to pass

You rock~ 

2008-04-29 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

An AG Podium finish in your first tri!  You go, girl!  Fun race report to read too!

See ya round the Bay Area races.  

2008-04-29 7:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Fantastic job!  Podium finish on the first ever tri!!!  Way to go, Julie!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moraga Treeline Triathlon Rss Feed