Racing Underground
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 59s
Overall Rank = 85/412
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, made a smoothie and some oatmeal. Planned to eat the oatmeal at the venue. Left the house at 5:40, right on time, unfortunately, I didn't take into account the time to drive to the race site from once I hit the park. Got my race packet and partially set up my transition area. By the time I was done with that, it was already 6:20+ too late to get my planned ride in before the pre-race meeting.

Guy next to me was struggling to get the tire off when I got back from my run, I unzipped my saddle pack and loaned him my tire iron so he could work with two.
Event warmup:

I did a short jog around the part of the run course and back to the parking lot. Got there and got my bike, shoes and helmet. I did a short spin up the start of the bike course to work through the gears and then down the hill to figure out the temps and what I wanted to wear. Listened to the pre-race meeting and then finished up the transition area. Went out with Kevin for a little over a 1 mile warm-up run and then back to finish up. One last relief stop and then over to the start. Took a gel and water with me and watched the elite go off and then the next wave.
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Our wave had the Clydes and the mens 30-39, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get carried away and go out too fast. My target was to do 7:30's and build up to just below LT by the last mile. There was some jockeying around for positions in the first 1/2 mile after that, I was fairly settled into my pace and place. My RPE and HR was right about what I had hoped for, while I was surprised to see a 7:11 first mile, I was even more surprised when I saw a 7:10 second mile. As we approached a turn, I saw a whole bunch of people out to the right, but the course markers were pointing left. Someone from that group said go left. I guess some from the early wave missed a turn or took a wrong turn. Might have to review the run times of the folks in wave B and see if they are all 7 minutes long. I kept wondering if it was correct, but also knew it was close to a mile in from there, so just went with it. My time for that stretch was 7:30. So either I picked up the pace or it was a bit short of 1.1 miles. I had heard it might have been 30 yds short, my mapping of it looks shorter. I would be curious to see others distances. If this is legit, It is an adult PR by 30+ seconds. I was pumped and just wanted to stay smooth through transition.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, I executed pretty close to how I wanted, only faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Smooth, say my bike and went straight towards it. As I was exiting transition I heard one of the volunteers saying walk it out past the line. Sounded like he was talking to me, cause it was right as I started to mount as I was already past the timing line, but I took a few more steps til I heard Darren say it was the timing line, so I was good.
Did have the fastest T1 in the Clydes !!

Jump on the bike when I cross the line
Bike
  • 50m 31s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it easy going up the hill out of transition trying to get settled in, then I picked it up a little. I took the corner heading down the hill a bit cautiously and lost ground on the folks ahead of me. I settled into a rythymn and was slowly catching those people ahead of me. Had a few folks just fly by me. Then I had had enough and picked up the pace/effort. I went by a bunch until I started going uphill again. I slowed as the HR went up higher than I wanted and stayed steady again. Got up on the dam and saw someone changing a flat. I thought about the guy next to me in transition and wondered how he was faring. Then, I thought, did I ever get my tire iron back? That went to, did I zip up my saddle pack? I reached behind me and the answer was - no. Oops. I felt the CO2 pump and spare, I have yet to check to see about anything else. I tried to zip it up while in motion but couldn't do it. I decided to stop and zip it instead of being distracted by it or worry about losing stuff. Four or five people went by me while I was stopped. I slowly caught up to some of them and went by and took a little longer to go by others. Then one went back by me, so I followed him out to the turnaround and then back. My HR dropped to mid zone 3 so I picked up the pace again but had to drop a gear before getting to the end of the dam. Was cruising back through the park then I didn't have strength to push the HR over zone 2, I couldn't get it over 150. I had never wanted to be off the bike so much. I just spun up the hill and didn't push the downhill. At that point, a trio went by me, 2 of which could have been Clydes. I kept them in sight but just hoped I could run with them and take my chances in the end. Stretched out a bit coming into transition.

More bike base, take it out more smoothly. Make sure the saddle pack is closed
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Got off the bike and was jogging into T2 with it and I couldn't find my Transition spot, went by it by about 10-20 yards and looked back and finally found it. Lost about 10 secs or more. Frustrated with myself but went about getting on with it. Ended up passing one of the "perceived" clydes in T2. Had the 4th fastest Clyde T2 even with my miscue :) After reviewing the splits, I don't think the guy I knew I passed was a clyde, but the other was and he had the lead off the bike but I beat him out of transition.

Remember where my transition spot is, otherwise, I met or exceeded expectations.
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't feel great, but just kept taking quick little steps, then just focused on turnover. I still didn't get HR up where I thought it could be. I hit the first mile in 7:27 so I was slower than the first run, but quicker than my plan. I didn't gain on any one and had a few people go by me. In the second mile I gained on some of the folks ahead of me and finally passed in the last mile, but not many, the rest were too far ahead and the people behind weren't close. I just maintained. I pushed the last bit to break the next "minute" marker. Overall, this was only 30 seconds slower than the first run so I am very happy with how the runs went.

I gave what I had, just kept trying to keep up a good stride rate, HR never went way high.
Post race
Warm down:

Tearing down transition and chillin' in the weather

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient bike base to push

Event comments:

This was my first duathlon and I really didn't know what to expect. I have run more than ever but have not spent the quality time on the bike. Early in the week I realized this. I believed I could do something in the around 1:42 and everything else would be Phil 4:13, "It is not I but Christ who lives within me". Both runs were faster than my previous PR of 22:30 (set in a sprint tri last year at about 300 ft above sea level) My bike time was about at my goal pace, but that goal was not set on anything done this year, but more on "I need this time to reach my 1:40 goal". I set the 1:40 goal, because that is what I thought I would need to win the over 40 Clydesdale category. I nailed the bike time and shattered the run times so I came in under the goal and won the Category. BT was well represented there today even though some were on "injured reserve"
Praise God for this blessing today.
I have a lot of work to get ready for the next race in the series. One friend beat me by 4 minutes and the top of the age group was over 13 minutes faster. Got to keep striving.

Last updated: 2008-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 134/412
Performance: Good
Was zone 2 and 3 for most of the first mile. Did it in 7:11. Second mile was zone 3 and zone 4 and hit it in 7:10. Kept it in zone 3 & 4 for the last mile + and did that in 7:31. I speculate that it was a little short - I have heard 30 yds. I would like to read some other reports when people dump their Garmins.
Course: Road and path with a little down, a little up and a few puddles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:50:31 | 18 miles | 21.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 82/412
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Roads in Cherry Creek res with an out and back across the top of the dam.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 108/412
Performance: Good
First mile marker in 7:27 , second in 7:18, third in 7:39, First mile had a different start but after the first 1/4 or 1/2 mile they were identical
Course: Pretty much same as the first run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 11:39 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Barkin' Dog Duathlon

2008-05-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1394573

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Barkin' Dog Duathlon
Nice job! Congrats on the clydesdale win.
2008-05-11 10:04 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well done Scott!  Looks like you raced just like you planned.  That is so cool that you won the Clyde Div.  Way to go!
2008-05-11 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Congrats on your win, and I envy your run times!
2008-05-11 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Those times look smokin' fast to me! Congrats on your run PR! Sounds like an excellent race.
2008-05-11 7:47 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Way to kill in your division!  Awesome performance.  Too bad we didn't get to meet.  Maybe next time.

2008-05-12 12:25 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Super congratulations, DUATHLETE! Got your first out of the way, and you did great across the board and in getting through a couple of snafus.

2008-05-12 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great Job! Congrats on your Clydes win!!!!
2008-05-13 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Wow great job.  PR's for the 5K's.  That is a great feat for a du.

And congrats on the first.

2008-05-13 1:33 PM

User image

Westminster, CO

awesome race Scott!  great results and congrats taking the podium!! 

keep eating that icr cream to stay a Clyde!

2008-05-14 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Congratulations on the win and the blistering runs.

2008-05-16 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Great race and congrats on the first place. 
2008-05-16 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

NICE race!

It's interesting that this the most you've ever wanted to be off your bike.  Even compared to your IM? 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barkin' Dog Duathlon Rss Feed