Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m
Overall Rank = 21/148
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Drank two cups of coffee and ate a Clif Bar at 5:30am. Drove to the race site and arrived at 6:50am. Stood in packet pick-up line for thirty minutes. Sat up transition area, used the port a potty and stuffed myself into my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

200 meter swim in the lake. I was burning up with a full wetsuit on and I really wanted to get some water into it so I swam 100 meters out and back to try to see if I had it pulled up far enough and to experiment with my breathing. First OWS with a full wetsuit.
Swim
  • 14m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started to the far left of the buoys because I pull right. Most folks were bunched dead center. SO I really stayed out of any traffic up until I reached the first turn buoy. As I was rounding the buoy, I had a mini-panic. I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe and that something was pushing on my chest. I'm sure it was just the pressure of the wetsuit and I told myslef to calm down and let the wetsuit do its job and make my swim easier. I got off rhythm breathing during this section. I went from 3 stroke breathing to every stroke right. Tried to get back into 3 stroke breathing and just focus on reaching the next turn buoy. Made it to the turn and then had to sight (before this I was swimming with my eyes closed to calm down only sighting every 8 strokes) more because I had caught the back end of the wave ahead of me. Had to pick holes to swim through, kind of like bumper cars, but at least it got my mind off of breathing.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice with and without a wetsuit. This race was my first OWS of the year. It was also a PR for this course. I thank the wetsuit for that!
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I got the wetsuit down to my waist as I was running up the beach. Had to really wriggle, squirm and step on the sucker to get it off. This is slower than my usual T1, but not bad at all for the first time with a full wetsuit. Got into traffic at the mount line and started riding without being clipped in. Speedplay pedals are awesome and I was able to clip in without losing momentum.

Practice peeling off the wetsuit more.
Bike
  • 32m 17s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

This felt good. I was having fun cat and mousing a guy on the hills. I felt like I was moving during the second half of the course so I am very puzzled why I was almost 2 minutes slower on the bike this year vs. last year. I felt better, passed a lot of people, the weather was good, I don't know? I am running a 12/27 cassette on the rear while last year I raced an 11/23. That shouldn't make that big of a difference, especially on a hilly course. I did get caught behind a slow guy on the approach to T2. This is a narrow driveway that is coned off and it is almost impossible to pass. I don't think that took almost 2 minutes though.

I'm not really sure. I stayed aero except on the hill at mile 3 and some of the tighter corners, never stood up in the saddle to climb. And I felt really good and had a lot of fun. Kind of dumbfounded by this split.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I was on third rack from the bike finish, so it was easy to find and very quick and easy T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling great, but it is downhill at this point. I was smiling and happy and enjoying myself. Then one of my friends in another age group comes around me at the first mile marker. This isn't too unusual except for the fact that this is early in the run. It usually takes her to the 2, 2.5 mile mark to get me. This was my first real indication that something was off on my bike. I trudged up the hill, trying to take short quick steps and pump my arms. Made it to the top gasping and recovered on the flat across the lake. I tried to kick in into gear here and I passed a few folks on the downhill. As I turned off campus back onto the main highway, I saw my friend that had passed me at mile 1, walking ahead. So I used her as a carrot to try to pick up my pace. I could feel my HR climbing and my breathing becoming gapy because this part was uphill again. I could literally feel my legs slowing down. I tried to keep pushing, but by this time my friend's walk break was over and she was flying!! I turned toward the YMCA and the finish line when another woman came around me. I tried to race her to the finish, but I was no match for her finishing kick.

RUN FASTER. I am so frustrated with running, I could just spit. I run and run and run. My pace has stayed the same. I can run the same pace for much longer distances, but I can't seem to kick it up a notch in speed.
Post race
Warm down:

2 mile run (yes this is correct) out and back on the opposite side of the road as the race course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, freaking out a bit in the lake, and my inability to push myself harder on the run.

Event comments:

I can't comment on the post race activities, because after my cool down run, I left to go to my daughter's dance recital an hour away from the race that started at noon. This course is always challenging. It is short, hilly and mentally a humdinger. I believe I can achieve a 1:10 on this course. That is what I was gunning for. So that is why I am disappointed with my 1:13 even though I placed 2nd in my age group and 21st overall. The female winner, btw, is a professional triathlete from Austria who finished 9th overall at IMAZ this year. This is a deep-fielded race. I am just disappointed that I did not perform to my potential during it.

Last updated: 2008-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:02 | 820 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 20/148
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Rectangular loop from one edge of the lake back around to the other edge of the lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:17 | 11 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 9/148
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 11 mile rolling loop. First portion of course uphill, with a steep hill at mile 3. Rest of course undulates with more downhill than uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:33 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 42/148
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, downhill leaving transition, flat turning onto campus, STEEP uphill, flat out across the lake turn around and do it all in reverse.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 9:13 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2008-05-11 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1395421

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon

I think you did great. Way to work through the swim/breathing issues. I hate coming into the pack of swimmers from the wave ahead. Makes for a lot of arms and legs occupying the same space.

I think you did a good job pushing on the run.  Track work is where you will see the biggest benefit for short course speed (IMHO). Of course, we aren't getting that much track work right now (and I'm thankful for that fact!) Last summer I was hitting the track at least once per week. That's where I saw my biggest gains.

2008-05-11 9:32 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations on a great race and your hardware!!!

You'll definitely be able to get under 1:10 given the problems you had getting the wetsuit off and being a little slower on the bike.  It's hard to know exactly why you were slower.  Maybe there was too much wind, maybe the roads were in bad shape...who knows. 

2008-05-11 9:58 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to PR the swim.  Take away what you can from the rest of the day and grow onward, keep your body healthy, and remember the things that are important.  You are good, you are blessed with talent and work ethic.  It will all come together on the day it is meant to.
2008-05-11 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1395505

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Great job on  the race and the swim PR.
2008-05-12 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Way to push through the panic. I'm a bit surprised to see that, though, since you're such a strong swimmer! I'm a little confused about the bike too. Something just wasn't right out there...Maybe the lack of wind! :-) Congratulations on a great finish regardless of how you felt! Sometimes, as RSPDiver says, you feel like poo and you're really going fast...looks like that's true for you! Great 2nd AG finish!!!!

2008-05-12 11:36 AM

Regular
SC
Congrats on placing! Too bad you couldn't stick around for the awards, but I'll bet you're getting used to it by now. ;-) We have yours, BTW.

I didn't feel as strong on the bike as I expected, either. I wonder if, mentally, I was holding back to save some for the run. I knew it was a challenging course last year, but hadn't run the wall-hill until this year, so that may have held me. That, and sometimes if I have a lower gear available, I'll take it even though I could (and should) push a higher gear and go faster.

Well, no worries. You did well and this is the Cooper River Bridge Run of sprint triathlons around here: Very social, and fun to do. Keep charging for your "A" races!
2008-05-12 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice job Pam

What does your coach say? Time/pace always don't reflect effort especially on the bike.

Deep field, #9 at IMAZ was racing against you..girl you pick tough races.

I see 1:10 in your future for sure. Was this a train through or tapered race? What is your A race this early season?

You kicked butt in the swim even with a small issue, bike time rocks, and 7's is sweet on the run.

2008-05-12 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1397580

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
KathyG - 2008-05-12 5:23 PM

Nice job Pam

What does your coach say? Time/pace always don't reflect effort especially on the bike.

Deep field, #9 at IMAZ was racing against you..girl you pick tough races.

I see 1:10 in your future for sure. Was this a train through or tapered race? What is your A race this early season?

You kicked butt in the swim even with a small issue, bike time rocks, and 7's is sweet on the run.

I tapered for this race. I am supposed to be entering my peak with Mooseman coming at the end. My coach prioritized this race as an "A" race. The run was not real surprising to me. Pretty typical performance. I am surprised at how fast my swim was because of my freak out episode. The bike felt good. I don't race with a computer, so I have no idea what went wrong. I was spinning out on some of the downhill portions in the hardest gear I had. I should hear from my coach tonight to see what her opinion is. It wasn't a horrible split, just that I know I can do better and in fact, have done better. It is hard to fix something if you don't know what is broken! Thanks for all your kind comments. I did have fun. This is always a fun race.
2008-05-13 9:52 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great job keeping in the game mentally with the OWS freak out.  I need to remember that cause that's a downfall for me.  Congratulations on the hardware!
2008-05-13 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Congrats on the hardware, Pam.  I know it wasn't what you expected, but those are still great numbers.  And you ARE getting faster on the run!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed