Start 2 Finish, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 5s
Overall Rank = 575/1300
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 100/133
Pre-race routine:

After a day of enjoying some of Memphis' finest BBQ and attractions (Sun Studio, paddlewheel riverboat, etc.), on Friday, I ate clean and got to bed early on Saturday. Of course, going to bed early really doesn't help much when you have a 4-year-old wedged between you and your wife on a double bed and a 2-year-old snoring in the crib right next to the bed. But the truth is, I don't sleep much before race day anyway, and the solid night's sleep on Friday should have set me up well for a good performance on Sunday. Should have.

The morning of the race we got up at 4:30 am and hustled to be out the door by 5 to make the 45-minute drive to the venue, a nice park in Millington. Breakfast consisted of a Cliff Bar, a banana and OJ-- pretty much my regular routine (except for the additional Cliff Bar.) Those of you who have read my past race reports know I always carefully select my music for the drive to the venue, as it usually serves as the soundtrack inside my head for the race. Today it was The Killers' "Sawdust" CD, which provides a nice variety of grinding, uptempo tracks with lyrics that get stuck in your head. Much like the kids' gooey juice boxes will no doubt be stuck to our car seats by the time we get home. :)
Event warmup:

After arriving at the park, I immediately claimed my space in transition-- a primo spot just four spaces off the main aisle in my designated row. I then went for a short bike ride just to get some juice in the legs and warm up a bit for stretching. I also helped Terri set up the Kelty sun shade to give her and the kids a nice home base where they could relax while I raced.

Because I had a high race number (#1004), and it was a time trial start with athletes going off every three seconds, I knew it would be almost an hour after the opening gun went off that I would be starting. I filled the time with stretching and hydrating while helping Terri watch the kids. About 1/2 hour before my projected start, I downed a Gu. Soon it was time to line up.

I felt great-- rested, stretched, hydrated. Too bad the feeling wouldn't last. (That's called foreshadowing folks. It's usually a harbinger of bad things to come.)
Swim
  • 28m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I write this, I have little idea of my swim split because the results aren't available yet and I forgot to check my watch (mostly because I was too concerned with all the new things I would be trying in T1 for the first time.) I can tell you, I feel like I smacked it pretty good. In fact, if my navigation had been a little better (I was veering right all the way to the first turn), I'd guess I nailed it.

Especially after the first turn, when I really found my groove, I was passing people who had numbers much lower than me and opportunistically latching onto the feet of slightly faster swimmers. That was no easy feat (no pun intended), considering the murky, muddy waters made visibility almost non-existent.

Once we rounded the second turn buoy and were headed for home, I shifted it up a gear and made a nice final push. Of course, the downside to that was that my HR was near redline exiting the water. I'm beginning to wonder if that may have cost me later.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight and maybe ease back on the "kick" into shore.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

It seemed like deja vu all over again. Last year, one of my transition area neighbors who finished the swim before me through their crap all over my neatly set up area. And when I arrived at my spot this year, I saw the same thing had happened. That threw a big wrench in my plans to speed up my T1 in this event-- I had rubberbanded my shoes in place on the bike and was going to attempt a "flying start" for the first time. Instead I had to waste a precious :20 simply hunting for my bike helmet and glasses.

After locating them, I had to fumble away more time untangling the straps on my new aero helmet before I could put it on and then finally I was off and running with the bike. The "flying start" I was hoping for turned out to be more like a "f@$$%%-ing start" as I struggled to get my bare feet on top of my shoes for the push up the steep incline immediately out of transition. Eventually I got in and got going, but only after some precarious weaving up the hill.

Practice the flying start. Hire an armed guard to protect my transition area from the inconsiderate idiots around my transition spot.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.34 mile/hr
Comments:

During the swim, I noticed how the water had really turned choppy on the final leg into shore. That could only mean one thing-- wind. On an exposed course like Memphis, I knew then we would be in for a very different day than last year, when it was heat that presented the most formidable challenge. It didn't take long to find out how right I was.

After a brief opening stretch with the wind at our backs, we turned right into open farm country, where nasty crosswinds immediately slowed things down considerably. Where last year, this relatively flat course was easy pickings for a PR, this year the bike would be an ongoing battle with Mother Nature.

However, this year I had two new weapons at my disposal-- my new aero tri bike and my Giro Advantage 2 aero helmet. I could tell they were paying immediate dividends, too. When heading with the wind, I often struggled to keep up up with stronger riders around me. But heading into the wind, I was often able to pass them without additional effort.

Trying to learn from my past mistakes, I also made a concerted effort to keep from hammering and maintain my heartrate within reasonable limits. Still, I pushed into Z3 early and once again it seems I would eventually pay the price. The thing is, my legs felt strong and I didn't feel like I was overexerting. And I sure as heck wasn't flying past the many strong riders in this field. I guess that's just the deadly siren song of triathlon-- you don't know you've gone too hard until it's way too late.

Approaching T2, I easily got out of my shoes and prepared for the running dismount, which I pulled off without a hitch.

I checked my watch: 1:45:00. Not bad. Surely, beating last year's 2:45:00 finish would be relatively easy, right? Surely. Heck, I could run easy 9:30's and still beat it. Yep, it was in the bag.

Really, I don't know. I know if you look at my splits, it's easy to say I hammered too hard on the bike and simply burned out on the run. But I'm not convinced. I think my ankle injury and 5-month layoff from running definitely factored in. Although I did my best to re-build my running over the last 6 weeks, I just think that was too short a period to build up a reasonable base for the run. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

One thing I will try to focus on in the future is riding long, slow distance. That's fallen by the wayside a little bit recently due to time constraints, but it's gonna have to get resurrected now that I can ride outside again.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

This went smoothly.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 04m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, yes. This is where the "magic" happened. Magic as in "where did my ability to run go?... it's DISAPPEARED!! POOFT!!"

The time tells the tale, doesn't it?... walking the hills, the cramping hamstrings, the children mocking me as I pass, saying, "Mommy, is that limping man going to die?" OK, I made that last part up, but you get the picture.

This "run" was a return to my infamous half-run/half-walk "RAWK" from Spirit of Racine. Although I've never been as completely cashed as this for an Oly before... not even in my first race. It was embarrassing. There were points on this run when I knew I wasn't going to break an hour split that I just thought about DNF'ing just so there would be no record of my pathetic display. The thing is, I would have had to walk back to the finish area anyway, so there was really no point to waiting for the broom wagon.

This was the kind of run that makes me contemplate doing solely AquaBike events from here on out.

I would run next time. Because, you know, that would be faster than whatever you would call what I did.

Let's just sum it up. Was it the 85-degree heat that did me in? I dunno. Was it the wind on the bike? I dunno. At the age of 39, have I finally hit the inevitable downhill slide into suckiness? I dunno. I walk away from this event completely frustrated and confused.

Part of me thinks it's just the fact that, in coming back from this ankle injury, I just haven't had the chance yet to re-build my base to where it needs to be. Part of me thinks it's my bicycling that really needs more attention, as the bike may have taken so much out of me it set me up for a poor run. Part of me thinks I have to completely re-think my nutrition, as I was bloated and belching throughout my RAWK. And part of me thinks "BOWLING-- that's the sport for me!!"

I dunno. Last year, when I had a nearly as sucky a race here, it served as my inspiration to train harder and helped set the stage for a fairly decent season. But I've trained so hard already this off-season, with the exception of my running, that I just don't know where to go from here or whether I have the fire to put in even more time and effort for minimal returns.

I'm trying not to be too down about this race-- it's just one in a season of many. But to finish 16 minutes slower than my last Oly from last year after what I would honestly call a pretty aggressive off-season of training (at least on the bike), it can't help but cause to question my entire approach.
Post race
Warm down:

I collapsed and died. The funeral was Sunday. You can send memorials in my honor to the American Society for the Slow and Old (ASSO).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity.

Event comments:

As always, this is a very well-organized, very well-run event. I, on the other hand, did not run very well.

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:10 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 79/133
Overall: 0/1300
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: The course is a simple equilateral triangle within the roundish-shaped Casper Lake. The water is extremely dark and murky. This year, the water was also fairly choppy for the final leg into shore along the southern edge of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:17 | 24.85 miles | 20.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 92/133
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: After a steep incline out of transition and a few immediate hills, the course is a relatively flat route through the surrounding farm country. The openness of the area leaves the course exposed to wind and sun, which can be relentless. The final leg goes through the town of Millington and along the four-lane Navy Rd, which allows for some fast, easy cruising. At times the pavement in the farmland sections can be rough and gravelly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:43 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 114/133
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was a walk across quick sand while hordes of savage pygmies beat you senselessly with sticks. Because that's the only course description that could possibly explain my time on this run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Memphis in May

2008-05-19 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1412557

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Congrats on a good race! The wind was tough. I checked a weather almanac and it was blowing steady 10-15 mph right when we were riding (check it out: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNQA/2008/5/18/DailyHis... ). Tht probably affected your run some, but you HTFU'd it out.
2008-05-20 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Hey great job out there. That wind was tough and that run course is just bassakwards compared to the bike course..But you did finish...oh and I did here those kids saying that about me while I crossed!!LOL
2008-05-20 9:12 AM

great race. The wind was definitely a factor for everyone. You are always going to have a bad race every now and then. You sucked it up and finished, though. It soulnds like you might have learned a thing or two from it also to help in the next race. Keep up the hard training and the results will come.
2008-05-20 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Well it sounds like the Guru and the new helmet worked well, that's good to hear considering I got the same thing, you didn't get silver did you? We will look like twins if we are in the same race again. Good job on finishing on a tough day way to gut it out.

Ron
2008-05-20 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

hey, dont be too down on yourself mister!!  your swim and bike were dead on and that (like you said) was the meat of your training!!!!  your running will come around in time for SOR so dig your old up outta the ground and stop grieving ya old bastard!!!

seriously tho - way to represent the nation donkey!!!  eeeeeeeaaaaaawwwwww 

2008-05-20 9:36 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Damn you are funny- one thing going for ya

Seriously- quit whining and go out and run- 6 weeks is NOT a lot of running after being off 6 months.  Your swim was simply awesome.  And your bike split was super- especially considering the wind (I hate wind)

Glad youre back and still alive

2008-05-22 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
"At the age of 39, have I finally hit the inevitable downhill slide into suckiness?"
No that doesn't happen until you turn 42. Most excellent swim & bike and that is where all your work has been. The running will come back and then your season will be spectacular. Just enjoy it, because it all goes away when you turn 42...
2008-05-22 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Wow..great race Scoob!! Most 39 years olds are sitting on the couch at night drinkin beer and having a cigarette.  You rocked that whole race dood! Congrats...you make the donkai nation proud!
2008-05-22 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Great race, donkey! I don't care HOW bad you think you had issues on the run -- you went out and kicked it! Nicely done, nicely done!
2008-05-22 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
The wind was tough , the swim was tough, and the run was tough...for me! Great Race though seriously.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed