General Discussion Race Reports! » The Montauk Century - 145 Mile Tour Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Montauk Century - 145 Mile Tour - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Babylon, Long Island, New York
United States
Five Borough Bicycle Club
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the crack of really, really, stupid. 2:15 to be exact. Wasn't hungry, since I'd eaten a big dinner a few hours before, but I made myself eat a bowl of granola. Got dressed, took my bike outside and got in a cab. Penn Station is not the place you want to be at 3am, so I was happy to see the registration tables and lots of people around. I put my bike on the truck and went to get the train out to the start line.
The waiting area at Penn was a funny scene at 4am. 1000 or so suburban kids in their 20's on their way home after a night in the city. Lots of drunk boys and girls in their party dresses looking a little disheveled. And mixed into this group were about 500 cyclists, carrying their helmets, and many wearing their cleats. Guess which group had more spandex on? If you guessed "the group without the helmets", you'd be right. :) Finally, we all boarded the train and rode about 90 minutes out to the start line, picked up our bikes, filled up our bottles, and headed out.
Bike
  • 5h 39m
  • 102 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

First Leg: Babylon to Blue Point--25 miles
I started out in a group who turned out to be too slow, so I followed a woman in a Luna jersey and a guy in a TNT jersey, and rode with them. They were a little faster than me, so I'd occasionally drop behind them and have to catch up. We didn't talk much at first, but eventually we introduced ourselves. I rode with them most of the way to the first stop, where I stopped and they didn't. The rest stop wasn't fully set up yet, so I couldn't refill my Gatorade. Refilled my bottles with water, went to the bathroom, ate a couple of fig newtons, and got back on the bike.

2nd Leg--Blue Point to Westhampton-25 miles

Jumped on to a very speedy group of three guys and a girl. We kept a loose, informal paceline, roaring past people on the road. Occasionally, someone would join the group, but they'd almost always drop off after a couple of miles. I think we averaged easily 20mh for this stretch. When we got to the rest stop, the girl needed to have her bike fixed, and the others waited for her, but I didn't feel like hanging around, so I had a pb&j, went to the bathroom again, and left, but not before running into the Luna girl from leg one, who was surprised that I'd caught up to them.

Leg 3- Westhampton to Water Mill-30 miles

This was the toughest leg. It was very flat, but right by the water and wide open with lots of crosswinds. Roads were flooded in places from the heavy rains the night before, and we had to squeeze through narrow swaths of dry pavement. I saw a couple of guys on tri bikes and chased them, just to give myself something to do, since I couldn't find any groups to jump onto. As we approached a big bridge, I said to an older guy who I happened to be passing, "Hey--our first hill!" and he said, "Wait till you get to Montauk. The screwin' you got is nothing compared to the screwin' your gonna get." Umm....ok...thanks, weird old roadie-dude. Once over the bridge, a group of 5 or 6 people passed me, and I was too surprised to catch them. I rode along for a while without seeing anyone in front of or behind me, so I thought I might be lost, and pulled over to check my turn sheet. A guy passed me on his bike and said, "Second guessing yourself?" And I said, "Yeah, a little,", but he said he thought we were on the right road, so I followed him. And yes, he was lost, too. After a few more wrong turns, we found the turn we'd missed in Southhampton and made it to the third rest stop.

Fourth Leg: Water Mill to Montauk--20 Miles

Again, I couldn't really find any more groups to ride with, so I just sort of hung with these three guys for a while. Eventually, I caught up to two other guys who were a little faster. I was starting to hurt a little, butt, hands, left knee, neck, and lower back. This is also where the hills started. First was a long stretch of Montauk Highway which wasn't steep but seemed to go on forever. Once I got over that, I had to get over a series of short, steep, sometimes curvy hills, one right after the other. Finally, I got into the town of Montauk, and looming about 1/4 mile away was a HUGE mo-fo'in hill. I was girding myself to attack it with what little I had left, when I happened to look down and saw a painted indicator on the road indicating a turn. Whew. I rode about another 2-3 miles to the finish line. My back hurt so much I could barely get off my bike, but I was done. 100 miles in the books, and by far my longest ride to date.
What would you do differently?:

It might have been fun to ride the whole way with a group of people, but I sort of enjoyed it as a solitary endeavor.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a massage, which was a Godsend, since I was in a lot of pain. The masseuse was great, even if she did practically undress me in the middle of the lawn where everyone was hanging out. Had some food and about 5 gallons of water. Changed my clothes, rode to the train station and took the train home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't trying to go as fast as I could. I don't know that I could have gone a lot faster than I did without really suffering at the end. Maybe I could have spent more time in aero, which I didn't do much of until the end, since I was mostly riding in groups.

Event comments:

Very well organized event. I'd do it again. It's kind of a bummer that you spend almost as much time on the train (1.5 hours to Babylon, and 3 hours or so home from Montauk), but it's a great ride, great scenery. The rest stops are well stocked and well run. Good mix of people from very experienced riders to newbies.
Oh--and the drivers were INCREDIBLY polite. In many cases, they would cross double yellow lines into the opposite lane to give us plenty of room when they passed us, even if we were in the bike lane or on the shoulder. I can't think of a single incident when a driver was anything but courteous. That was cool.

Last updated: 2008-04-05 12:00 AM
Biking
05:39:00 | 102 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR was pretty good--average was 126, and topped out at 171.
Wind: Tailwind
Course: Babylon to Montauk. Mostly straight, mostly flat, but all the hills were at the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: The Montauk Century - 145 Mile Tour

2008-05-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1412648

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: The Montauk Century - 145 Mile Tour
Great story in RR form. I love the kids who had partied now on their walks of shame back home and the old roadie guy.
2008-05-20 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
MA

Hah- B & T's...laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamme! 

Congrats on making it through the 100+ miles, speedy!  Those hills at the end sound mean.

2008-05-22 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

of course you know the masseuse was hitting on you, right? or another rider put her up to it

nice job!  

2008-05-22 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds like a great time riding long with other cyclists!

2008-05-23 1:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Super job! Wow, that's a helluva distance. Beautifully written, too.

P.S. 2:15 a.m. isn't the crack of stupid, it's the crack of midnight still. That's, like, uber-stupid.

2008-05-24 7:51 PM

Pro
AZ
Look who popped his century cherry! Nicely done!!  So weird to read about riding the train for the race.  You goofy city folk. Haha!!!  Great job and super nice pace!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Montauk Century - 145 Mile Tour Rss Feed