United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 24s
Overall Rank = 1649/2021
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 67/77
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and had some Peanut Butter toast. Watched a little TV and rea the paper. Headed downtown to the race. The 20K strted at 7:30, but the 5K didn't start until 9:15.
Event warmup:

Downtown was a zoo. There were at least 4 different events going on for Saturday morning. Had to park quite a bit away and walk to the race site to pick-up my stuff. They were supposed to have staging areas for runner's bags, and they did, but they only had areas for people numbered through 5000, so 5000 to 7000 were basically out of luck (they had a spot for those higher than 7000). Soooooo - I took the stuff I was going to leave in my race bag back to my car and locked it up and then back to the race area. Did my ITBS stretches and talked to some people for a while.
Run
  • 38m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good during this run. It was a pretty full field, so for the first 2/3 of a mile it was pretty tight quarters. After that, it was a full course, but you could move around a lot easier and pick your path to get by slower runners. There were a couple of "teams" that wanted to run in large goups, but they didn't cause that much of a problem, and they were friendly when you excused yourself to go through or by them. Just after mile 2 there was a slight uphill that wasn't much to speak of, but for some reason, my heart rate monitor popped loose. I reached up and grabbed it and got it in my hand in a comfortable enough position to run with it without loosing too much time, but I noticed that I was having trouble getting my pace back, as the two girls that I was running with (we had met on the course and just started pacing each other), started to pull away from me a bit. Maybe I was tired and maybe I just lost my rhythm from juggling with my strap. Probably more that I was wearing down. Tried to kick a little at the end to catch the two girls, but they beat me by 9 or 10 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

I think I was a little low on hydration before the start, but I don't really think that affected me. I didn't notice it until after the race was over and I couldn't get enough to drink. They had no sports drink at all at this event. They had a ton of water and they had a lot of beer (which I did appreciate) but I really wanted a gatorade after the race. I guess all of the 20K folks snapped up everything they had and there were no vendors selling anything at this event (everything was free of charge to racers and spectators). My wife and her friend went on a wild goose chase for Gatorade in the downtown Des Moines area, to no avail.
Anyway, I think I would do my hydration prep like I do for tri's. Maybe that would have given me the juice I need to get over that 12:00 edge.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water, stretched my calves (right one was way tighter than the left, does that speak of an imbalance of strength issue)? Ate a couple of bananas and then had a couple of beers and talked to people I knew and a few of the people I met on the course. I don't do many races that are just runs, but I get the feeling that runners aren't as "sociable" as triathletes are. There is not a lot of talking to each other or encouragement as you pass on the course. People came up to me afterward and told me that I helped them keep going by encouraging them as I passed them. Usually the shoe is on the other foot. Wierd!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummmm - I'm not a really good runner. Really, it is still just the running muscles and fitness issue. My first race 5K this year was almost 16:00 miles and now I am running 12:00 (or pretty close). I don't feel right about complaining, at this point.

Event comments:

This is a good race. Maybe next year I do the 20K instead?

Last updated: 2008-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:21 | 03.1 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/77
Overall: 1649/2021
Performance: Good
My heart rate got a little higher than I wanted it to, but my goal was to PR this course and run 12:00 miles. Really, I did. There were 2021 starters that all packed into a 4 lane street. I started very near the back of the pack (about a block and half back). I set my Garmin for 3.1 miles and it was set to shut off when I hit the mark. It gives me a time of 37:16, which is right at 12:00 pace. It makes sense because the start was ridiculously slow (I walked for probably half a block because I couldn't run) and it took me at least a minute to get to the actual starting line. Still, I am satisfied with the time as it is still a PR for this distance and I think I will easily reach my goal of 12 minute miles over 5K by June 15th.
Course: Very flat and fast. 6 turns and a u-turn around a cul-de-sac. Weather couldn't have been better.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2 Lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: Dam to Dam

2008-06-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1437216

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Dam to Dam
Hi John.  Hmmm... Let's see, a 4:00/mile improvement.  That is quite impressive.  Just keep it up and keep it all in perspective.  You had a little bump in the road not too long ago and you are still improving.  Give yourself more credit.  You are an inspiration to many. 
2008-06-02 1:31 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on the PR and the huge improvement from the first 5k!!  Don't be too hard on yourself, there's a lot of positive there. 
2008-06-02 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Nice PR. Good improvement.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam Rss Feed