Canada
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 19-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Carolyn and I went down to Oliver on the Saturday morning, immediately heading to the transition area so I could go for a short bike + run + swim. Carolyn went for a 25 minute run as well!

We headed down to the beach and I ran into Jon and Chris (awesome to finally meet you guys!!!) and we tried to sort out some dinner plans that fell into shambles unfortunately!

The rest of the evening was low key, as Carolyn and I just headed for our campsite and went to bed at a reasonable time (10:30ish)
Event warmup:

Woke up at 5 a.m. in order to have enough time to slowly eat my breakfast ( I have MASSIVE problems eating on race morning) and down a bottle of accelerade.

Instead of nerves, was feeling super confident and hella READY to go!!!
Super stoked!
Got to the transition area, got a good parking spot, got body marked, said bye to Carolyn, and headed down to the swim start!

The Elites raced first and the age-groupers had to wait until they all finished one lap before we could start!
Swim
  • 26m 22s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good swim
The second lap was NUTSO since me and the two other leading swimmers ran into the Green caps (the heat after us, the blue caps) and it was SUPER difficult to navigate through them.

I didn't really kick the whole race, and just depended on my pull as to save ANY over-exertion so I would be super fresh for the bike. Worked really well I'd say, as no one was able to draft off me as well, which was bitchin!

Came out of the water 2nd (right on the heels of first). The other two guys who beat my time were elites (they had no crowd, that's my excuse :))
What would you do differently?:

I dont think I could have done any better! Went super well!
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

First Age grouper out of Transition, felt rawring to go for the bike!!!

Nadda! Went perfectly!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 93 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

So here's where it all went bad. Well, at least at km 14.
Started out feeling pretty good, and just let my legs spin themselves out a little. I let a few guys pass me before I finally bent down into Aero position at about km 4 and started hittin it hard.

I started noticing the bumpiness from the rear tire at about km 8, so I made a goal that I would stop at the first aid station at km 14. At first I thought it might just be my rear brake pads rubbing again, as they tend to do sometimes.

I stop about 500m short of the aid station when I see Carolyn and my friend Vincent. Vincent had a really good pump with him coincidentally and no one seemed to care that he helped me, since race officials were asking if they could do anything for me. I check the tire, the tube is flat, I fix the flat quickly and head out on my way, looking over the tire for punctures or bits of glass etc.

I get to the first aid station exactly and sure enough, I get another flat. I thought I mistakenly overinflated it, but it turns out there was a 2 c.m. long metal shard in the tire which had dug in so deep it was not visible from the top, but could easily see if from the bottom. It had ripped a section in my tube about half the length of the tube. I managed to stay positive since I knew there was a technical support truck, but ended up waiting for 2.5 hours for one to show up.

While I was waiting, every volunteer at the aid station did whatever they could to help, including check cars for pumps/tire irons/tubes etc. They were so amazing, and I hope I told them that enough! Finally, I had been waiting too long, even if I hopped on my bike and held 40 km/h I couldnt make the bike cut off.

I was disappointed, but I knew I did nothing wrong, and that when things did go wrong, I did everything in my power to fix them.

I watched the rest of the race with Carolyn and Vincent, congratulated Jon when I saw him (AWESOME JOB BY THE WAY JON) and unfortunately missed Chris' finish (AWESOME JOB TOO CHRIS!!!).

All in all, I did have a fun rest of the day. I know that I could have done well and it saddens me that I couldn't finish, but I just know the next Half-Iron I decide to do...

Y'ALL BETTER WATCH OUT!

Nothing, I dealt with it in the best way i could have imagined.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 21.1 kms
  •  min/km
Post race

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:22 | 2000 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
181 HR Average including transition (forgot to hit the button on my watch!) Pretty low for me I'd say, considering when I was still swimming I would hover around 195-200 for the harder pace sets (15x100 for example)
Suit: Nineteen
Course: 2 Loops of a 1000 meter course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 93 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 Loop course + 1 extra mini-loop to make it up to 93 km
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 21.1 kms |  min/km
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 2:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Oliver Half Iron

2008-06-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1440629

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Oliver Half Iron
Man, that's so crappy what happened! But you definitely ROCKED the swim! And you will definitely do well when you put it all together. I will admit, I am a bit afraid!!

Again, really good to finally meet you.
2008-06-03 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
I can't imagine having to sit and wait for "support" for that long. It would have killed me. Way awesome swim though man! I can't wait to see a full 1/2 Iron report from you for the next time! Tough luck but I'm impressed at your attitude over the situation. See you out there.
2008-06-03 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

That SUCKS!

Next time you will do it!

2008-06-04 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Sorry you couldn't finish. Sounds like you would have had a great race otherwise. You doing Osoyoos?
2008-06-04 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
Hard Luck my friend.
I was out on a short bike Saturday and my buddy had two flats, the cause.....cactus thorns from the side of the road. We both stayed off the shoulders of the road during the race.

Hope you are back next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oliver Half Iron Rss Feed