CGI Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 49s
Overall Rank = 15/440
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/34
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15. Coffee & bagel with jam for breakfast. Left Laura's parents around 5:35 and at race site just after 6. Sipped on ~12oz of HEED throughout the morning.
Event warmup:

After using the bathroom and setting up transition, I went out for a 10' ride. Started as a warm-up and built up to a steady effort. Return to transition, make final preps and then down to water for about 3-5' of swimming before being shoved off in the first wave. Had Hammer Gel about 15' prior to start.
Swim
  • 10m 40s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

10:40 is the swim time from my watch as soon as I exited the water. The official results combined Swim + T1 (13:35).

I started just off the bouy line in the second row with the plan of drafting the guys in front. It actually wasn't that crowded on the buoy line as most ppl started a bit off the line. On the gun, I found some feet and went pretty hard to the first buoy. Crowd started to thin out at the second buoy. Then we had the long back stretch, with the wind creating a nice push current. This was directly into the sun, so sight was tough. I focused on the feet in front of me for the most part and every 8-10 strokes looking up for a buoy check.

Overall it was a solid effort. I did almost all of my breathing on 2 whereas I typically breath on 3 in the pool for steadier type of swims and only go on 2 when sprinting a finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Stripped wetsuit down half way while running up the beach, removed rest of suit when I hit the grass. Suit removal was painful. Took a good 20-30s to get the bottom half off. Just couldn't get it off my heels. Then it was a long uphill run into T1.

AHR: 167
MAX: 174

Take off suit faster.
Bike
  • 51m 3s
  • 17.7 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I biked the first couple tenths with my feet on my shoes and I waited for the first downhill to get them in. In the process of inserting my right foot I pulled the strap out of its slot. I let the right go and then got my left in before returned to the right and threading the strap on the fly.

After that it was full speed ahead. I focused on keeping a steady effort and keeping HR at LT +/- 5 while never keeping it above LT for more than a 30s at a time or so while climbing. I had made of mental note of the three big/long climbs and wanted to be as fresh as possible for those segments.

I passed 4-6 riders early and two guys pass me around mile 3. I asked a volunteer at ~mile 5 how many were out in front. He said, "About 15". I was kinda surprised, but forged on. I spent the next 10mi riding with one other rider (chatted with him when we passed back and forth a couple times...he recognized me from NorthEast Tri last fall) and we didn't pass or get passed by any other. I focused on a hard but steady effort and by the time I got to over the last climb (mile 16) a volunteer told me I was 8 or 9th. This was more what I expected. The two of us and caught a third rider by this point and the three of us finished the bike within a seconds of each other.

Nutrition:
~16oz HEED (170cal)

Maybe pace/go slower.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I blindly followed the guy I was pacing with down the wrong row. Luckily the racks were high enough that my bike would fit under without tilting. I ducked under his row and then found my stuff. I threw on my sneakers and knee strap, removed helmet and was off with number in hand.

AHR: 151
MAX: 161

Focus and run down the correct row.
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Blah blah blah. I came out of transition with the two aforementioned racers. The one guy took off and that left two of us (the guy I biked with). I immediately started to cramp up on my right side. Side stitch and/or diaphragm. My legs felt good but I just couldn't breath and keep any effort. I debated whether I should walk and let this cramp pass or continue on and hope it dissipated. I kept on running as best as possible. In hindsight, I prob made the wrong choice.

I started to fall back quickly, and as we passed the mile 1 marker, he was out of site as we passed through a curvy and hilly section in the woods. Based on the profile I thought mile 1 should have been about 6:20, whereas I ran 7:05. I was reduced to a slow jog/brisk walk climbing the hill in mile 2. Shortly thereafter I got passed by a 15yr old. About 1/2 way through the 3rd mile I started to feel a bit better and I picked up the pace but still not able to push at 100%. I pretty much cruised in seeing that the next guy on the course was a good 30s back. Had a small pickup for the finishing chute and that was it.

Pace bike slower? Walk off the cramp? Not sure. Definitely should have pushed the last couple tenths harder as I gave up 1 or 2 OA spots to others in another wave.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk-around, stretch a bit. Compared race notes and splits with JohnnyKay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the past, my running issues stemmed around muscular endurance...I could go out at my desired race pace but would fade late when the legs got fatigued. Today was different. I could never get started on the run. I don't think bike pacing was the issue, but who knows for sure.

At this point I think one or more of the following played a part in my sub-par run;
(1) Dehydration - Had some GI issues on Sat and combined that with AM coffee, the ~28-30oz of HEED I had prior to the race or on the bike, may not have been enough.
(2) Lack of hard bricks in training
(3) Just bad luck and not my day to run

Overall I was happy with the race. I was able to get some good feedback on my abilities and hopefully I can apply it toward Philadelphia.

Event comments:

Well organized, on time and good post-race buffett. I hope they had enough for those racing the half as I heard that they were "running low" before a single 1/2 participant was even on the run.

Great venue with plenty of bathrooms.

Last updated: 2008-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:40 | 750 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 18/440
Performance: Good
AHR: 158 MAX: 162
Suit: ProMotion full suit
Course: A counter-clockwise incomplete rectange. If I had to guess the course went something like; - 200M into current - 50M cross current - 350M with current - 50M cross current
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:03 | 17.7 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/34
Overall: 9/440
Performance: Good
AHR: 161 MAX: 175
Wind: Little
Course: A big look with lots of rollers and at least three solid climbs. Total climbing ~1650ft.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:16 | 03.4 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/34
Overall: 87/440
Performance: Below average
1 7:05 162,164; 2 8:11 160,168; 3.4 11:00 (7:52/mi) 162,172;
Course: All on dirt/grass. First mile was net downhill, with the second mile having a large climb. The last 1.4 was a little up and down but nothing drastic either way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-03 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon

2008-06-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1443183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon
i know you are disappointed with the run, but still a heck of a race. very impressive swim and bike and more hardware. save me some food in philly.

At this point I think one or more of the following played a part in my sub-par run;
(1) Dehydration - Had some GI issues on Sat and combined that with AM coffee, the ~28-30oz of HEED I had prior to the race or on the bike, may not have been enough.

i was thinking the exact opposite actually. you may have been dehydrated, but that is a sat. problem, not a sunday problem. if i drank 16oz on the bike during a sprint, i'd cramp up on the run too. you shouldn't need anything at that point but a little water to keep your mouth from drying out.
2008-06-04 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Very very nice. Solid splits across all three sports on a hard course. I agree with Weds, in a sprint you probably dont need that much fluid.

Congrats a fantastic race!
2008-06-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1443930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
that's a good point. Thanks! It's hard to get all these details down when I race a given distance only a couple times a years as oppose to only doing short and/or long stuff.
2008-06-04 7:59 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

don't be so hard on yourself, you had a great race!

2008-06-05 8:22 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Dude, that was a great race! 

I may have still been carrying some Harriman fatigue, but even if I had fresh legs it still would have been tough for me to keep up with you on the bike on that course.  That was a very solid ride you put up.  Once you get that run down, I won't have even a chance anymore. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon Rss Feed