5430 Sports Corp.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 34s
Overall Rank = 236/1055
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 46/106
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early and had a bagel with peanut butter. Got my stuff together and headed up to Boulder. Very uneventful drive.
Event warmup:

Got body marked and set up my transition area. Hung out and talked with Mark, Julia, Melanie, Ocky, Shannon, and met several other BTrs that I didn't know. Very relaxed and no structured warm-up. Swam a little just to check out the water.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a lot of problems at the start. Got bumped around pretty good and almost headed for the kayaks. I couldn't catch my breath and started to panic pretty bad. Sat up, found some open water and finally found my stroke. I really think I lost about 1-2 minutes in the panic mode. Once I found my rythm and got out of the crowd, I swam very well. Felt strong and finished still 3 minutes faster than I did 3 years ago. Other than the start, I am happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need more experience in wave starts. I actually don't think I was bumped or hit as much as I thought. But even just a little bumping set off a panic attack. I feel very strong swimming with space, and there is no need to panic. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I got out of transition very quickly after a long run up from the beach. I took almost 1 minute off my time from 2 years ago.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 48m 2s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Very crowded exit to the bike. This slowed me down a little. Also, as you leave, you immediately head uphill out of the res. This makes finding your form on the bike difficult. It took a while to find my legs. I was a little weak after the swim. Once I found my legs, I kicked it up and started passing people going up the highway.

Nothing, maybe push a little harder. I took another minute off my race from 2 years ago.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

This again was a good transition. My age group was racked on the other side of the world from the exit and that added about 10-15 seconds to my time. I did forget to tighten my lace locks, but got that done right outside transition.

Tighten lace locks.
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Anytime I can be sub 8 on the run is a good run. I started out and felt pretty dead. I just relaxed and found a pace I thought I could hold. This felt really slow. Suprisingly, I hit the first mile sign in 8 minutes (maybe a little less). Once I hit that point, I knew I could have a good time, so I picked it up a little. At this point I was running the flat section of the course and knew I could break 25 min if I kept pushing. Hit the turn around and felt great. Passed quite a few people and just continued to run smoothly within myself. Sprinted and passed 2 people right at the finish.

Not much. This is 2 weeks at sub 8 mile 5k. I've only done that maybe 2 times in just straight 5k races, so I am very happy with where my running is. Unfortunately there are many people who just run a lot faster. But for me this is good.
Post race
Warm down:

Legs were cramping, so I had some water and walked around, stretching quite a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim hurt me. The panic attack really sapped my energy. Even though I felt the rest of the swim was good and I had plenty of energy to continue to swim.

Event comments:

Overall, I treated this like a long training day. I did race, but didn't push myself to the limit. I wanted to enjoy my race and other than the swim, my mission was successful. It was great to see all the BTr's and was happy we could do the balloon send-off and card for Stacie.

I will definitely do this race again sometime, and I will conquer the complexities of the group wave start swim. :)

This was a great father's day event for me. My wife and daughter and In-Laws got to come see me race and all had a good time.

Last updated: 2008-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/106
Overall: 437/1055
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Full wetsuit
Course: This was a clockwise rectangular course. Started into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:02 | 17 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Overall: 194/1055
Wind: Little
Course: This is a fun course. It is a single loop course. The first 7 miles are slightly uphill and then it is a flat/downhill course to the finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:28 | 03.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 327/1055
Course: out an back course around the res. Decent uphill coming out of tranistion for about a 1/4 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1468347

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
I think wave starts are brutal and I always hit the panic button.  Looks like you overcame it quickly and raced well.  Congratulations!  Glad you had a fun day.  It was great to meet you.
2008-06-17 1:36 PM

User image

Westminster, CO

great day racing and very good results!  too bad about having such a rough swim start. 

glad it was a great Fathers Day for you! 

2008-06-18 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great job and happy Father's Day! I hit golf balls.
2008-06-18 5:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That is a great race.  So we have all had panic attacks on the swim!  Me included!  Great run to make up for it!
2008-06-20 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Great job, and as always - good to see you   Next time you'll have to beat my hubby though

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed