United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 15s
Overall Rank = 89/754
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/122
Pre-race routine:

No bagel for a sprint- oatmeal and cup o joe. livin on the edge ;)
Event warmup:

Met some cool people in T1 - drank a Red Bull.
5 minute swim in the warm water... made it warmer
Swim
  • 16m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Actual time in the water,from watch, 14:35, 1:40/100 pace. There's a long run to T1. So I'm o.k. with my actual swim time.

Wide beach to a narrow turn around so there was some good jostling both at the start and at the first buoy. I rather enjoyed it. It was good LP practice.I had a good, steady bilateral pace from the get go. Felt like I was working a bit too hard and not kicking enough. Sighting was spot on. decent swim, gotta kick more.
What would you do differently?:

Kick more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Long run from the water so I acutally had 3:38 for T1. Hadn't practiced the shoes on the bike but I did it anyway. Worked out pretty well. Some minor adjustments and I was up to speed quickly.

nada
Bike
  • 44m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

After much contemplation I decided to go w/ the race wheels and no spare. Keeping it light. If I flatted my day was over. No rear wheel sensor (again) on the disc so I went strictly by cadence and HR (which was through the roof!)

The course was shortened and turns added due to constructiion. I wanted to go hard, but I wasn't familiar w/ the course & there was a fair amount of car traffic. It was also a bit crowded and there were some lunatics out there; drafting , not moving over. So, I went hard when I could but backed off and played it safe frequently. I wasn't going to do anything stupid today. I saw a guy get taken away in an ambulance and again reflected on the big picture and backed off a bit. This was not the time or place to go all out.

A relatively flat course, I had to deal w/ some knuckleheads but 15 miles just goes fast; only drank 3/4 of a bottle of GA.

Came off feeling good. Glad I put the race wheels on!

nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Again, hadn't practiced the fyling dismount and the finish came up quickly. I got one foot out and unclipped the other. I guess it was half good! Rack was close, so I didn't have far to run in just one shoe!

Unclip both feet!
Run
  • 36m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was laboring a bit, the combo of going hard and fatigue from training. My plan was to just get comfortable and back off if my hammi acted up at all. My HR was high and the course wasn't well marked but I thot I passed the 3 mile mark at 24 minutes. Then I stopped looking. I did pick up the pace near the end but was pleasantly surprised by my finish time.

I did pass quite a few people but man, when people passed me they were cruising. Ordinarily I'd get into it with some, not today. Can't say my hammi was an issue I just didn't have the legs or desire to race the fasties. A couple of minutes/places in my AG wasn't going to matter today.

However, there was a huge crowd at the end and I did see a guy in my AG just ahead and I passed him w/ a few feet to go. Not sure I feel so good about that. Oh well, it happened. Seeing the finsih line got the best of me. Turns out we ended w/ the exact same time so I guess it was closer than I recall.

maybe not pass the guy at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung w/ some of the North Jersy people that I've met in training and met and talked w/ Mike LLarandi. Also saw Jose - jmf-tt a former BT'er.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not wanting to risk anything for LP and with most of my training at an easier pace I'm just not used to red lining it for an hour and a half. After a while looking at my HR monitor became meaningless.

Event comments:

In it's 26th year, they do a great job for a local, in town race. The locals realyy come out in force to supprt it. I did this bc it was deferred by my injury last year. And I'm gald I did. Altho sprints aren't really my thing I see myself coming back and "racing" it. It just has a good vibe to it.

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:23 | 880 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/122
Overall: 144/754
Performance: Good
Suit: IM Stealth - Sleeveless
Course: wide beach - two left turns and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:31 | 15 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Overall: 98/754
Wind: None
Course: lots of turns and roads under construction
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:30 | 05 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 132/754
Course: Again few too many turns but no biggie. They added a hill but nothing I'm not used to.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon

2008-06-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1468415

User image

Subject: RE: Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon

Great race and way to exercise discipline and not get carried away.  Considering seemed like a tempo training race for LP, you still ranked really well. 

I share your same guilt -- I drafted off a guy in front of me yesterday for the entire run, and then with fifty yards left I dusted him and ended up beating him by like 2 seconds.  In retrospect, was it worth it?  When I race my 70.3 in July -- yes.  At a local Sprint race -- no.  The dude was actually busting my chops afterwards, too.  Live and Learn. 

Perfect Race.

2008-06-16 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Wow, nice bike pace! Looks like putting on the race wheels was a good call .
Nice to see a future IM having a little fun!
2008-06-16 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Great job again! I also think it's smart to do some short races like this to break up the IM training monotony.
2008-06-16 5:54 PM

User image

Master
CT

Nice work Mark!

My swim is kickless too…

Glad you had some fun! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wyckoff/Franklin Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed