Canada
MULTI-SPORT PROMOTIONS
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 6s
Overall Rank = 94/220
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the crack of sparrow farts:) I needed to get all my stuff together and pack up a bag for Matthew before he woke up. I wanted to make the day as easy as possible for Darren. Had half a bagel with almond butter and some green tea, and then half a power bar on the way to the race.

As we were standing in line to get body marked, I chatted with a really nice gal ahead of me in line. Darren was standing there with Matthew and she asked me how in the world I could get ready for a half iron having an 8 week old baby? Well I had to confess that it is easier when you don't in fact give birth to the child :) And turns out that I was talking with bcmish! Small world.
Event warmup:

Warmup?? hahahahahaha
Swim
  • 38m 36s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

A little slower than last year but a hell of a lot better than I expected. My swim was a disaster at the start. My plan of getting into the water behind everyone backfired. I ended up in the washing machine anyway, and got knocked about hard. It freaked me out so much that I came so close to giving up. But then I reminded myself that I needed to HTFU 'cause this is going to happen in Ironman. It took me the better part of the swim to calm down and find my groove. One, two, three, breathe. One, two, three, breathe. Sight. At least the water was warm :)
What would you do differently?:

More OWS. Guess it's not a good idea to get into your suit the day before the race for the first time of the season. First dumbass mistake of the year.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 20m 8s
  • 86.5 kms
  • 25.93 km/hr
Comments:

I love this course. It was changed slightly from last year but I liked the change. It's still fircken hilly though, but I didn't wimp out on them like last year. I even passed a few people going up the hills on my little tank! It was fun because for most of the race there was this little group of us playing cat and mouse. And surprisingly I was able to pass them all but one dude.

But god, I had to pee so bad towards the end of the bike. And yes, I really did try to pee on the bike but it's harder than it sounds. And I was teased...oh it was torture. I really wanted to have a good bike time, so I struggled with stopping. But by the time I resolved that I just had to get off the bike to pee...I saw a porta pottie ahead...with a line up. F*&K. Ok, I thought that I would find a spot off the road. No such luck as there were fences everywhere. Dammit. Ok, I know that there is a jon in transition. Racked my bike, got my stuff and ran over to the jon. OCCUPIED!!! Oh my god, I thought that I was going to pass out!

Stand in line at the porta pottie :)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 57m 33s
  • 20 kms
  • 05m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Finally out of transition and thankfully the run was in the forest and I found a place to pee!

I struggled on the first lap. It took a long time to get my breathing calmed down and get into a rhythm. My goal was to only walk through the water stops and run the rest. Goal achieved!!! As I was coming around to start my second lap I chucked my fuel belt because it was so uncomfortable. But the best part was seeing Darren and Matthew. Darren held Matthew out and I stopped to give him a big kiss. And he smiled! It melted my heart. That was the best energy. Better than any power gel. And I had an amazing second lap!! I felt great until the last 4km, and then it was mind over matter to get it done.

More brick runs.
Post race
Warm down:

hahahahhaha. Sitting on my butt :)

Event comments:

I was really happy with the outcome of the day. I wasn't really into doing it, so I didn't even start my watch. And I was shocked with my time. Overall a great day!

It was great to have met bcmish, and I think that I saw Shawn out there volunteering on the bike course. And thanks to Havefun for coming out and cheering and hanging out with Darren and Matthew for the day.

Last updated: 2008-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:36 | 2000 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/220
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:20:08 | 86.5 kms | 25.93 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:57:33 | 20 kms | 05m 53s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-24 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: New Balance 1/2 Ironman

2008-06-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1485811

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: New Balance 1/2 Ironman

Great race and most importantly you had fun.  Your experience has been the same as everyone else I have talked to.  They all had a great time.  Except for one guy of our little tri club got clipped on his bike and wiped out 20 min in.  Dislocated shoulder and some stitches.

Wish I had got to meet you and your newest addition.  Maybe next year if I ever get healed and can start training again.

2008-06-24 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Congrats! Good stuff since you're training hasn't been up to par lately!
2008-06-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1485891

User image

Veteran
ShawnC13 - 2008-06-24 7:07 AM

Except for one guy of our little tri club got clipped on his bike and wiped out 20 min in. Dislocated shoulder and some stitches.

Oh god, I saw him probably just after he went down.  My heart just dropped and I felt bad for going by.  But there was a fellow with him trying to keep him still and a lady on the other side of the road.  I think she was on the phone.  And when we went through the next intersection the gal ahead of me told the police officer that there was a rider down.  I hope that your buddy is doing ok.  Was he clipped by another rider or a car?  I thought perhaps that he might have caught a pothole at the bottom of that steep downhill. 

2008-06-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1486258

User image

Veteran

VanCityJ - 2008-06-24 8:49 AM Congrats! Good stuff since you're training hasn't been up to par lately!

Thanks, Jonathan! Ya, trying to train for IMC with a newborn has its challenges. But the rewards are so totally worth it. I guess I should tone down the whining about my training

2008-06-24 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
GREAT JOB...Seeing your family is the best boost ever!

2008-06-24 4:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
You did awesome...great run at the end! Under 2hrs for your 1/2!
2008-06-26 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
HTFU! I love it! Way to push through it. And kissing babies is the same / better than gels!?! What kind of carbs / protein / sugars do you get from and infant? Do you have to shake them well prior to kissing them? Do you have to kiss one each hour or what? Amazing race Heather, glad you had so much fun! HTFU indeed!!! Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!
2008-06-26 4:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed