Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 23m 33s
Overall Rank = 254/587
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/143
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Oatmeal and small bagel w/PB for breakfast. Got to park early, which was good b/c parking was slow. Indiviual rack spots were marked, so no need fret over that.
Event warmup:

10 min run just before they closed transiation. Then into the wetsuit and a short, 100m or so, warmup swim.
Swim
  • 31m 9s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

So everyone learned the trick to the BSLT swim -- The very right edge of the starting cove is very shallow, turning the first 100m into a run, more than a swim. It was kinda fun, actually. Had a pretty good swim. Was sighting more than I wanted. I didn't draft consistently, but I did try to jump from person to person as they'd pass me. The low visibility made it a little difficult to stay on the feet. There were enough people in the water that there was usually someone nearby. My sighting was OK; didn't get too off course, and I was pretty good at the bouys.

Got my goggles slapped once, and kicked in the face another time. Luckily, goggles stayed on both times.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I'm happy with the swim time, though it makes me wonder if the course wasn't a smidge short.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

My suit got stuck on one arm, and my wetsuit stripper wasn't very aggressive to get it off the legs. Finally got her to yank hard enough to get it off. Rest of T1 went OK, including bike mount.

22nd in AG.

Don't grab goggle until wetsuit off; that may be why it was stuck on my arm. Also, need to be conscious of trying to identify a larger/aggressive wetsuit stripper as I come out of the water.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Oy -- I crashed again!! :( Details in a minute.

My plan today was to practice for Louisville. That meant taking it pretty easy for the first 20-30 miles at least. Lots of people passed me, which was annoying, but I did this pretty well and just kept it steady. I'm happy with how I handled the hills -- lowest gear and just spun up. Never stood, and usually passed a couple people in the process.

Treacherous conditions today. Saw a couple wipeouts at the turnarounds, even though everyone was going as ridiculously slow. I was happy to see that nearly everyone was riding their brakes down the switchbacks and taking all the corners and turns conservatively. The course was fairly crowded, and given the winds, I was careful of riders getting blown around during any passing or while reaching for nutrition, etc.

My fateful moment came around at a left-hand turn around mile 50. I had slowed, come out of aero, and chosen a conservative line through the corner. But still, my back wheel went out from under me and I found myself on the asphalt. Arrgh!

I was a little slow getting up. I checked to make sure nothing was injured seriously (it was the same side I'd fallen onto a could months ago and also last summer). Hip, elbow batterd, minor scrapes on sides. I'll live. Eventually started going again, then biked in anger for a bit. Finished stong

Ignoring the bike crash for a second, I would probably have called this a below average segment. I usually don't drop too many places on the bike, but I did today. However, given the conditions and that I was specifically targeting IM pacing and easy effort for much of it, I would classify it as average. I came off the bike thinking, "Ok, I could do that again," which is exactly the way it should be at this point.

Err... stop crashing? :|

I don't know how to determine what I'm doing that causes this. Tire pressure? Rear disk? Something about my bike fit, or my technique on left-had turns?

It was actually a good job at following the plan, even if not the stongest pure 'bike' effort. But that's the trick right -- saving it for the run?

Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

My dismount was sub-par. I had discovered during my ride on Saturday to get out of my shoes at the top of the hill before transition, then I took that final downhill pretty slowly. Nonetheless, I just wasn't feeling confidence for a running dismount. I did a quick stop, still straddling the top tube, then dismounted.

After that it was pretty good. Had put on socks in T2, so just slipped into shoes and grabbed my hat. I'd put two gels in there that I wished I hadn't also grabbed, since I had two extra in my pockets from the bike already. Instead I just shoved them into pockets and ended up running with them.

3rd in AG. Looks like good transitions kept me couple spots higher in the AG.

Not much. The dismount was an anomaly.
Run
  • 1h 46m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a solid run for me. I just picked a fairly easy pace and kept it steady throughout. Didn't have to walk any of it, and managed to overtake quite a few people.

Plan was: easy through the park on the way out; then steady through the hills to the energy lab. Option to pick up a little at the start of the energy lab, or at the turnaround, if it felt good. Steady and under control through the hills again; option to push the final 5k once back in the park.

After the turnaround, the wind was in our face, so I did some drafting and jumped to different runners when appropriate. I held my own pretty well on the uphills, but tended to pick up more speed and people on the downhills. I know I made up a couple spots in my AG during the run.

We were lucky with the overcast skies; heat really wasn't a problem. I took water at every aid station, and mixed gatorade with it every other station. Also took a salt tab at the turnaround. No nutrition problems.

Not sure if it was the hills or because I was compensating for the bruised left hip from the fall and had different form, but my right hip flexor that I injured earlier this year became a problem again during the run. After the final downhill into the park, it was expecially noticable. Any upward grade to the road became painful, so I was trading places with other races, depending on whether we were heading up the minor grades or down them.

Minor annoyance: that tiny rock in my shoe. Just big enough that I'd feel it under my toes sometimes, but small enough that it wasn't all the time, and I couldn't justifly stopping to pull it out.

Gerald passed me on the first major downhill. He was already pushing hard and booking it, and when I saw him again near the turnaround I wasn't certain he's be able to hold that effort. Not sure how he did it. Also saw Rodney, Sydney, and Brittney out there. It's great sharing encouragement, if all you've got energy for is a finger wave. :)

In the next HIM, I'll be trying to push a little harder. Never found myself really out of breath on this run. Legs were a little tired near the end; if I'd started a second loop, there would almost certainly have been some walking. But for IMKY, I'll be playing it a little more conservatively and not picking up the effort.

Bring dry socks for T2. Don't know if would have really helped, but would have been nice and might have helped avoid the blister.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bit of trouble catching my breath right after the finish, so I grabbed the side of the med tent and just held myself there for a minute or two. It passed. Did stop in the med tent for ice packs for the hip I fell on and the hip flexor I pulled again. Checked the blister on my foot but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Later, did get some hydrogen peroxide and bandages for various scrapes.

No stretch or jump in the lake; just the medical attention. Grabbed some bagel and watermelon and put my name on the list for a message before walking around to find folks I knew. (Though we later hit Freebirds before going to the awards banquet.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My plan. Goal was to practice for IMKY, so there were parts of the race I was intentionally holding a steadier, slower pace that I might have for an all-out HIM. As an IMKY training race, it worked out great.

The weather. Was very conservative on the turnarounds, bike corners and descents.

Gravity. Too bad I fell anyway.

Event comments:

Everyone preps for the heat at BSLT (which can be brutal). Few anticipate cool weather and rain; it made for a bit of a treacherous course, but I still liked it. A challenging day mentally, and I like the terrain we don't get in the Dallas races. Even though we didn't face the heat, and I wasn't pushing overly hard, I still felt like I really accomplished something just b/c of the terrain. I like the beach start for the swim, although they need to cut out the ability to run so far into the water.

Well organized race, and the volunteers were plentiful and great! Perhaps the best med tent I've been in; they were clearly ready for the normal, hot conditions.

Post-race really wasn't very good. Food was bagels, watermelon, and oranges, although there was beer. Not a very spectator-friendly course; and, other than the beach, not much for spectators to do during the race. Also, nowhere to hide out had the heat been in full-swing, so I'd recommend not bringing the family to this one. (Unless you're planning to camp out in the park, which puts you right along the race course.

The awards banquest buffet wasn't bad, and was BBQ instead of the all-too-common pasta. Something exciting about watching Kona slots get handed out. Not much swag; really just a cotton t-shirt. Finishers got another cotton t-shirt and a finishers medal.

Last updated: 2008-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:09 | 1931 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 45/143
Overall: 255/587
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full-sleeve
Course: Single loop, semi-rectangular. Lake was calm, but there was almost no visibility.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:02:19 | 56 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/143
Overall: 323/587
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Generally flat, but there are six good hills, including two right out of transition. You go up and down all of them, and a couple have a number of switchbacks. We got lucky with the heat (or lack thereof, rather), but this year Mother Nature brought drizzly rain and some winds instead, to keep it challenging. Road surfaces were pretty good, and almost no traffic on the course. Not a ton of course markings, but the course was crowded enough that it wasn't a problem to know where to go. Plus plenty of volunteers and good aid stations. (Crisp with the handups and good about getting bottles/trash off the course.)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:46:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/143
Overall: 254/587
Course: Out-and back course. First 3 miles gentle rolling in the park (somewhat shaded), then the first major hill to get out of the park. Just before mile 4 you have the first major long downhill followed by a long uphill. Then straight out-and-back of the Energy Lab - 1.5+ miles (each direction), straight, slight grade and, yes, there's a power plant at the end. Turn around and back through it all again. Well-manned aid stations every mile, plus one at the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2008-06-30 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1500763

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
So were you practicing crashing for IMKY??  Dude.. I'm about to rename you crash.. Glad to hear that you are ok and able to keep training. nice job out there
2008-06-30 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job David. Looks like you are right on track to do well at IMKY.......other than the wipeout of course.
2008-07-01 11:23 AM

Master
Houston
Nice job all around.  Wish I had known your bib# to keep track of you as well as the others I managed to find.  Next time for sure.  Sorry to hear about the crash and glad it wasn't so bad.  Great effort out there on what sounds like a very tough course.
2008-07-01 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I didn't know you crashed!! Glad it was truly a mild one! Nicely done out there and it looks like you are ready for IMKY! See you at Disco!
2008-07-01 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome race David!  You are super fast!!!

2008-07-01 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race - sub 5:30 - even in bad weather and crashing.  You're going to do well at IMKY.

TJ

2008-07-01 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
nice race. looks like the wet roads got you and if you are referring to the left i think you are i know others who fishtailed thru that section as well. great job with your run. hope this race was a good prep for louisville. best of luck at your IM race in august!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed