General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 10m 30s
Overall Rank = 115/180
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5am, took a quick shower and had a bagel and cream cheese in the hotel room while getting things ready to check out. Got to the venue around 6:15 -- easy to find parking -- and set up in transition (which was in a parking garage -- awesome!). After a trip back to the truck to get things I forgot (can't race without my watch!), got everything laid out, body marked and was ready to go.
Event warmup:

Struggled into the wetsuit and then swam about 200m or so, with some intervals thrown in to get me going a little. A preview of the swim exit - I had trouble getting myself back up on the dock after swimming -- apparently my upper body strength isn't what it needs to be!

Had a banana and some gatorade while standing around with Kelly, waiting for them to get started. The race was running a little bit late, and the Oly distance wasn't going off until after all the HIM participants.
Swim
  • 39m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really thought this was a good swim for me... no panic, stayed strong, bilaterally breathed about 75% of the time (which speeds me up, usually). Was with a good chunk of my wave for about a third of the race, and then things thinned out a little. I tried drafting, but wasn't too successful there -- not too many feet to choose from.

Worked hard the first 100m or so to get some clean water, then settled into a good pace. Picked it up after turning the last buoy back towards the dock.

I continued thinking it was a good swim until I looked at my watch getting out of the water -- about 4 minutes slower than I had anticipated. Really not sure what happened out there. Kelly and I thought the course might be long, but I really could just be that slow.

Tough getting out the water for me... no footholds, and the volunteers just kind of stared at me while I hauled my body out of the water and then basically threw myself, face down, onto the dock and tried to squirm the rest of my body onto land. I'm sure I was the picture of grace.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster? Obviously. In the end, any swim that doesn't include panic is a good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Long 300m run back to transition, so this time isn't as bad as it looks. Wetsuit got stuck on the chip, but other than that, this went smoothly.

Move the transition area closer to the swim. :)
Bike
  • 1h 25m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

This was where my race emphasis was -- go out, hammer the bike and see what happens. I wasn't wearing my HRM, but I'm positive that I was in z3/z4 for the bulk of this ride... and yet, my pace still wasn't all that good -- almost dead last in my age group. I obviously need more work climbing hills (hard to gain time in a race when you're going 6mph). Perhaps a little more mental focus too -- I get easily distracted by fatigue and I slow down instead of pushing through it.

Ride harder, faster, better. More hill training would help, I'm sure.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Aside from one of my shoes flying off my pedal after I had hopped off my bike, this went smoothly (and a volunteer retrieved my shoe for me even before I had a chance to go after it, so that didn't cost me but a few seconds).

T2 was lumped into the run, but this is about what I had on my watch, so I'll go with it.

Not a whole lot. This was an easy transition.
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.55 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

While I didn't think this had gone all that well, looking back, I think mile markers were a little off so it skewed my split times. Had scouted the route enough to know that the first 5 miles were flat and then there was a big uphill into the city. But - didn't scout enough because it wasn't just *one* hill... it was 1.55 miles of (to borrow a phrase!) soul-destroying hills. :) I kept pushing along the flats knowing what was in store for me -- I thought to myself, run hard now and you can walk the hill to rest...

Of course, even walking the hill wasn't much rest -- I think my HR may have gone UP instead of down, even. You know that good things aren't in store for you when, spray-painted on the ground is "Welcome to the Gates of Hell!" And then after that, I thought it would be relatively flat, but it SO wasn't. And while the hills weren't too bad after the first ridiculously stupid steep climb, my legs were already toast. I alternately ran and walked the rest of the hills and just tried to make up some time on the downhills. The steep decline from the city back to the river was, uh, interesting... I kept wondering when my quads would just decide to give out on me and send me tumbling....!

But for me, at least that was the end of my race... I felt bad for Kelly who would have to endure that TWICE since she was doing the HIM distance!

Scout the course better. Lesson learned. It wouldn't have changed the reality of it, but I would have been mentally prepared for it which may have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, contemplated throwing up and decided not to go that route. Instead, walked through the food tent, got a banana and some water and headed back to the bike transition to wait for Kelly to get back from her second loop on the bike course. After that, my stomach had calmed down a little so I went back, got more food and then positioned myself to see Kelly a couple of times looking very strong out on the run course -- this course was VERY spectator-friendly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt flat this entire race - nothing bad happened, but just didn't have a whole lot of get up and GO! to make it through. Need to climb more hills to perform better on a course like this, too (both bike and run). I finished this race having not really met my expectations, but I knew it would be a challenge given that I don't ride or run hills with any regularity.

Event comments:

There were some great things and some not so great things about this race. The not-so-great: I didn't feel like they did a good job at telling us about the course (the difference between Oly and HIM swims, and that the 40k bike didn't have to do an out-and-back section), the website wasn't terribly informative, race ran late, some roads were REALLY bad. The great: small race, nice swim, beautiful venue, challenging course, lots of post-race food, lots of volunteers and plenty of drink stations, AG awards 5 deep (which is how I got hardware despite not even being top 50% of my AG), and a VERY VERY spectator-friendly course.

Especially having done it once and now knowing the course, I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2008-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 136/180
Performance: Average
Suit: blue seventy sleeveless
Course: Big rectangle in the Mon river. They had closed all but one of the locks to cut down on the current, though at the far south end of the course, you could feel it pushing against us.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:52 | 24.85 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 125/180
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course. Two significant climbs (I think around 1500' of climbing??? So, not too terrible, but not flat like around Chicago). Got to ride into Pennsylvania, which for some reason, I thought was really cool. :) Some of the backroads were in pretty bad shape, though.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:00 | 06.55 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 85/180
Performance: Good
Course: Five miles of flat, fast bike path. Then a turn up into the city from the river -- 1.55 miles of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-07-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1501494

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Congrats on the race and getting the hardware!  Awesome run - great description as well - that brought back nightmares I was trying to forget... Wink

That's also a great time on the bike considering you live in the Flatlands - it's tough training for those hills if you don't have any to train on!

I had a BT jersey on, but I was getting cold after the race so I put on that free white t-shirt, so sorry we didn't meet up - maybe next year! Smile

2008-07-01 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like you did pretty well though, considering you felt so flat during the race.  Good job!
2008-07-02 6:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job Laura!  I know this was tough on you but it sounds like you did great!   For someone who doesn't train on hills...WOW!!
2008-07-02 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

Thanks for your report, Laura.  Your description of you getting out of the water is pretty funny.  It is good you can joke about it.  Your method of pacing sounds a lot like mine.  Hammer the hell out of the bike and hope things don't go too bad during the run.  You say you easily get distracted by fatigue.  I am easily distracted by shiny objects.  "Welcome to the Gates of Hell!", nice!  I never take people seriously when they tell me it is going to be frickin' hard.  Then I end up walking hills in my biking shoes. 

Anyhoo, Great Job!

2008-07-03 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job at the race Laura! You stayed calm for the swim, rode hard, and then stuck with it for a tough run (and I would know what that run was like).

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed