General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
Danskin Women's Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 9s
Overall Rank = 1184/3650
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 155/370
Pre-race routine:

The night before I used as an excuse to goto Olive Garden and veer from the "diet". Ordered something heavier then I would normally. In retrospect probably should have been something on the lighter side. We woke up at an unholy 3:30am. I only got about 2 hours of sleep. We decided to bike in from the parking lot (about 2 miles) instead of leaving the bike there on Saturday at the expo. This way we got to avoid using all the shuttle buses that I keep hearing are chaotic. It worked out well for us. I didn't really eat much before hand... about 1/8 of a PBjelly sandwhich and a latte. My transition spot was fairly perfect good landmarks and even though in the center of my row still easy to find. It was a bit tricky finding an open spot on the rack though.
Event warmup:

I didn't really warm-up per say. We had that short 2 mile ride into transition and I swam for about 5 minutes before lining up for my wave. I probably should have swam a bit more. I mostly went in to see what the water was like, and make sure my goggles weren't leaking.
Swim
  • 19m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a bit nervous about the swim after my questionable experience with breathing issues in lake michigan last week. I sat myself near the middle back assuming that people would book-it in front of me giving me some space. While the water was comfortable I still had some minor gasping issues with breath, and it was hard to find my grove because of it. The crowd never seemed to thin out much until the last 5 minutes. I kept getting stuck behind a backstoker. My navigation was a bit sucky as I bounced from one side to the other. It was bright out so I ended up sighting off of swim caps rather then the markers. I thought the swim went below-par but was shocked seeing 20mins on my watch coming out. Over all about where I expected to be in the rankings given the number of people I saw that weren't strong swimmers. I did get passed by some of the wave behind me and pretty much stayed at the back of my wave, but I wasn't alone.
What would you do differently?:

Shaded Googles. My Pair broke as I was packing my transiton back. Would probably hang closer to the very back next time. I need to practice OWS and siting
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Went fairly well surpised it took me this long as I did jog into my transition. Maybe because I threw on socks, shoes, and a shirt.

Make sure bike shoes are unbuckled.
Bike
  • 39m 45s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

WHAT? 190 out of 3650??? Thats just over the top 5 percent that's INSANE! Ieeee... I know there are a lot of beginners at this particular race, but WOW I was smokin'. I was trying to make up time since I know I'm a slow swimmer. The course was really nice plenty of room to ride and pass. I hate having to yell "on your left" especially when breathing that hard. I was passing LOTS of people and only a dozen or so passed me the whole time. I really probably pushed it faster then I should have, but I was having fun. For my next race I'll have to pace myself better since it's twice the distance. I actually was going faster then my average indicates as there was some wicked head wind the last 10 minutes were really strong.

Kick it down just a notch so my breathing wasn't so hard. I didn't poop out on this race but on a longer one I might. I would also put my second water bottle holder on the bike so I could reach it. I didn't drink on the course just before and after the bike at transition.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I knew I did well when I got back to transition and less the half the bikes were on the rack for my start wave (wave 19 of 35) I jogged in and out. Transition went smoothly... BUT the funniest thing happened. Luckily my husband was there to cheer me on at the run exit, but I LEFT MY HELMET ON. He got it on video. It's so funny. Him: Helmet Me: WHat? Him: Helmet Me: Oh Shhhitttezzz... Me: tosses helmet at husband

It was too Funny.

Um, helmet off. Yeah. Maybe Bring Gatoraid to drink at transition instead of the Sports Beans.
Run
  • 35m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I was breathing fairly heavy (more then normal) coming out of transition it took me about 5 mins to calm down into normal breathing. The run was beautiful. I did get kinda over-warm at the end and started to get cold-chills. I only grabbed 2 cups at aid-station the whole way. I probably could have used more water. I felt like I was running just a bit slower then normal since I was tired but looked like I kept up a good pace better then average for me (5.25mph) I'm super proud I was able to run the whole way. I passed lots and lots of walkers but only a few runners.

Emergency Inhalor. Get one. Don't eat sports beans they are hard to eat while breathing hard. I probably should have used the shot blocks I brought instead, if I wanted nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Just a slow walk around the post-race activities and walk with my bike around the rather large transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need better breathing/sighting skills in OWS, Need to lose more weight so I can run faster.

Event comments:

I'm going to say I rate it a 5, only because it is my first race and it seemed very well orgainized, and I had a lot of fun. It was a very supportive envriment for beginners, and I didn't have issues with transport that some people did because I biked in from the outlet mall.

I'm VERY pleased with my time. Especially on the bike. I was hoping for 2 hours or less total, and I blasted that at 1:42:09. I think thats way respectable for a beginner... especially one who used to be 300lbs just over a year ago. I think I was in the top 32 percent... Probably won't be that way at Accenture as there are way more serious races there and not so many beginners attempt an International Distance. Just crazy ones like me.

I'm now a triathlete! WOO!

Last updated: 2008-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:50 | 820 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/370
Overall: 0/3650
Performance: Average
Suit: Running Tights and Javelin Tri top
Course: Straight shot across the lake between lifeguard platforms
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:45 | 12.4 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Overall: 190/3650
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop around the streets around P.P. Wisconson. Mostly Highway type roads. Mostly blocked off from traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:35:48 | 03.1 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 2227/3650
Performance: Good
Course: Run around the lake plus a loop at the top of the lake that was an out and back. Was a pretty Site.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland

2008-07-13 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1526502

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland
Congratulations on a remarkable race day, lil' miss speedy mcspeederson on the bike!! I'm impressed. It was definitely tough with all the wind.

Way to go!
2008-07-15 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
2008-07-15 11:16 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
That's a really great first race!  Way to go triathlete!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Chicagoland Rss Feed