Team Magic
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 29m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Had some yummy pasta the night before at the NAMC party at my parent’s house. Had 2 glasses of wine and lots of water
Event warmup:

Didn’t really get a warm up since the swim start was a TT start. I got to Transition pretty early so I had time to setup, go to the bathroom, eat breakfast and chit chat with friends.
Swim
  • 33m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually liked this swim! I know, hard to believe. I was nervous for a long time before this race just thinking about swimming in the river, but when it came time, I was totally fine. I started slow; well let’s face it stayed slowly. But I just wanted to take my time so I wouldn’t wear myself out. Then it started raining. So I slowed a bit in hopes the rain would let up and I would miss some of it, yeah right. Oh but loved the stairs they had this year. I was not looking forward to being yanked out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster and not breaststroke any.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

This was a longish run up stairs and into Transition. I had a good spot so I had no trouble finding my bike. I took a few extra seconds because I was a bit disoriented by all the rain and everything being completely soaked.

Nothing much, I couldn’t help the factors this time.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 56s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, were do I start. As soon as I got on the bike, I was nervous. I am not used to riding in the rain and this was going to test my skills. While the course wasn’t technical, aside from the potholes and road hazards, it was rather hilly with long slow climbs. The problem I had with this course was the rain and the traffic creating lots of wind.
I am a bit upset because I could have rocked this bike course. But I will have to prove that next year.
I will say that there were two really big descents that absolutely had me scared for my life. I was going about 30mph and the wind was pushing me all over the place and I thought my brakes were going to fail. I really hated that part of the race.

Hmmm, not much I could do differently in the conditions we had. I tried to gain as much time as I could while it was drier and less trafficy.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

T2 was tough because the ground was soaking wet and it was raining hard. I had to trot into transition so I didn’t fall. And I was quite frankly so thankful to be off that bike and alive that I don’t even remember going into transition.
I do remember be glad I turned my running shoes upside down though so I didn’t have to put on wet socks.

Maybe pay attention to what I was doing.

Run
  • 1h 16m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this run was gonna get me. The 10k is already my weak distance, and put that after the swim and bike and it was not going to be pretty. Plus I was having serious pain in my calves. I could only run for about 3 or 4 min before it became to painful.
In addition to that, I truly think that I was dealing with the fear from the bike ride while I was running. I was having a real emotional issue and getting upset with myself. I realize now that I was 1.emotional about almost completing the longest tri for me yet and 2. I had mentally checked out after that bike ride.

I really need to do longer bricks and runs to prepare for the Oly distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Rang some cowbell, had a beer and blue margarita!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather really made this race difficult on me. I was not prepared for that at all. I am jsut now getting comfortable on hill decents without rain, and this was just my worst conditions yet.

Event comments:

THis is a great race put on by Team Magic. I loved the TT start on the swim and i the volunteer prescnece was great.

Last updated: 2008-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Straight line down stream in the TN river, TT start
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:56 | 26.1 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This was an out and back course on Hwy 27 in the fast lane.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:16:15 | 06.21 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Course: This was an out and back course to along the river walk. Had a few small hills and a set of stairs to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1535501

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Fantastic job Mrs Corn!! You looked great every time I saw you out there on the course. Next year we are all going to kill that bike course.
2008-07-16 8:47 PM

User image

Master

This was the race report above all that I was waiting to read.

" I am a bit upset because I could have rocked this bike course.  "

You DID rock the bike course.  The rain and hills made that a difficult bike ride.

Be proud of yourself and your accomplishment.  I know Greg is proud of you.  I know Jackson is proud of you.  I know Ninja is proud of you.  And I know I am proud of you. 

Forget Greg signing up for an IM.  I think you should.   

2008-07-16 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1535565

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
You did a phenomenal job and yes, rocked the hell out of a scary bike course!! 
2008-07-16 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Nice job! Big congrats on finishing this distance!

2008-07-17 5:34 AM

User image

Master
Great race, Jamie! Congratulations on finishing this distance and keeping going after the scary bike. I think the folks who started earlier (myself included) really got an advantage because it only drizzled on the bike so it wasn't nearly as hazardous. Next year you will kill the bike!

2008-07-17 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
You go, girl! You did rock that bike course -- in the pouring rain! Sounds like you were able to push through and you finished. Congrats on your race and at least you know you can now race in the rain!
2008-07-17 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1535879

User image

Master
Woodstock
Congrats on your first oly! I am so proud of you. This is a tough distance and tough conditions, and you still did a great job!
2008-07-17 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I saw you on the run, and while you may not have felt great, you looked great. Consider what you just did compared to the general population. It was a very defining experience for a lot of us. I saw that you were emotional after the race, but you know what, you had reason to be. Right about now you should be really excited about what you did, and what you can do in the future. Keep at it. Stay strong, and never check out until you cross that finish line. That's something I learned this weekend just like a lot of others. Great job.
2008-07-20 7:00 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Jamie!!!  You should be so proud of yourself for pushing through even in those tough conditions. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed