Musselman Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Did a little swimming near the swim start to get used to the underwater plant life so it wouldn't freak me out. Surprised at how shallow the water level was: knee high.
Swim
  • 08m 16s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off in knee high water and didn't get too much deeper for the first 25 yds. It was the Grabass Olympics out there, what with 60+ people in my wave going off at once. This swim was much better than the Ann Arbor Tri because I didn't panic, I breathed normally, and I had the confidence I needed. I did, however, have flashes of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis; you know, that ship that went down at the end of WWII, where 880 men went into the water and 300 came out...what with the sharks eating them. Eeeeek!
What would you do differently?:

Don't start out in the front. You're not fast enough to be the leader and it only results in more hits to the head than Eric Lindros.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

HR was racing out of the water, probably because we had to run the last 100 yds with such shallow depth, but the time was improved over AA Tri. Alaina was great, shouting my improved time and cheering.

Run faster to transition, not just jogging at the speed of someone ahead. Practice more Swim/Bike bricks.
Bike
  • 45m
  • 15 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Compared to the Ann Arbor Tri, I came out of the water with 10x more strength in the legs, but my HR was through the roof. I pushed the pace up the hills, and I think I can gain a lot of time on other riders on the climbs because I would get ahead of the 3-4 riders around, but they'd catch me on the downhill. I can't wait to use my P2 on the next race to keep up on the downhills.

About 5 miles into the bike, I was going back and forth with 3 other riders, taking the lead uphill and losing on the down. We kept our 3 bike length distance without a problem on the generous shoulders.

At the 7 mile mark, about 8 other cyclists came up on me and the other 2 riders near me, and then everyone slowed as the group bunched up. Again, I would gain on the uphill, but the pack couldn't separate because they'd all go the same speed on the downhill. There were riders in front of me trying to get up, in back trying to pass, and way out into the traffic lane coming from behind. No one was actually on anyone else's wheel, but there simply wasn't enough room for everyone on that road. And then the Race Motorcycle came up from behind at that exact moment, writing down numbers immediately as we tried to separate. There simply was no place to go. Braking would've been a likely crash, and speeding up couldn't last, even if you could muscle your way through the pack, so it was a no win situation. I just don't understand why they took our numbers without even a warning that we were too close together. And the motorcycle wasn't there for 15 seconds to see if we were actually trying to draft or just caught in a pack. The middle of the pack-ers aren't trying to cheat, we're just the same speed, in a very large group, on a short and hilly course. It completely sucked.

I actually thought the course was 12 miles and wasn't able to check that because we camped w/o internet, so that teaches me to do my homework. I'm staying the heck away from everyone and communicating more if I get into a group that's too close together.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Unclipped my shoes and did nearly a flying dismount for the first time ever, so that was pretty cool.

try to get out of my shoes before T2
Run
  • 23m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I started at a 7min/mi pace, but couldn't keep it up because my HR was exploding and it got extremely hot out. My family and Alaina's family both came out and were amazing cheerleaders, as I could hear them coming into every transition area.

Throughout the run, I didn't see anyone from my age group pass me, so that felt good, but the legs weren't going much faster. There were some very fast runners here, and I should've been able to crank it up, but race day is just so different than training. I'll have to be ready for that.

Start the race at 7 or 8, not 9. I guess that's out of my control. Practice running in high 80 degree weather and figure out something to think about to get my mind off how much I wanted to stop.
Post race
Warm down:

My head was kind of dizzy after the run, and my body extremely fatigued. I felt crappy overall so I ate 2 pieces of watermelon, tried some pretzels, and drank 2 bottles of water. I stretched a bit and sat down in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. Not enough aid stations before the run. Not drinking enough on the bike.

Event comments:

I'd never do this race again because of the drafting penalty that was unwarranted and unfair. No aid stations along the course until 1 mile into the run really sucked.

Last updated: 2008-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:16 | 500 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue 70 Energie
Course: Triangular shape out into the deeper water, then back toward shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:00 | 15 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
The Garmin showed 20.7, which is significantly higher for me, so I don't know if their time included the drafting penalty or not.
Wind: Some
Course: Lolipop loop through farm roads with some good roads, some poor roads in terms of quality. More steady hill climbs than I expected with 1-2 miles of solid downhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:26 | 03 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Again, my Garmin showed a 7:39 pace, but this one was closer to their time than the bike.
Course: 1.5 mile out and back with one very small hill. Pretty run, right along the lake.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-07-17 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1536496

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

RYAN!!!!! Dude! Nice race my friend!!! On your new bike I think you would have seen 21.5 mph! It was great meeting you and again, congrats on rocking the course!!!

BTW - You have one hell of a training partner!

2008-07-17 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You rocked it out there! What awesome splits, all around! And to think in your last race, you had a panic attack and you immediately went to swimming a blazing 1:39 per hundred- that's incredible! Awesome, awesome job
2008-07-17 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Awesome job! Bummer about the penalty, but your times were fricking outstanding. Jazz better watch out!
2008-07-17 4:08 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Don't hold the race director or the volunteers responsible for a drafting penalty. The water station on the run was at 1 mile and 2 miles, I'm sorry I missed you go by I would have cheered you on.

It won't make you feel any better but I got an overtaking penalty at my foirst Oly this year that took first place away from me. You just move on. On your new bike you'll be waaaaay ahead of the MOPers and won't have top worry about it.

It was great meeting you and I have to say to give Geneva another go next year. It's a great race venue and Jeff puts a lot of effort to make it a great triathlon weekend.

Rock on Ryan!! Make sure Alaina's not drafting you on your new bike. Tell her to keep her distance! (When she's in front, DRAFT AWAY!!!)

Edited by rstocks3 2008-07-17 4:08 PM
2008-07-17 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Great job!  Those are pretty darn fast splits in all three disciplines.

2008-07-17 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
I never meant to take out my anger on the volunteers or blame them in any way; they were awesome and very very supportive. In fact, everyone that came out to the race was truly inspirational. I've retracted several of my comments because they sounded misdirected. As I look back at the pictures of myself in this race I remember the fact that I had an absolute blast. I'm smiling in every one of them and I felt great.
2008-07-18 7:22 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

So I guess I'll see you next year when you and Alaina come back for revenge!!

TRIATHLETE

2008-07-18 2:38 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Honesty is good.  Nothing wrong with a little criticism.

And you haven't trained that much, and LOOK AT THOSE TIMES!!  Must be nice to be young.

Great job, Ryan!

2008-07-21 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Nice race Ryan! It should be interesting to see just how fast you get after a little more training time. Very, very cool.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed