90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 42m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 24 and under
Age Group Rank = 30/35
Pre-race routine:

DAY BEFORE:
Woke up at 8:00a. Had larabar and string cheese. Went on 25 minute bike ride in Central Park, with camelpak. Then, had 15 minute treadmill run at a nice clip 10:30 mile. After ride, had large soy milk/peanut butter/banana/vanilla/cinnamon shake and lots of water. Relaxed in the morning, packed all my stuff up, and had greek food for lunch: Chicken gyro, with rice and salad. Yummy!
4:00 in the afternoon, dropped the bike off at the transition area, and took a tour of the transition. Had an early dinner of linguine with clam sauce, and went to bed around 8. Woke up at 1:51, stressed for a while, then went back to sleep. Woke up at 4:00 to alarm. Had soymilk, banana, peanut butter, cinnamon and vanilla shake. Went with my mom to transition to set up my stuff.
Event warmup:

There was a mile walk from transition to the swim start, so did that with my mom. Stretched a tiny bit, but not much. Got in my wetsuit, and went!
Swim
  • 27m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started towards the wall, which didn't get the best current, but also stayed out of the way of most of the swimmers, so that was worth it. What an interesting place for a swim. By the time it was time for my wave, the current had dropped considerably, though the chop wasn't so great. I started swimming, and felt absolutely great. The water was warm, I was swimming well, I felt really confident, etc. After about 800 yards, I felt something slimy, and saw it was pinkish colored. First, I said out loud, "please don't be a hand, please don't be a hand." Then, my face felt incredibly tingly and painful, and I realized it was a jelly-fish. This happened about twice more. Some people were pulled out because of jelly-fish stings, and pretty much everyone got stung. That was really weird. However, even with that, my swim was still fantastic for me!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Navigate better, start more in the current, and get a sleeveless wetsuit, as the water was very, very warm for a long sleeve suit. Also, practice OWS more, to get a lot faster.
Transition 1
  • 10m 27s
Comments:

So, this transition (and my times) are very confusing, and this is where I kinda lost almost everything. I walked up the (painful) barge, and ran from the swim finish to transition, which was 400 yards, barefoot on asphalt. This was actually really good, right until the end - ran, felt confident and great. Then, I felt a shooting pain in my foot, and couldn't walk. I hobbled over to a table, and saw that a pebble had literally gone through the skin, into my foot. It was horrifically painful, right on the ball of my foot. I asked about 5 volunteers if I could go to the medical tent without getting disqualified, but they didn't know. However, I took my chances, as there was no way I would have been able to run with that thing in my foot. So, the run and hobble of about 100 yards to the medical tent was what was 10:27. (which is where they clocked me leaving transition.) There were plenty of bikes still in transition at this point. After that, there was about 14-17 minutes in the med tent as well as doing the actual transition. They didn't have tweezers (interesting choice!) so they first tried to get it out with a pen, and then they used medical scissors (or kitchen shears, I'm not sure.) So, all together, the transition was a bit less than half an hour, but the additional 17 minutes is reflected in my bike time. Oddly enough, considering the pain, etc., the transition was actually really good - got my shoes, gloves, helmet, eyeglasses on etc., had to walk with the bike, but it still was concise and well done. However, by that time, basically all the bikes were gone.

Not get a pebble lodged in my foot? It's hard to say, because it was such a bizarre experience.
Bike
  • 1h 57m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 12.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, this is actually about 14-17 minutes shorter, because I had to enter the transition twice. My bike clock said something like 1:42-3, but I don't remember, and checked after hand wheeling it through transition twice. This was really tough, especially as I felt so discouraged after the injury to my foot, and loosing so much time. It was really hot, etc. However, no excuses, and it was actually a really fine ride! It was my average training pace, which was really good, even though I wanted to go faster than average. What can you do? I did it, I passed some people, got passed by a ton of people, and worked my ass off. Also, my nutrition felt really great - two gels, 1/2 bottle of carbo pro, and camelpak. I kinda want to let go of the camelpak, as it feels like it identifies me as uber beginner. However, besides a slight headache and a lot of tiredness, I felt really great.

If I decide not to quite a race, than don't quit emotionally. I was so dejected for so much of the ride, that even though I pushed really hard, I was miserable and not present. It was also a slightly oddly organized race, as the young women were before the really fast men, so I got passed all the time, which is kind of depressing. However, it was really my pride (much more than my foot) that was really hurt. It was frustrating, but I really let it get to my head.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

A really good transition. was all the way at the back of the transition, so this was a 150 walk (wasn't going to run on that foot) changed my shoes, grabbed my stuff, and went.

Run with the bike, drink while running, figure out how to get off bike gloves without stopping.
Run
  • 1h 12m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, that is really good time considering. My foot started burning pretty quickly, and the humidity was so intense that I couldn't breathe, so I had to walk. I ran as much as possible on the run, but walked all the water stations, and walked more than I would have liked. My foot didn't even hurt that bad until the end, but when it started, it really started hurting. Around mile 3, it felt like it was burning quite significantly. Sprinted the finish, which was really hard, as the finish was insanely long, as mentioned before. Ran the last mile pretty well. Even though the finish was really long, it was soo cool to see my grandma and aunt there. One of my best friends, as well as my parents, were there also. It was fabulous to hear them yelling.

Trained more with speed and hills, gotten less frustrated, and not hurt my foot.
Post race
Warm down:

Medical tent for them to check my foot, (I was crying, and in a lot of pain at this point.) The cut was not big, but was still bleeding after the race. Got my medal, finishers hat, went to find my family, got a bagel. Then, there was the ridiculous adventure of having to get my bike. Thank God for my aunt, who drove me back, and for my best friend, who helped me get all my stuff together with my limping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously my foot, but also my attitude, I really didn't have the fun I usually do, and allowed myself to get really effected by stuff that was so out of my control. Even at the end, I really didn't honor my accomplishment the way I would have liked to, even though I am trying to now. I had a really hard goal, which I knew was way too hard but it was a fantasy. If I subtract the med tent time, (approximate) I basically made my goal, give or take 3-4 minutes. So, that's really great. It's especially amazing that I kept going, as I really wanted to quit after my foot, as it hurt so badly.

Event comments:

I would say 5, if they had thought of a few more things, like carpeting on the asphalt, educating the volunteers about the rules (such as you won't be disqualified for using the medical tent) and having tweezers in the medical tent. Also, mentioning there were jelly-fish would have been nice. However, the volunteers were spectacular, and it really was the "iron-man treatment" with a finishers hat, med tents, and the quality of volunteers that you get from ironman. It was really cool, although I am debating if I want to do it again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:39 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Long sleeve wet suit
Course: Straight shot in the Hudson river. Start holding on to a rope, and swim straight on to a barge, which was covered with beautiful lifeguards. Hey, I can look!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:27
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:57:22 | 24.85 miles | 12.70 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 24.85 miles, with six sharp turns on the Henry Hudson parkway. Some tough climbs, but overall a great, challenging course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:44 | 06.21 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A very hilly course in Central Park...wow hard. The finish is the worst, as it snakes around for about 1/4 of a mile, and just is endless.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 4:21 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2008-07-20 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1543605

Regular
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Congrats on finishing!  I read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/sports/othersports/21triathlon.html?hp right before I read your RR and it sounds like it was a really challenging event.... x2 with a bloody foot! Hope it heals fast and props to you for fighting through the mental and physical challenges!
2008-07-20 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1543637

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Great job, Wow you are a tough!
I wish I could have raced but had to defer due to an elbow injury.
PS. Great race report!
2008-07-20 4:55 PM

Regular
Congrats!! definitely a tough day to be out, and sounds like you had even more challenges than most -- great job!
2008-07-20 5:06 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Wow.  Great job working through all the unforeseen challenges (jellyfish and pebbles stuck in your foot)!  I also read the Times article and went to BT to see who raced and what they thought of the jellyfish.  Again, great job!
2008-07-20 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Sorry to hear about the foot.  That was some interesting transition exits, between the bike up and out and the steep uphill run.

As for the jellyfish, I didn't even realize until after the race was over that it was jellyfish.  I noticed some stinging sensations and thought maybe I was having a reaction to something in the water.

Great race! 

2008-07-20 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Congrats on finishing -wow I thought my race was bad today, I need to shuut up now! You are my hero!
2008-07-20 6:35 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Congrats on your race.  I would bet that a lot of people would have packed it up after finding a rock embedded in their foot. I'm glad our lakes out here aren't full of jellyfish.  That sounds like no fun.
2008-07-20 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great job on a tough day. The jellyfish and the heat weren't enough for you? You had to step on a pebble too?

Great job, and congrats.
2008-07-21 5:40 AM

Congratulations on finishing with such challenges.  I was actually the volunteer that brought medical into transition for you.  We were all very impressed with your tough, "I will finish attitude". 

I agree we volunteers should have been armed with more technical information but I think race organizers were mostly concerned about explaining how to manage the athlete flow from one event to the next.  In yellow transition we had the pros back from the bike as people were still finishing the swim.

So happy to hear your crossed the finish!

2008-07-21 6:59 AM

User image

Master
NJ
Great job out there! When I get passed by tons of people. I always remember
to race my race..it helps when I get sad about so many people going faster.
As long as Im doing MY best, then Im happy. Great work!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed