General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is a carbon bike really better than aluminum? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-26 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1561404

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: is a carbon bike really better than aluminum?
JohnnyKay - 2008-07-26 3:12 PM
sty - 2008-07-26 2:01 PM

Comparing comfort, stiffness, power transfer, weight, etc between aluminium and carbon is still pretty subjective between individual riders and some generalizations can be downright misleading, such as aluminium being stiffer and carbon giving a more 'comfortable' ride. Varies betweeen manufacturer, model, frame size, rider fit, weight, the way the planets line up and if you hang right or left.

x1,000,000   

Agreed. And of course everyone knows the best frames are made of titanium.

2008-07-26 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1560579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
FWIW, I bought my tri bike last year with a few things in mind. First was reliability and function. Second came comfort, as I am doing IMOO this year, then will likely just do sprint-Olympic distance events. Third was the fact that I know a few people who did bad things to their carbon frames on the trainer, and, living in Minnesota, I need a bike I can ride on the trainer all winter.

I went with aluminum and was just fine on my 80-mile ride today. Would I have been a little more comfy on a carbon bike? Probably. Would a carbon bike have performed any better? Who knows.

That said, I am afraid to try out other people's carbon bikes. I mean, what if they ARE that much more comfortable??? What would my wife say if I bought a new bike?!?!?!?!

2008-07-26 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Amy,

I would go out and ride both. Personally I did not notice a huge difference in comfort from an Aluminum to Carbon bike, but I did feel a small difference. Not sure if this was the fit or the Carbon. Ultegra and DA are very close and I dont think you would notice the difference.

I also remember reading that out of Cervelo tri bikes, the P2SL was slightly more adjustable than either the P2C or P3C.

Locally I think both Bonzai and Contes sell Cervelo.

I agree - you need a new bike, your Dual has been pretty beaten down.

Edited by docswim24 2008-07-26 7:20 PM
2008-07-26 8:16 PM

User image

Longmont, Colorado
For my first tri bike I leaned towards geometry that suited me the best in a bike fit. Turned out to be an Argon 18 Mercury which is part carbon part aly. There are a lot of little differences between tri bike mfg. that trump aly vs. carbon in my opinion. Carbon is a great material for many reasons but that doesn't mean it is the best. The upgrade on my bike is the E-112 which is full carbon, and weighs more than my Mercury. Why? Carbon is easier to mold into aerodynamic forms than aluminum so they went for aero over weight. If you want to save weight do it by swapping components that spin and move.

I agree with the saving money idea. It is very cool to have a P2C, they are great looking bikes. We all know, in the world of triathlon the bike is the bling. But if you can save some dough.. do it. Spend that money on race registration, training, etc.. that's where you get the most benefit, from experience.

But then again, a cool bike makes you want to get out on it more.

Oh, and comfort is important of course. I like the aly w/ carbon stays and fork the best, better than full carbon.

Edited by logike30 2008-07-26 8:19 PM
2008-07-26 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
turtlegirl - 2008-07-25 10:09 PM

I'm in need of a new bike. I love my Cervelo Dual....would LOVE a P2C, I am poor. Thats my quandry. Saw what I think is an awesome deal for a P2-SL with Dura Ace. It will cost a lot less than the P2C with ultegra, the components I would be getting. What makes more sense?

discuss. of course I have to lose 10 pounds before I allow myself to buy anything.

ok, i read about half the posts here, was going to not reply but read a few more and now feel the need to.

as someone who is trying to make a career out of racing triathlons, here are my thoughts and experinces on the bikes and what they are made of.

What the bike is made of has very little to do with how it feels vs how the bike is made. a well made alum bike will feel sooo much nicer than a lower end carbon one.

the fork, wheels, bars, and tires will make a HUGE diff in how the bike feels.

two of the last 4 bikes i have been on were alum, and were for what its worth some of the most amazing rides i have been on.

the change from the dual to the P2SL will get you almost no where in terms of speed (if you need a new frame for other reasons thats a diff thing).

the diff between the P2 and the P2C speed wise is about 1sec per km.

carbon does not absorob road vibration any more than a well made alum frame (fork aside).

carbon is lighter, some carbon frames are, but so are some alum ones, you can make a cervelo dual weigh in at around 15 pounds if you want.
2008-07-26 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
This is my 4th year riding a P2SL.......great bike and very comfortable (longest rides are @ 2hrs). As mentioned above, the fit is ultimately going to be most important. Any reputable tri-shop will fit you to see which bike is best for you (it may even be another brand).

When I was fitted, the Dual was the optimum geometry for me but the shop didnt have any in stock. I "had" to go with the P2SL (twist my arm) and it has fit very well.....again I am very pleased.

Another point......back when I purchased my P2SL, it came with Wolf Carbon TT forks, FSA carbon crank and aero carbon seatpost. All these places are where road vibrations (not all) are transfered to the rider. Not the same as all carbon frame but different than having AL forks, seatpost, etc. as well (I see they changed to AL seatpost on P2SL for '08).

Either way you cant go wrong.....have fun in the process and post pics of the one you end up with

2008-07-26 11:00 PM
in reply to: #1561955

User image

Elite

rfergus5 - 2008-07-26 10:54 PM This is my 4th year riding a P2SL.......great bike and very comfortable (longest rides are @ 2hrs). As mentioned above, the fit is ultimately going to be most important. Any reputable tri-shop will fit you to see which bike is best for you (it may even be another brand). When I was fitted, the Dual was the optimum geometry for me but the shop didnt have any in stock. I "had" to go with the P2SL (twist my arm) and it has fit very well.....again I am very pleased. Another point......back when I purchased my P2SL, it came with Wolf Carbon TT forks, FSA carbon crank and aero carbon seatpost. All these places are where road vibrations (not all) are transfered to the rider. Not the same as all carbon frame but different than having AL forks, seatpost, etc. as well (I see they changed to AL seatpost on P2SL for '08). Either way you cant go wrong.....have fun in the process and post pics of the one you end up with

that is a very good point! (about the transfer places).  the only real experience I have in terms of carbon vs. non-c is when I borrowed a friend's bike that didn't have a carbon fork.  Wow, that was hard on the arms!  But my bike has been through A LOT and has basically come out intact...pretty amazing. 

2008-07-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1561616

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
the bear - 2008-07-26 6:45 PM
JohnnyKay - 2008-07-26 3:12 PM
sty - 2008-07-26 2:01 PM

Comparing comfort, stiffness, power transfer, weight, etc between aluminium and carbon is still pretty subjective between individual riders and some generalizations can be downright misleading, such as aluminium being stiffer and carbon giving a more 'comfortable' ride. Varies betweeen manufacturer, model, frame size, rider fit, weight, the way the planets line up and if you hang right or left.

x1,000,000   

Agreed. And of course everyone knows the best frames are made of titanium.

Actually, industry insiders are claiming that the next new wave of "best material" that will revolutionaize frame building is supposed to include thermoplastic composites (as opposed to thermoset composites, what we all now refer to generically as "carbon"  ) which is still essentially carbon, but is nowhere near as brittle, can be very easily repaired by heating and re-moulding, and is considered a green/environmentally-friendly product because of the lack of toxic gasses emitted during production and that it can be 100% recycled - even into a brand new frame. I believe only Yeti  bikes are built using this process, a joint venture with Kaiser Aerospace and Penske racing.

But I will agree that nekkid Ti shore is purdy.

EDIT to get rid of those stupid demon smilies that think all parentheses are an open invitation to hijack my hijack

Edited by sty 2008-07-27 7:31 AM
2008-07-27 9:23 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
I switched to carbon (Giant road bike) two years ago after riding an aluminum frame for 5 years. Have used the aluminum Specialized for commuting since then. The aluminum might be a bit stiffer, but for me not huge. I just rode the aluminum a couple of weeks ago as I was prepping it to loan to a friend to do a HIM. I thought to myself, darn I still like this bike. I'd think proper fit is more important than the material. I do think the carbon rides a bit smoother. No matter what though, success comes from training and can't be purchased. Losing 10lbs is sure fire way to improve. Most would rather drop 4 grand to lose 2lbs off of a bike's weight rather than train it off their mid section. About the bike, that's a tough decision if on a tight budget. 10lbs that's a no-brainer, there you will see a difference (certainly on the run - for most that is 20s/mile!).
2008-07-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1561268

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

sty - 2008-07-26 2:01 PM Comparing comfort, stiffness, power transfer, weight, etc between aluminium and carbon is still pretty subjective between individual riders and some generalizations can be downright misleading, such as aluminium being stiffer and carbon giving a more 'comfortable' ride. Varies betweeen manufacturer, model, frame size, rider fit, weight, the way the planets line up and if you hang right or left.

What he said.  There is no noticeable difference in weight, stiffness, compliance, etc. between the two.  It is all in how it is built.

The lightest stuff you see is carbon, but there are alum. that are the same range.  Carbon has a little bit more fudge factor should it be crashed though.  Alum. is pretty much trash after you've crashed it.

The reason more manufacturers are building with carbon?  Because you can design it however the heck you want into whatever shape you want and make it as light as you want.  That is a lot harder to do with steel, ti or alum. and still build something you can re-create for the masses.

I ride a 1kg Scott carbon frame and the complete 58cm bike built up weighs right in at the UCI weight limit of 6.9kg.  And after tomorrow night it will be below that when I pick up my new cranks.  Zipp Vuma ...... yummy!!!  It is stiff, crazy light and rides fantastic.

As far as buying the Ultegra vs. the DA model????  Total waste of money.  The ONLY difference, and I do mean ONLY, between the two is the rear derailleur.  Completely not worth it (although I'm a huge fan of DA over Ultegra) for the money.

2008-07-27 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1561424

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
PennState - 2008-07-26 4:31 PM

I have an aluminum specialized transition. It is very comfortable and I rode for over 5.5 hours last weekend at LP on it without any trouble.... and I do not have much padding either.

As far as a 'softer' ride, you will get more of this from a slightly lower tire pressure than from going from aluminum to carbon.

It's your money, spend it any way you want, but carbon is partly 'real' and partly 'good marketing' by bike companies.

x4000. I've got a partly aluminum, party carbon ride, and it's good. I've also got an aluminum roadie, and love the power transfer...much better. So each have their plusses, and minuses.

Don't upgrade just 'cause. No reason to.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is a carbon bike really better than aluminum? Rss Feed  

of 2