Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 27s
Overall Rank = 44/281
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/30
Pre-race routine:

Race Day, Yahoo!

Up at 5:45 to do my normal morning routine. Eat a banana, cliff bar, etc. and got cleaned up and ready to race. I left the hotel after packing up the car around 6:30 am. Talked to Lisa on the road and she was on the way down with Brek...and they sounded like they were having a pretty good time and were even less awake than I was ;-)

Got to the race site, checked my tires, unloaded the car and headed over to get my chip and get marked. Oh and before I get to far, let me say that it was a gorgeous morning, sunny and likely in the low 70's by the time the race started. So, I got marked, etc. and headed over to transition...I always do this to myself. I'm in transition spot by 7:30 for a 9:00 start and setting up takes me like five minutes! Took care of setting things up, tracked down some water and took a quick run in between bathroom breaks. Lisa and Brek showed up just as I got back to transition and it was absolutely great to see some familiar, friendly faces.
Swim
  • 13m 13s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Around 8:40 I changed into my new wetsuit and headed down to the beach. What a suit, wow! During my warmup I pretty much felt like I was floating in the water. It was a huge difference vs. my pool swims. After that I waited around a bit for my wave to start...I was in the third wave and we started at 9:08. Jumped in the water and once the horn sounded I was off...what a great swim. I took my time and sighted often. I only had minor contact with the other swimmers and only got off course just a bit here and there...overall a great swim until the end. A couple hundred yards from the beach there was pretty dense seaweed so I swam for a bit in it and stood up to walk about 50 yards from the beach. It took me a bit to get to the sand so I likely should have just kept swimming a little bit longer.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...I could swim this distance a little faster but I don't think I need to. For my second OWS ever I'm very happy with everything except drafting which I'll make more of a priority next year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Nothing major...suit came off pretty quickly and I was off. I need to get some tri shoes and work on mounting with my shoes already clipped in but that hasn't happened yet. But it will!!!

Learn to mount my bike while it is moving and with my shoes attached.
Bike
  • 53m 53s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Off to change and I was on the bike before I knew it. I knew the bike course was pretty hilly so I tried to hold back a bit. The first section going out was great and with only a minor hill or two. Made the first right and prepped for the first big hill...and luckily it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I got a really nice long downhill for my effort! Made the next turn and kept on pushing through some nice farms and minor hills...about three-quarters of the way I got passed by two people in my AG so I started to book it. I pushed hard and passed them both and for the rest of the race I went back and forth with them until we were off the bike. I did let them finish ahead because they were pushing a little faster pace than I could handle without bonking on the run. It was tough to let them go but I had to be smart and hope I could pass them on the run. But I'm getting ahead of myself, let me mention the final hill which was brutal. To the point that I was in the my easiest gear and was pushing as hard as I could! Great, huh...right before running I get the hill from hell!

Train on more hills and more time in the saddle...I'm going to use and abuse whatever trainer I get this winter.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Off the bike and run to transition. Dump the bike and helmet and put my right shoe on....only to have the insole bunch up...take it off and check it, only to have it happen a second time. So, I put on my left shoe and then my third again and it bunched again. Now time is ticking away and I'm pissed it is taking me so damn long so I decide to say eff it, grabbed my race belt and took off. It sorted itself out but holy shit was I pissed!

UPDATE: This little snafu caused me to be the slowest in T2 in my AG. That minute would have moved me up about two spots to sixth!!!!

Get some better shoes!
Run
  • 22m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was hilly, then there were even more hills. None of them were that bad but short steep hills feel pretty monstrous at that stage! I pushed as hard as I could, taking water at every stop. I didn't get passed by many and did pass several in my AG. Before I knew it I was at the finish and pushed as hard as I could but got passed by one guy at the end ;-(

Train on more hills...
Post race
Warm down:

Wrapped up, tracked down Lisa and ate a boatload of food. I checked the results and saw that I was around the top 50 and in the top 10 AG so I stuck around for the awards to see some of the winners and relax. Then took off and headed home...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall time on the bike and my shoes in T2.

UPDATE: Now that I have my overall results the glaring weaknesses are the bike (which will improve with time) and my transitions. My swim and run are coming along nicely and I'm happy with those results. But transition speed has got to improve dramatically...by at least 40-50% before next season.

Event comments:

Overall I'd say this is a great race. It is tough, the hills on both the bike and run are a lot unless you train on hills often. But it was well organized and there were plenty of volunteers to make sure everything went off without a hitch. The only negative was that there wasn't a sole checking the bikes as we left transition after the race. I'm not sure what happened but I always hate it when security is that lax!

Last updated: 2008-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:13 | 750 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 38/281
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo Ultrafull
Course: Triangle out to the left and back around to the beach...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:53 | 16.5 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 63/281
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Hills in farm country...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:27 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 37/281
Course: Out and back on a hilly country road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-17 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Luray Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1608989

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: RE: Luray Sprint Triathlon

Great race dude!  Fantastic swim time!  If I can get even close to that fast by next year I will be extremely happy.  Awesome run too!  That's a great time for a hilly course.  And 18.37 MPH on a hilly ride is pretty stellar too.  It's hard to push up those hills in a higher gear... especialy at the start of the ride.  

Besides the little mishap with your shoes in T2 (if you don't already... try www.locklaces.com -- local company out of Glen Burnie and I use these in all my running shoe snow) it sounds like it was a great race and you had fun.  You should be all set for the Patriot.... NICE AND FLAT!!! 

2008-08-18 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good job Chris.  Too bad about the running shoes.  The bike course seems like it was nice, but I suspect you were all business out there.

I look forward to the day that my run times get down to yours.

Congrats.

2008-08-18 8:06 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
very very nice race.  you're gonna tear it up at patriots!
2008-08-19 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job and congratulations on the race! Luray is definitely a challenging course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed