Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 44s
Overall Rank = 117/358
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

PBH Waffle at the hotel, picked up packet and set up transition, helped Janelle set up her transition, very short swim in water to make sure my goggles weren't leaking.
Event warmup:

Nothing really
Swim
  • 07m 48s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim actually went pretty well. I decided to breathe every other stroke, based on watching the olympics the night before (the 800). I decided maybe I should give that a try. :) It seemed to work well and aside from the very crowded start, I enjoyed the swim.

Females: 25/82
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Decent run from swim to transition this year. Had a little trouble balancing to get my shoes on in the itty bitty space for transition at this race, but moved fairly quickly.

AG: 1/9
Females: 3/82

Nothing
Bike
  • 38m 9s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was good, except I knocked the wrong button on my bike computer and only had current pace. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at, but I really only had to click one button to show the right thing - I guess I'll know for next time.

Goal was to be over 20mph average again, which I accomplished (I think the course was actually closer to 13 miles - so average would be 20.45)! Very happy with bike split, although I think I could have pushed a little harder still.

Females: 5/82

Push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Had to dodge a lot of people getting through transition - I was actually yelling "on your left"/"on your right" manuevering through! With 7 bikes per rack, I had to move out of the way to let the guy next to me get to his space after I racked my bike - so I lost a little time here too. Happy with sub 1 minute here, but could have been faster.

AG: 3/9
Females: 20/82

Not sure
Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out pretty good, although I fumbled with my visor and watch a little more than normal (I hadn't set them up the same way I usually do for some reason). About .75miles in, I got this annoying cramp through the center of my stomach. I could feel the sloshing, so I knew I had overdone it with the water on the bike - darn! I overcompensated after drinking too little at Steelhead.

I started to take a walk break, but this random guy came up behind me and said he heard a lot of people cheering for me, so I should run. I guess he heard my parents at transition, but it worked. I forced myself to run, although it wasn't the 8:15 pace I had hoped for. Lost far too many places here, but I did what I could.

At the end, I saw a girl with 27 on her leg ease past me. Crap - I have to run faster. I forced myself to pick up the pace and went past her again. I started debated if I passed her too early - what if she surges past me at the last second, maybe I should have hung right behind her. Thank goodness, she was hurting a bit too and it didn't happen. After we crossed the finish line she said she tried to sprint past, but couldn't - thank goodness!

Females: 30/82

Drink less on the bike, it's just a sprint!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, checked the results, FREAKED OUT when I saw that I got 1st in my age group. I didn't even look at my splits or total time, because I was so excited about the award. :) Waited in the swarming gnats happily for my trophy. The club racked up the awards at this race :)

2nd Overall Female - Stephanie B
2nd AG - Doug B
2nd AG - Kirk B
1st Athena - Jamie Corn
1st AG - ME!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nervous about going faster on the bike, stomach cramp on the run.

Event comments:

This is a great race - low key, beginner friendly, great course. Well-run race, as usual. The swim was a little more crowded than ideal, but there was talk about moving the location a little next to address this issue. I hope they don't move much, though, because I really enjoy this race!

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:48 | 400 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 0/358
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Square course with buoys on the right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:09 | 13.6 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Wind:
Course: Loop course on flat to rolling terrain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:59 | 03.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/9
Performance: Average
Course: Y-shaped run course - fairly flat to rolling
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

2008-08-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1612016

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Triathlon
Yea!! Your first Tri AG award and it was for 1st place.  Apparently you didn't get the instructions on how to do this...You start at 3rd and work your way up.  Now you have to start eyeing the overall spots since you already topped out the AG.
2008-08-19 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great job.  Congrats on winning your age group.
2008-08-19 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Huge Age group win. Congrats. Love the running part of the race report. You made some critical decisions there that led to the 1st place. Excellent job.
2008-08-19 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Great Race!   Nice job figuring out the bike was only 13 miles.  I couldn't get the auto calc button to give me the pace that the results said, but once I typed in 13 miles it was correct.  Sneaky Jim Rainey.  He must've known it was only 13! 
2008-08-19 6:13 PM

User image

Master

Awesome race, Heather!  I tried so hard to catch up with you on the bike but you were tooo fast!

2008-08-20 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA

Great race Heather! You were lightning fast! Congrats on your AG win!

And to your sister too who did her first race. It must have been special to share that with her. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Triathlon Rss Feed