Triad Tri Team
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m
Overall Rank = 4/16
Age Group = Male
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Start time was 12:00 noon, so no rushing about for me. Ate a bagel with peanut butter on it and washed it down with gatorade. Accelerade and water for the rest of the morning.
Event warmup:

50 in the pool. I was pressed for time - they started me early, or I would have done more.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 650 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started to tire around 600m, but I stayed smooth the whole time. Focused on lifting the elbows toward the end. Converting to yards, I'm actually 2 sec/100y faster than my last tri, which is encouraging.
What would you do differently?:

Build endurance and anaerobic endurance.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Transition time was 3 mins for everyone. Plenty of time to throw on some biking shorts over top of tri suit and get downstairs to the fitness center. Stretched a little bit before climbing on bike.

Nothing. T1 time did not count toward overall performance in this type of tri.
Bike
  • 20m
  • 9.87 miles
  • 29.61 mile/hr
Comments:

The pace is actually a little skewed since I was on a stationary bike. It was a Lifefitness type stationary - they tend to measure pace a little quicker than the precor's that I'm used to. The higher the resistance, the faster you go. Started at 15 resistance and bounced around 14-16 the entire time. I had a good burn going. I had my seat adjusted better than the last tri so I felt very comfortable during the bike. I also lost a lot of fluid while biking - since its indoor, there was no wind to cool you off. I think I kept pace with hydration though. Nice sprint at high resistance and high cadence to finish the bike off

Continue to work on keeping cadence at higher resistances.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Again, this transition doesn't really count in the scoring, so the strategy is to get as long a rest period in that you can. In T2, I stripped off the bike shorts - back down to the trishorts. Did some stretching of calves and hammy's and tried to get my breath back.
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.33 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't do too well on the run. I started out at a comfortable pace for me 9.30min/mile. Very tight chest - hyperventilated feeling for the first couple of minutes. I got it under control in about 2 mins then started increaseing speed. I'm happy that I didn't really hit any walls during the run where I had to back down on the speed. But, maybe I didn't hit any walls because I wasn't running fast and hard enough. I think I had too much left in the tank at the end - With 90 sec to go, I ended up sprinting at 10mph. With one min to go I was at 10.5 - an all out dead sprint. If I paced myself better, I shouldn't have had that left at the end. The only thing that threw me was the 1% grade. My last tri was flat or 0% grade, so I assumed that this one would be the same. I didn't do any training at all with a 1% grade...It doesn't seem like much, but running 1% grade hard for 20 mins. I think it was a huge mental blow to me and I definietly felt it in the ankles. Happy that I didn't back down on any speeds, but maybe that's because I started out so slow to begin with.

Increase pace earlier - Its only 20 mins.
Train on treadmill with correct incline.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching. The hot shower afterwards felt sooooooooo good. Drank some endurox recovery drink

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run. Its my new challenge. I'm going to get better in the run if it kills me.

Event comments:

1st tri of 2005, 2nd overall!!!! Actually, 1st real tri isn't till March :)

I guess I expected to do better than my 1st race in all areas. Did better in the swim (if you convert the meters to yards), and did better on the bike. The run sucked ass though.

Its still a great experience to go through - it truly is a sprint though since the times are so short. I've been working on endurance for so long that I believe I need to rethink some of my training sessions to start building speed and power. I come out of each event thinking that I could go longer at about the same pace, but I'm having problems getting faster.

My wife also did this tri. I am soooo proud of her! She exceeded her swim expectation, did good on the bike, and struggled on the run. She admits she hates running.

Last updated: 2005-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 650 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 2/16
Performance: Good
Felt strong during the swim. Was shooting for 700m and came up a little short. Felt good though
Suit: Desoto Tri shorts
Course: Indoor pool - 25m length
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:20:00 | 9.87 miles | 29.61 mile/hr
Overall: 5/16
Wind:
Course: Stationary bike.
Road:   Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.33 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 7/16
Performance: Bad
Course: On treadmill - 1% grade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-02-13 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Y-Tri Indoor Tri #3
Bring on MAP Tri!!!!!

Edited by jkbostic 2005-02-13 4:26 PM

2005-02-13 4:23 PM
in reply to: #116528

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Y-Tri Indoor Tri #3
Holy crap Jeff!!  29 mph on the bike!!!  Your run time looked good.   Glad you enjoyed your race!!    Congrats to your wife too!! 
2005-02-13 4:44 PM

, Alabama

Awesome race.  This is the second RR I read today about an indoor-equipment tri (never heard of it before).  that's gotta be hard.  Your swim was incredible and the bike must've broke the machine!  I don't think I could do 8:35 on the run after a 29MPH bike!  Great job!  Hope your wife submits a RR as well.

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2005-02-13 4:46 PM
2005-02-13 5:25 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
maybe its the lifetime bikes i had heard about re: pace. someone told me that the higher the resistance, the faster it marks the miles. well, i was on a precor today and cranked the resistance to 12 or more, and it didn't seem to make a difference. oh well. glad you had a good race. awesome placement! tell your wife that , up until the end of last year, i too hated running with a passion. now, i've grown to actually enjoy it and look forward to it. i'd still rather swim, but running can be fun too!
2005-02-13 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Glad you FINALLY got the chance to race, JEFF!!  Great job!! Can't complain about 4/25.  Woo Hoo!!

I sometimes have problems getting out of the gates fast on the run, too.  Plus, I can sooo relate to the hyperventilating feeling...not sure why it happens. 

Oh well.  I can't wait to see the times you will put on the board when the real season starts !!

2005-02-13 10:14 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice race!    you did great!  2nd is awesome!

2005-02-14 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Jeff, great race! The bike time was super. I can't wait to see your report on MAP!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y-Tri Indoor Tri #3 Rss Feed