Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m 15s
Overall Rank = 20/283
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:40AM. Coffee, and bagel w/ PB for breakfast. Pack car and on the road shortly after 4:30.
Event warmup:

Got to site. Did packet pickup, numbers on bike, bathroom, setup transition, Hammer Gel ~15min prior and then 0.3mi walk to water. Swam out ~100m to in-water swim start.
Swim
  • 28m 4s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

28:04 was time in water. No way I am that fast. Swim was definitely short. Actual results post 31:10 which includes removing wetsuit and ~0.3mi run to transition area.

With only two waves, there were ~140 men in my wave. I got hit quite a few times in the first 200-300...good practice for IM. After that I settled in to comfortably hard effort. Sighting was good...drafting was so-so, as I grabbed feet where I could but didn't necessarily follow when I thought they steered off course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing big. Maybe push opening 200 harder and try to draft a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

AHR: 170
MHR: 179

Actual results show 1:09 (tied for 3rd OA). I included the run up to the TA in this posting.

Ran barefoot as you could run on grass for 95% of the way. Already had suit, cap and goggles off when I got to T1. Dropped them and then put chapstick and Endurolytes in shorts pocket, sunglasses and helmet on and then run out with bike.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was to race on HR, but that went out the window quickly as I just couldn't manage to get the HR down even though I felt I was keeping the appropriate pace. Started nutrition around 15min. At ~mile 15 I was returning my ~1100 calorie bottle to my bottle cage when the top bolt came out. I only had one cage on the bike. The bottom screw remained tight enough for about the next 15-20mi, but I still held the bottle in hand when decending Reedy Point Bridge when heading South (rougher road). After that, I tried to tighten up the bottom bolt with my fingers on the fly, but no dice. I put the bottle in one of my tiny tri-top pockets and continued on my way.

Wind was tough in certain directions...I was holding 23mph in one direction but only 19 in the other. Good practice for IMFL.

HR was z3 pretty much the whole time. I was nervous to drop the HR strategy but felt I had to make a decision and forget about it. I went with RPE and it turned out well.

Got passed by a dozen or so riders. Not 100% sure if I should have gone harder, but I definitely felt very good on the bike and didn't feel my legs at all until about mile 45. Plus any harder would have had high z3 to low z4 heart rate.

Lower back was tight at the end. Being that I was aero for all but short accelerations out of corners this again was good practice for IMFL. May raise aerobars 1cm for FL. Will make decision after I do my IMFL race rehearsal workout in a cpl weeks.

My bike computer, and those of a few others on ST, had the course at ~55mi. Bike computer avg speed was ~20.9mph.

Got to see Laura on the bike 3x. She looked good but I did yell at her the first time as she was rocking her shoulders quite a bit:P

NUTRITION:
~900cal of Perpetuem/Gel concoction
~3 Endurolyte tabs

Do a better pre-race bike inspection. I checked aero bars and other bolts, but not the bottle cage. My bad!

Maybe I should train and race on power :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Racked bike. Sat down and wiped off feet, put on socks and then shoes. Put on knee strap. Put flash in shorts pocket. Grabbed number and left.

Slow. Need to hussle more.

Mount and L-bracket onto my the back of my seat rails so I can rack the bike without tilting it and dipping it under the low racks.

Carry flask and put it in the pocket while running.
Run
  • 1h 40m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Prob the best I felt on any tri run. Again, HR was a bit high, but doing that 20-miler with high HR a couple weeks back definitely gave me the confidence that I could "run hot" and be fine.

Ran the first ~3mi with one guy. We chatted a bit and he commented how it looked like I wasn't working that hard on the bike (we had passed each other a couple times near the end) and that I prob paced the bike better. We picked of three other runners, none of which were in my AG (two were in his). After mile 3 he faded a bit and I kept on going.

I kept a pretty steady pace to the turnaround and passed a couple more people, including one guy in my AG. At that point I picked up the effort slightly, just to try and keep the pace the same. I also know there were 2-3 guys in front of me that I could certainly catch. Saw Laura at my mile 8 and realized she was having a great race as she was ~23min back but the net was ~18min as she had a later wave (I didn't do any math on the bike).

Body just felt great and I kept pushing a solid z3 HR. I passed a guy around mile 9 and couldn't even see the next guy. I asked some voluteers at the aid stations where the next person was and no one exactly. I was gaining but ran out of course. It was great running back into the park...good crowd right before mile 12 and then got sprayed by two little girls with water cannons at mile ~12.2. Very cute. Final mile felt good and was fast.

Final tally...I believe I passed 6 ppl and 2 passed me.

NUTRITION:
Hit from gel flask @ 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 (~350cal)
1 Endurolyte @ 1, 5, 9
Water at every aid station

Nothing really. Maybe push harder sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked from finish to TA to pack up and drink Recoverite. Packed my stuff and grabbed camera from car, then snapped some pics of Laura around mile 12 and again in the finishing shoot.

Had some food and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only option I really see was to push the bike harder. Not sure how that would have effected the run.

Overall, I am very happy with this race. First, I was able to deal with the high HR and lost bottle cage screw, with minimal impact. Second, I know I have a faster half in me. Just felt so good out there. Third, I now have the confidence of believing I can go sub-11 in FL as oppose to just thinking I could.

AHR for whole race: 154

Event comments:

Race was great. Volunteers were great. Post race was not one of Pirahna best shows IMO. Food was ok at best (small hoagies, water, coke, diet coke, pretzel and fruit chew packs..that's it) and they were breaking down at around the 6hr mark (race time) and there was no soda/water left by the 7hr mark (possible that they still had water at finish line but not in food tent).

Last updated: 2008-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:04 | 1931 meters | 01m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 19/283
Performance: Average
AHR: 158 MHR: 165
Suit: ProMotion full suit
Course: Long rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:04 | 56 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 45/283
Performance: Average
AHR: 148 MHR: 164
Wind: Some
Course: Original course was modified due to bridge repair. Head west to start and did a small loop before passing transition around mile 8. Then east/south with an extra loop built in. 3 cone turns and 4 climbs on Reedy Point Bridge. Winds picked up as the day went on. Accuweather said 10-14mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:40:53 | 13.1 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 24/283
Performance: Good
Mile markers were off but overall distance seemed accurate. Mile 0-1 7:05 158; Mile 1-2 8:25 160; Mile 2-4 14:38 160; Mile 4-5 7:56 160; Mile 5-6.55 12:07 161; Mile 6.55-9.1 20:15 162; Mile 9.1-10.1 8:12 160; Mile 10.1-11.1 7:21 161; Mile 11.1-12.1 8:37 162; Mile 12.1-13.1 6:16 166; 1st half: 50:12 2nd half: 50:41
Course: OAB. Start off with 1mi loop in the state park, and then its about another mile to the trail that runs along the river. Mostly flat with one small up hill at you approach the turn-around, one medium size hill at mile 4 and 9 (up and down), and one big hill at mile 2 (down) and 11 (up).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-10 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon

2008-09-10 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1663774

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon

Congrats again, Tim!

Great experience on trusting the RPE to an extent.  You can definitely go sub-11 at IMFL and most certainly have a faster HIM in you as well.

2008-09-10 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
AWESOME RACE!!! see you can hold HR higher then you thought and yes you should start training with power as you might see even more gains

Can wait to see you rock the course in FL.
2008-09-10 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran

Congrats on a great race. You truly looked great out there and I was so surprised to see you in such good spirits on the run. Can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put up at FL. You have just improved in all three disciplines so much this year!

You should make He-Man your avatar for a while. 

2008-09-10 6:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2008-09-10 6:34 PM
2008-09-16 11:54 AM

Master
SMIBville
great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!