set up events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 52s
Overall Rank = 192/515
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/83
Pre-race routine:

drove down from Cary to Pinehurst. Drank a red bull (or 2 :O ) along the way plus some vitamin water. Stopped at the Bojangles to use the restroom and fgump pulled in beside me for the same purpose. Don't know if he had as many pick me ups as I did on the way down. :)
Event warmup:

1/2 mile bike ride from parking to the site. 2mile run to get the legs warmed up and stretch. tried to get beyond the numb stage. did I mention it was around 49-50 degrees at this time? bit brisk
Swim
  • 28m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

it is always interesting swimming an openwater swim course when you can't see the course. I don't mean my usual vision issues. At the start of the race, there was a thick fog on the lake which blocked the swimmers from seeing any of the buoys. Good thing I am in the 4th wave and a slow swimmer - plenty of people splashing in the water in front of me to follow. All is going well until I head for home. I spot the dancing orange balloon on the dock and site on it. Then I notice that I am left of the bouys on the way in. DAMN! So I turn 90 degrees to get to the bouy to swim around it. While covering this distance, I start counting turn bouys in my head. I can only remember one, but I'm on the third leg of the triangle. Oh man, have I cut the corner? I finally decide that if I have, then a bunch a people did too, because I swam in a group for more than the first half of the swim. Found out afterward that the first turn bouy deflated during the swim. Whew
What would you do differently?:

probably swim harder. At points I got out of the focus on form and did not reach at the top of the stroke, etc. That may help me get another minute or two. Overall, this is the fastest nonsalt water swim I've had. Almost 5 minutes faster than last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

they really need a " are you kidding me" choice on the drop down menus
this was really too long a transition. Got the suit off ok, but had balance/head rush issues after I got it off, so I had to stand there a few seconds and get the equilibrium back before I put the shoes on. Really it was only 14 seconds longer than last year, so I guess that was not too bad.
Avg hr: 152 interesting. must have been the run up the hill to the transition area

not get dizzy/light headed. any suggestions?
Bike
  • 1h 17m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

did just what I wanted - didn't fry the legs. This offseason I will get my bike legs stronger, but given the machine I have, this is what I need to do right now. Pushed harder the first half, then the legs started to bark, so I backed off the second half. Overall a smart ride for me. About 1.5 minutes slower than last year, which is fine.

have stronger bike legs :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

not much to improve here. got 5 of the 14 seconds from T1 back here as compared to last year. Clipped out instead of getting feet out due to Pinehurst being the home of sandspurs. Probably the smart move
Avg hr: 141

nothing
Run
  • 45m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was sub 44 minutes, so didn't get there, but a good run none the less. "Spun" up the hills and ran down them. Probably could have started the kick earlier. Will have to remember that for next year. was so worried that I would lock up if I pushed any harder, but I probably had a little more in me looking at the heart rate and the non throw up factor. Would have really liked a port a potty at transition, but by the end of the race it was a non issue. Didn't drink on the course and I guess the body absorbed the excess liquid. It took a while and my recovery drink before I went to the bathroom. Only 2 people passed me on the course. I think they were Marines using this as their PT for the day :) I was 14:20 faster this year than last. That is about the difference in the 2 races.

push just a little harder the last half of the race. start kick earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around transition to get recovery drink and find BT friends. stretched some. Rode 1/2 mile back to car.
Caught up with edde, Keyone, Love2tri, fgump and later jlhoward. Saw some friends from Goldsboro and Greenville as well. Did not find kapinto. Maybe at B2B.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike fitness. the swim was about as good as I get right now, as was the bike. but i think the bike can be improved and keep the run where it is.

Event comments:

recommend this race to everyone. great location and a great course.

Last updated: 2008-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/83
Overall: 222/515
Performance: Good
Avg hr: 138
Suit: 2xu full
Course: a sort of triangle with the long leg heading back to the beach. Not that you could see the course, but more on that later
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:01 | 24.85 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/83
Overall: 348/515
avg hr: 136
Wind: None
Course: short out and back to a one loop type course. Hilly. roller type hills. not as bad as Duke or Bandits, but definately not Wilmington or White Lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/83
Overall: 89/515
Avg Hr: 165
Course: one loop around the lake. Oh, I need to mention the hills. The first half of the run are lots of short, steep hills, almost like the last part of an old fashioned roller coaster. Then after about mile 3 it levels out for about 2 miles with two of these ugly hills in the last mile or so. Definately a leg shredder type of course. Oh, and no porta potties on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2008-10-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1718873

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
You had a great race too, your run split was especially awesome! It was super to meet you!
2008-10-05 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Great job!  Amazing what transitions and run pace can make for a difference in race time.  My swim was faster and our bikes were within a minute, yet you beat me by 14 minutes!
2008-10-05 6:36 PM

New user

Cary, NC
I'll trade you my bike leg for your run.

That's impressive -- inspires me to keep working on my run and swim.
2008-10-05 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Congratulations on a great race!  That was an awesome run split!
2008-10-06 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Great race!  My husband has equilibrium issues after long swims as well.  Water in the ears maybe or the swim cap was over the ears messing with your air pressure?   I wish I had your running legs Great job!

2008-10-06 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
That was a great race spot, especially that run.  Very speedy on a tough course.
2008-10-06 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte

Great race! You really crushed your goal time.  Congratulations!

I was very tempted to 'cut and paste' a lot of your race report -- espcially the part about T1! Think we can get them to add a 'are you kidding me' option.  lol! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed