General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question: Pool Etiquette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-02 8:23 PM

User image

Philadelphia, PA
Subject: Question: Pool Etiquette

Today I witnessed something that I was torn about; I think that I was more insulted than anything else. I was not part of either side but saw the whole thing happen.

I got to my pool early and was able to get my swim in early and  go up stairs to get a bike ride in before a crowd got there. There usually isn’t a crowd of any kind on an early Sunday morning.

The swim club that I belong to has a great reputation for training and competiveness as well as producing an Olympic medalist. A few older people got there early and secured their lane and began their workout. A 30-40ish aged crew started to come in (later) and started to ask the older people to move to another lane because “they were faster” A.K.A. better. They went lane to lane asking the same thing and no one moved. They asked the woman giving a swim lesson to move the people from their lanes and she refused.

When I got to the locker room the men asked me what I would have done. Apparently, there was a master’s swim practice this morning. However, the only advertised masters swim practices are Tuesday and Thursday s from 6-7:15am.

So, my question is what is the proper pool etiquette?

2008-11-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1782300

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Question: Pool Etiquette

Unless classes are posted in advance or lanes marked for slow-medium-fast lap swimming I'd say the people who didn't move were just fine. I would have done the same thing.

My old pool (at Indiana U., the same pool Mark Spitz trained in!) always had signs up marking the lanes for different speeds. That solved 99% of all problems. Newbies or folks without their glasses on learned quickly and moved. 

2008-11-02 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Sounds rude to me. Not that it really matters, but whenever I have to share a lane I try and pick someone that looks like they are capable of not hoging the whole lane, other than that I don't care how fast they are swimming.
2008-11-02 10:21 PM

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"

absolutely rude in my opinoin

2008-11-02 10:50 PM

Expert
Southeast

If I'm asked to share a lane -- no problem. I always say 'yes'.  If I were told to move by someone who thinks that his or her superior speed requires me to move; well, no thank you.  (I assume that lanes are not marked for faster/slower paces -- that's a totally different story, though even then politeness is called for.)

Apparently they respect you for asking your advice.  That's a tough situation, but I hope I would have the strength to tell them the truth.

2008-11-03 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
If the lanes weren't marked for speed they were just being showy A-holes.  Just pick an open lane and swim for God sakes.

2008-11-03 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1782615

User image

Elite
the desert

rsqdvr - 2008-11-02 11:07 PM .  Just pick an open lane and swim for God sakes.

x2

2008-11-03 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1782504

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
medic1962 - 2008-11-02 11:21 PM

absolutely rude in my opinoin

Agreed ^^^

If they wanted to share a lane then lets go, but asking people to move lanes, BUMP YOU!
2008-11-03 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
MA

I am not sure what the exact situation was, but I assume if they asked politely if the earlier folks would mind "moving over and share a lane with another ealier folks" so that they, the fast ones" could "share this one lane and not disturb each other's workout", I would be ok. 

But I have witnessed, at my Y, someone who REFUSED to circle swim insisting that a lane should have no more than 2 people and the late comer should wait his turn just like waiting for the treadmill, as the difference in swim pace would made her not able to get a good workout in.  She even yelled at the lifeguard when told about the policy of circle swim.  And she was nothing close to fast. 

2008-11-03 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
They asked the person taking a swimming lesson to move? That's just sad.
2008-11-03 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Rude and arrogant in my opinion.

2008-11-03 10:22 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I always try to pick a lane with someone that I think is close to the same speed.  I wouldn't have moved out of a lane for other people, but I would have been happy to share a lane.  If it was posted for master's swim or with swim speeds, that's a different story.  Doesn't sound like that's what was going on here, though, so I think it's rude.
2008-11-03 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Not their place to ask others to move. They should have just jumped in and shared.

***Exception (IMO) would be if there was one person to each lane swimming and they asked if the two solo people would mind sharing a lane so the friends/group could share a lane. Otherwise you have fast mixed with slow in all lanes and everyone is miserable.
2008-11-03 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
whelms48 - 2008-11-02 6:23 PM

Today I witnessed something that I was torn about; I think that I was more insulted than anything else. I was not part of either side but saw the whole thing happen.

I got to my pool early and was able to get my swim in early and  go up stairs to get a bike ride in before a crowd got there. There usually isn’t a crowd of any kind on an early Sunday morning.

The swim club that I belong to has a great reputation for training and competiveness as well as producing an Olympic medalist. A few older people got there early and secured their lane and began their workout. A 30-40ish aged crew started to come in (later) and started to ask the older people to move to another lane because “they were faster” A.K.A. better. They went lane to lane asking the same thing and no one moved. They asked the woman giving a swim lesson to move the people from their lanes and she refused.

When I got to the locker room the men asked me what I would have done. Apparently, there was a master’s swim practice this morning. However, the only advertised masters swim practices are Tuesday and Thursday s from 6-7:15am.

So, my question is what is the proper pool etiquette?

What we have here is more likely a failure to communicate than an act of rudeness. Well, it might be rudeness too.

First, you haven't made it completely clear if there was a group of older swimmers sharing a lane ("A few older people got there early and secured their lane and began their workout. "), or if they were each in their own lane ("They went lane to lane asking the same thing and no one moved."), or some combination of the two. Were the faster 30-40ish swimmers trying to get others to change lanes in order to secure several adjoining lanes for a group workout? Were these 30-40ish swimmers going to fill up each of their lanes with a maximum number of their people, or did they just want to swim one per lane? And the woman teaching the swimming lessons, is she an employee of the pool? Was she teaching the older swimmers, or another group?

If the situation was that these 30-40ish swimmers were trying to organize the optimal use of the pool lanes, and no one was willing to accommodate them, then apparently they failed to communicate their intention in the proper manner. I usually find that other swimmers (as opposed to water-walkers, water aerobics-types and other casual pool exercisers) are happy to oblige other swimmers whenever possible. After all, why not move over a couple lanes so another group can workout together? One lane is pretty much the same as another. If moving over and then sharing a lane was the issue, then why not share a lane with someone more your own speed then have a couple disgruntled 30-40ish masters-caliber swimmers in your lane blowing past you every few laps? And the woman teaching the swim lesson, if she did work there, missed a great opportunity to set it all straight by taking charge of the situation and perhaps explaining it better.

One would think that in a pool with a swim club that has a great reputation for training and competitiveness, that has even produced an Olympic medalist, that the swimmers would be more tolerant of the need to share lanes, and also more experienced in explaining how it benefits everyone in the pool. Your story, if I understand it correctly, is a pathetic statement on the state of sportsmanship at your club's pool. And, to add insult to injury, this is in Philadelphia? The City of Brotherly Love? Must be some suburb out of town.
2008-11-04 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

This is always hard.  If there was a sign posted to designate some lanes as being faster and others for slowers swimmers, then why didn't they have the right to confront?  If you are a slower swimmer in the fast lane and there are others who are there swim, what's wrong with asking them to move in order to enforce the rules that they are in violation of?

If there was not a sign with lane designations then it's more difficult.  If there is only one faster swimmer who wants to get in a lane with a slower swimmer, they don't have the right to expect the slower swimmer to move.  They can share the lane and if they each have their own side of the lane then there shouldn't be a problem.  Problem is if there are two fast swimmers wanting to get in that lane, the slower swimmer is going to get tampled in a circular lane pattern where the faster swimmers are always on that person's feet.  Wouldn't it make more sense at that point to organize swimmers by speed to make for a more orderly pool?

2008-11-04 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1787338

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I agree with everyone else.

A-hole.  I would never ask someone to move.  Share, yes, move, no.

No one had better ever ask me to move.  There WILL be words.....

2008-11-04 6:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ
Opinion offered from the slow lane: as a new swimmer, I am happy to accommodate more accomplished swimmers.  I would be relieved to be asked to group up with other guppies, rather than have some shark swimming at my heels.  Is it really such a bother to move over?  There are a limited number of lanes and everyone is just trying to get their workout done, right?  You grab your own lane when you get there early, but it doesn't mean it belongs to you for the day.  As others arrive, you group up and make room.  Sounds to me like the "slower" swimmers might have been a bit defensive.  Now, if I thought I could outswim the 30ish guys, well then...
2008-11-04 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1783065

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I am more than willing to share a lane BUT I ask the person if we can split the lane versus circle swim (no "rules" at our pool). I am a SLOW swimmer and don't want to impede anyone. One actually thanked me.
2008-11-04 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1787876

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I thought it was a general rule of thumb that you split a lane if there are two people.  Three or more, you go in a circle.
2008-11-04 6:43 PM

User image

Philadelphia, PA

To clear up a few questions:

No signs are posted for the speed of the swimmers. No posted Masters Swim Class on Sunday. Like I said there usually aren’t many people there on a Sunday morning.

The pool employee only gives swim lessons and she had two 10 year olds in the water. She has no other function with the pool.

It was 2 woman asking the older people to move so they could swim side by side. I assume so they could be closer to the group. (But if they have a coach, that person can walk the 5 feet and repeat their instructions.)

The older people had a lane by themselves and were asked to move to a lane and to share.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question: Pool Etiquette Rss Feed