Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What are the top 4 things you would change if you could in our country? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-11-06 10:11 AM

User image

Subject: What are the top 4 things you would change if you could in our country?

Mine would be as follows

1.       Term Limits no more than two, four year terms for our senators and congressmen

2.       Take away all of the healthcare benefits for congress and senators, let them get their coverage on their own, this should help them understand the health care system a little better

3.       Tort reform; if you bring a law suit and lose, you pay reasonable costs to the opposing side if you lose your case.  Have a more liberal definition of frivolous lawsuit.

4.       Government spending should be more transparent, earmarks should not be allowed or at least tagged to who put them in or requested them. Cut out all nongovernmental spending such as medical research, funding of non profits. I find myself asking why I should do any volunteer work or donate anything to a worthy cause if the government is going to take my money and do it for me.

What was the reason that our fore fathers revolted against the government and risked themselves and their family’s lives? Was it something to do with taxation and lack of freedoms?

2008-11-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1791836

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: What are the top 4 things you would change if you could in our country?

#3 totally and completely, idiots should not be rewarded.

2008-11-06 10:41 AM

User image

Subject: RE: What are the top 4 things you would change if you could in our country?
Any time a property is assessed for the purposes of taxing, the owner has the option of selling the property to the agency for the amount assessed within 30 days. In the form of real estate, the agency then has 30 days to purchase the property or reassess the property at a new rate. Should the agency reassess the property, the option then becomes available for the owner once again and the 30 day clock restarted. This will continue until either the property is bought by the agency or the owner agrees to the taxed assessment.

If the property is anything other than real estate (automobiles, pets, etc) the clock is a 7 day clock for all transactions.

No tax is due until agreement is made and no interest can be required until the standard time after the agreement.
2008-11-06 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1791957

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
DanielG - 2008-11-06 10:41 AM

Any time a property is assessed for the purposes of taxing, the owner has the option of selling the property to the agency for the amount assessed within 30 days. In the form of real estate, the agency then has 30 days to purchase the property or reassess the property at a new rate. Should the agency reassess the property, the option then becomes available for the owner once again and the 30 day clock restarted. This will continue until either the property is bought by the agency or the owner agrees to the taxed assessment.

If the property is anything other than real estate (automobiles, pets, etc) the clock is a 7 day clock for all transactions.

No tax is due until agreement is made and no interest can be required until the standard time after the agreement.

I love it. Brilliant.
2008-11-06 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

1.  Term limits similar to the President for the rest of our elected officials

2.  Pay scale for the elected officials to be set by the median salary of the people the represent.

3.  All bills can address one subject only.  No tag-a-longs.

4.  I'll need to think of this one.

2008-11-06 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

I really like some of the ones listed already.  Tort reform should include caps.

If I could totally start over, all the entitlement programs started back with Social Security would be done away with.  Keep everybody responsible for themselves and for their familes.  I think when properly motivated (Gov't not there to bail out) individuals take better care of themselves than the gov't does.

Also, legislation should have a built in expiration date.  Some of the legislation that is in place is so out of date it isn't funny.  Some stuff still applies which then it's fine to renew but some of this stuff makes no sense as times change.  Try to get rid of something that's already on the books though is next to impossible.  Despite the fact that the Bush tax cuts which I like and thought were good for the economy, the fact that they expire is healthy in which to have a continual vote on whether legislation like this makes sense.

Finally, judges should be held accoutable to ruling from the bench.  Their job is not to make law but to judge specific situations according to the law that Congress has set forth and the President has approved. 

2008-11-06 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
1. Line item veto for the President to kill a lot of the pork that gets added to bills.

2. Require sort of national ID for every person. It would be required to vote, get a job, apply to college and perhaps other purposes.

3. Make English the national language. Prohibit schools from teaching non-language classes in a language other than English.

4. Replace the current progressive tax system with some sort of flat tax, probably tied to spending.

And if I could bribe you for another...

5. Remove the barriers that make it so hard for alternative political parties to gain substantial footholds in our political system.

Edited by scoobysdad 2008-11-06 10:59 AM
2008-11-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1791957

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

DanielG - 2008-11-06 8:41 AM Any time a property is assessed for the purposes of taxing, the owner has the option of selling the property to the agency for the amount assessed within 30 days. In the form of real estate, the agency then has 30 days to purchase the property or reassess the property at a new rate. Should the agency reassess the property, the option then becomes available for the owner once again and the 30 day clock restarted. This will continue until either the property is bought by the agency or the owner agrees to the taxed assessment. If the property is anything other than real estate (automobiles, pets, etc) the clock is a 7 day clock for all transactions. No tax is due until agreement is made and no interest can be required until the standard time after the agreement.

Just curious as to the reason for this?  The one time I owned property, the assesment was alway lower than the property value...Is this not normally the case?

2008-11-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1792020

User image

runningwoof - 2008-11-06 11:58 AM

DanielG - 2008-11-06 8:41 AM Any time a property is assessed for the purposes of taxing, the owner has the option of selling the property to the agency for the amount assessed within 30 days. In the form of real estate, the agency then has 30 days to purchase the property or reassess the property at a new rate. Should the agency reassess the property, the option then becomes available for the owner once again and the 30 day clock restarted. This will continue until either the property is bought by the agency or the owner agrees to the taxed assessment. If the property is anything other than real estate (automobiles, pets, etc) the clock is a 7 day clock for all transactions. No tax is due until agreement is made and no interest can be required until the standard time after the agreement.

Just curious as to the reason for this? The one time I owned property, the assesment was alway lower than the property value...Is this not normally the case?

It used to be. Wait for the economy to go further down and you'll see it creeping up to assessed beyond, and in some cases well beyond, market value. My way it would at least be in the realm of reality rather than whatever the people who want the tax money make up to pay for their pet projects.
2008-11-06 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

1. Marriage is taken out of state hands and civil unions must be performed to get state/federal recognition.

2. Election reform.  (not sure how or what...but something different.  Someone brought up the idea of a non-party affiliated elections...not sure if that is possible, but would be interesting to investigate that more.)

3. Health Care / Social Security Reform...again don't know how or what...but something to make sure that everyone is given proper health care. 

4. Scout as Overlord!

2008-11-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1791998

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
KenD - 2008-11-06 11:52 AM

I really like this one.

Also, any chance we can do away with lobbyists?

2008-11-06 11:11 AM

User image

Okay, I was just going to leave it as that one but there are any number of them I'd love to see:

1) Any gun or firearm law that has an exemption for Law Enforcement, Military or both is hereby null and void. No new gun law may have any exception, exemption or any other clause allowing the government agents to own firearms the citizens of the country cannot. This includes the carrying of firearms. If a state requires citizens to have a concealed carry permit, any agent of the government must have the same permit and acquired it by the same rules governing the citizen's version.

That means any federal agent must have a permit or set of permits that are valid in every state he/she visits in order to carry the issued firearm. That would also mean that IL, WI, DC, and NJ police could not carry until they fixed the laws.

This also means that if the military can buy it, so can joe-on-the-street. If a felon cannot touch a firearm no matter what, that's fine but no exceptions for government personnel.

Firearm is defined as anything that does NOT expel an explosive charge. That eliminates all the stupid arguments about rocket launchers.

(there are more, that's just a quickie)
2008-11-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1792096

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Fatdoggy - 2008-11-06 11:11 AM
KenD - 2008-11-06 11:52 AM

I really like this one.

Also, any chance we can do away with lobbyists?

Good idea but how?  And while we're at it, get rid of the actual political parties themselves.  But again, how?

2008-11-06 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Denver

1.  No using names

2. No pointing

3.  Must drink with left hand

4.  Increase transparency.  If it isn't critical to the security of the country I should be able to see what the government is doing my name.

2008-11-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1792098

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

DanielG - 2008-11-06 12:11 PM Okay, I was just going to leave it as that one but there are any number of them I'd love to see: 1) Any gun or firearm law that has an exemption for Law Enforcement, Military or both is hereby null and void. No new gun law may have any exception, exemption or any other clause allowing the government agents to own firearms the citizens of the country cannot. This includes the carrying of firearms. If a state requires citizens to have a concealed carry permit, any agent of the government must have the same permit and acquired it by the same rules governing the citizen's version. That means any federal agent must have a permit or set of permits that are valid in every state he/she visits in order to carry the issued firearm. That would also mean that IL, WI, DC, and NJ police could not carry until they fixed the laws. This also means that if the military can buy it, so can joe-on-the-street. If a felon cannot touch a firearm no matter what, that's fine but no exceptions for government personnel. Firearm is defined as anything that does NOT expel an explosive charge. That eliminates all the stupid arguments about rocket launchers. (there are more, that's just a quickie)

Ok, this is a gun arguement that I've never seen.  Could I ask for some more detail on this?  So you're saying cops shouldn't be able to carry their weapons into public places (sport stadium, for instance) since people who have a conceal carry permit can't?

2008-11-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1792098

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

DanielG - 2008-11-06 9:11 AM Okay, I was just going to leave it as that one but there are any number of them I'd love to see: 1) Any gun or firearm law that has an exemption for Law Enforcement, Military or both is hereby null and void. No new gun law may have any exception, exemption or any other clause allowing the government agents to own firearms the citizens of the country cannot. This includes the carrying of firearms. If a state requires citizens to have a concealed carry permit, any agent of the government must have the same permit and acquired it by the same rules governing the citizen's version. That means any federal agent must have a permit or set of permits that are valid in every state he/she visits in order to carry the issued firearm. That would also mean that IL, WI, DC, and NJ police could not carry until they fixed the laws. This also means that if the military can buy it, so can joe-on-the-street. If a felon cannot touch a firearm no matter what, that's fine but no exceptions for government personnel. Firearm is defined as anything that does NOT expel an explosive charge. That eliminates all the stupid arguments about rocket launchers. (there are more, that's just a quickie)

I would allow this, if everyone that owned a gun had to go through the same training and psychological exam that the police and military must go through....That also means taking all the required entry exams.  ASVAB etc.  This would mean that most children would not be allowed to shoot guns of any kind without passing the same physical and mental tests.

2008-11-06 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

1. A tax system that is not used for political purposes but designed only to provide funding for public projects.

2. Let the market take care of services and programs not deemed a matter of national security interest.

3. Eliminate political pork.

4.  Allow 3rd (and 4th or 5th) parties into the political system (meaning – give them funding and debate privileges).

2008-11-06 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1792219

User image

runningwoof - 2008-11-06 12:33 PM

I would allow this, if everyone that owned a gun had to go through the same training and psychological exam that the police and military must go through....That also means taking all the required entry exams. ASVAB etc. This would mean that most children would not be allowed to shoot guns of any kind without passing the same physical and mental tests.

Outstanding! I agree 100% There are many police departments that require no training and even more that only have a 20 round shooting test as their sole test. We can use either of those.

Children can do a lot of things under adult supervision that they're not allowed to do on their own. You lose that one. Parent or guardian okays it and there's adult supervision at the range, they're good to go.
2008-11-06 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1792140

User image

madcap95 - 2008-11-06 12:20 PM

Ok, this is a gun arguement that I've never seen. Could I ask for some more detail on this? So you're saying cops shouldn't be able to carry their weapons into public places (sport stadium, for instance) since people who have a conceal carry permit can't?

Yup. But since the law forbidding it has an exemption for LEO/Military it would be eliminated anyway. I guess they'd have to pass a new law that had no exemptions for agents of the government in order to keep guns out, wouldn't they.
2008-11-06 11:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by AcesFull 2008-11-06 11:51 AM
2008-11-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1792227

Elite
San Jose, CA
DanielG - 2008-11-06 9:36 AM
runningwoof - 2008-11-06 12:33 PM I would allow this, if everyone that owned a gun had to go through the same training and psychological exam that the police and military must go through....That also means taking all the required entry exams. ASVAB etc. This would mean that most children would not be allowed to shoot guns of any kind without passing the same physical and mental tests.

Outstanding! I agree 100% There are many police departments that require no training and even more that only have a 20 round shooting test as their sole test. We can use either of those. Children can do a lot of things under adult supervision that they're not allowed to do on their own. You lose that one. Parent or guardian okays it and there's adult supervision at the range, they're good to go.

I said Police and Military...I will revise my statement to include the strictest Police and Military weopons training. 

2008-11-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1792234

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
AcesFull - 2008-11-06 11:38 AM

1) Some form of Universal Healthcare that provides low cost medical coverage to EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN.

2) Strict interpretation of the Second Amendment.   Eliminate all non-hunting guns and all guns that are not related to a "well-regulated militia."  Require permits for all firearms purchased for any reason. Make criminal penalties for carrying any handgun so onerous as to make it foolish to have a gun. 

I think that's enough for now.  Flame away!

How do you define low cost?  Do you mean each US citizen has to pay something for this insurance?  Do you mean the medical providers are reimbursed at established, reasonable rates?  Do you mean the taxes to fund this are set at a particular amount?

Just trying to understand where you're coming from...

If you mean each person pays an amount for this - I doubt a lot of low-income people will be able to afford it.  Many people already in need of this benefit don't have the resources now to provide it.

For your second comment - I think the recent Supreme Court ruling will determine 2nd Amedment issues for years to come.

2008-11-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1792341

runningwoof - 2008-11-06 1:02 PM

I said Police and Military...I will revise my statement to include the strictest Police and Military weopons training.

Nah, you had a better idea the first time. Remember, no matter what you decide you are also saying that the smallest town police department must also attend the training. If there aren't any vouchers or it's not free for citizens then the police department must pay for it itself.
2008-11-06 12:11 PM

AcesFull - 2008-11-06 12:38 PM

Strict interpretation of the Second Amendment. Eliminate all non-hunting guns and all guns that are not related to a "well-regulated militia."

So, now that you've eliminated all guns it's easy to say other stuff about them. I like the strict interpretation that exists. It's an individual right and as for type of firearm, if the military/police can have them so should the citizens.

Misuse them and I'm all for life sentences, etc.
2008-11-06 12:12 PM

Davenport, IA
AcesFull - 2008-11-06 11:38 AM

1) Some form of Universal Healthcare that provides low cost medical coverage to EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN.

2) Strict interpretation of the Second Amendment.   Eliminate all non-hunting guns and all guns that are not related to a "well-regulated militia."  Require permits for all firearms purchased for any reason. Make criminal penalties for carrying any handgun so onerous as to make it foolish to have a gun. 

I think that's enough for now.  Flame away!

What guns would you be eliminating if you allowed hunting firearms?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What are the top 4 things you would change if you could in our country? Rss Feed  

of 4