Houston Marathon Committee
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 3s
Overall Rank = 195/5396
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/404
Pre-race routine:

First, a little background. Up until about a year ago, I always thought that running a marathon was a bigger challenge than I cared to face or could even accomplish; the task just seemed too daunting. The majority of my running career was done in high school and comprised mainly of 5k cross country races. I remember thinking back then that the marathon distance seemed completely surreal and well beyond my means. Many years later I decided to get back in shape by running and stuck with the 5k distance for any races I entered and eventually found my way to triathlons. Even after a half-iron distance race in 2007, I still regarded the marathon as an endurance feat that was a bit too much for me. It finally took a good friend running his first marathon last year to make me realize that this distance might be attainable. I decided in March of 2008 that this would be my next big goal in life and promptly signed up for the Houston marathon in April. Fast forward to August and I had not done much training and had a "woke up pregnant" moment when I remembered that I had signed up for the run leg of a half-iron distance relay for Longhorn 70.3. I started training more diligently but it was too little too late for the Longhorn run and I wasn't really thrilled with the results. Looking back, I'm really glad I had this relay in my schedule or I'm afraid I might have slacked off until it was too late for the marathon as well. However, I quickly resumed training for the mary right after the relay and stuck with it with a renewed sense of dedication. I initially stuck with a Hal Higdon taining plan that I found online, but started to modify it about 3-4 weeks into the 18 week program after doing more research. I found 3-4 plans that I liked and gathered a bit from each to come up with a schedule I was happy with. I steadily ramped up to 79 miles/week three weeks before the race and am proud to say that I did not skip a single workout. I was running five days a week and swimming one for the first 9-10 weeks of the program but switched to six days of running and one day of complete rest after that. I imagined running a 3:30 when I signed up but as the training progressed, I started having dreams of times in the 3:20's, 3:10's and then, reluctantly, started thinking about Boston qualifying (3:10:59 or quicker). At first it was truly just a dream goal, but I began obsessing on it during most of my training. I did a few training days later in the program that were designed to predict finishing times and, surprisingly, they were pointing towards the one thing I couldn't get out of my mind...Boston. I tried to keep this lofty goal to myself but I'm no good at not sharing so by the time the race came around, most of my family and friends who were interested were awair of this crazy goal I had talked myself into. The only thing left ot do was go out, have a good time and run my butt off.

The other thing I found out while training for this race is that it truly is about the journey and not just the destination. For those of you who have dedicated a significant amount of time towards a race, you know what I'm taking about and for those who haven't, I highly suggest singing up...it's an awesome thing.

RACE DAY:
Didn't sleep very well...tossed and turned all night. I probably got about 3-4 hours of sleep total. Got up at 3:45 (alarm was set for 4:00), took a shower and had a banana and bowl of oatmeal. Had my typical race morning pit stops (three times in 45 minutes...I was like a pet goose) which I'm pretty sure are a direct results of nerves. Got dressed and headed out the door around 5:10. Got to the race site around 6:00, parked and met friends inside. We stayed indoors until around 6:35ish and then started the walk to the starting line. I found the 3:10 pace group and got as near as I could. At this point, my lower back was starting to get a little stiff as we had been on our feet for a while. Waited as they started the wheelchair group and went through the elite introductions, but surprisingly, I was fairly calm in the last few minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Nothing more than the walk to the starting line.
Run
  • 3h 09m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The race as a whole was a bit odd as I'm used to racing much shorter distances (mainly 5K) and run those at a pace that makes me focus to the point where I don't notice much going on around me. This race was entirely different as I was more aware of my surroundings. I stuck with the 3:10 pace group which allowed me to turn off the brain and just run.
I stuck with my plan to take a powergel every 40 minutes and drink at a consistent pace. I used my handheld water bottle and refilled it at every other water station. I originally planned on taking two Endurolytes every hour but ended up taking quite a few extra around the 14-18 mile timeframe as my hamstrings were feeling like they wanted to cramp.
The crowd support was awesome and I remember smiling from ear to ear several times as I took in all of the sights and sounds. The pacers took us out a bit faster than the 7:15's needed to run 3:10 but I just stayed tucked in to the group and trusted their experience. Turns out it was the right thing to do as I think they did a FANTASTIC job running a bit harder at times and a bit slower at others. We had quite a group going for most of the race and this was confirmed many times over by hearing spectators note the size of the pack. This all changed around mile 20 when the pacers picked up the pace to take advantage of the flat roads before we hit the final few miles with the slight rollers (thay were mountains in Houston terms). I stayed right on the shoulder of the lead pacer and noticed that there were suddenly a lot less people around. Around mile 24-25 I noticed our pace was slowing and I didn't want to cut it too close to the wire after this much work so I tried to press on with everything I had and finish strong. My hamstrings had been bothering me since mile 14 or so (way too early!) and I was really stressing about them locking up on me in the final few miles. Luckily, they held together long enough for me to bring it home just under the 3:10 mark. There isn't anything much sweeter than the feeling of accomplishment after establishing a goal, putting in the hard work and then accomplishing exactly what you set out to do. It was pretty darn rewarding.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...absolutely nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled into the GRB for the medal, finisher's shirt and some grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think if I did some more hill training, it would make me stronger in the final few miles. Also, I think I still need some fine tuning on my fueling strategy. I think more water earlier on would have helped as well.

Event comments:

I couldn't imagine a better experience for a first marathon. It was simply awesome.

Last updated: 2008-10-23 12:00 AM
Running
03:09:03 | 26.2 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/404
Overall: 195/5396
Performance: Good
m1 - 7:24, 153; m2 - 6:55, 162; m3 - 7:06, 159; m4 - 7:10, 157; m5 - 7:11, 160; m6 - 7:04, 161; m7 - 7:08, 162; m8 - 7:05, 162; m9 - 7:06, 161; m10 - 7:05, 159; m11 - 7:09, 156; m12 - 7:17, 160; m13 - 7:16, 157; m14 - 7:10, 158; m15 - 7:18, 157; m16 - 7:12, 158; m17 - 6:53, 159; m18 - 7:07, 160; m19 - 6:59, 160; m20 - 7:01, 161; m21 - 7:10, 160; m22 - 7:11, 159; m23 - 7:15, 161; m24 - 7:21, 160; m25 - 7:27, 161; m26 - 7:05, 165; m27 (.45 according to Garmin) - 2:47 (6:10 pace), 169
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-01-20 8:29 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Houston Marathon

2009-01-21 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1919274

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
That's an awesome time for your first marathon..Congrats on your day!
2009-01-22 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1919274

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
Great job on your race.

Setting and hitting a goal is VERY rewarding.

Welcome to the BQ club.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Marathon Rss Feed