Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 6h 38m
  • 31.07 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

“I been traveling on this road too long
Just tryin’ to find my way back home” –TI

You know it’s been a long day when rapper T.I’s lyrics start speaking to you. From mile 20-25 I put this on repeat, trying to find my way back home. The thing was, I had NOT been traveling on the road (trail) for too long, it was perfect, in every way it should be. I truly enjoyed every second. The pain, the problems, the distance. Everything was as it should be. It was not, and should not be easy. It should not go perfectly. It didn’t, but it a way, it did.

I awoke at 4:00AM. I had napped twice the day before the race and was still able to fall asleep at a decent hour the day before. The week leading up was not an ideal week, in fact it was one of the most stressful I had had in a while. But I liked that, gave me a chance to not overthink this race. I try to do that anyway, not stress/ sweat the small stuff. The things I cannot change. I had skipped PF Changs marathon a month earlier due to some mild ITBS and had been pretty pro-active about nipping this in the bud. I determined at the time I would rather give the 50K a go than run Chang’s. I am glad I made this decision but as injuries always do, they give you way too much to think about. I was glad to not even get the chance to let the “what ifs cross my mind” that week. I had an extended taper and had not run long in some time but had kept up my intensity in workouts and hoped this would carry me through. I didn’t plan for this race at all, this would come to haunt me, especially nutritionally. I kind of pride myself on having a “stomach of steel” and made some pretty bad errors on Friday. Still in celebratory mode from a very successful Thesis Proposal meeting on Thursday I ended up eating some of the things I had bought for post-race. I had bought some Doritos to bring to the race site as I always reward myself after a race with something I NEVER have in the house. I found myself eating HANDFULLS of them Friday night. Along with cheese pizza. DUMB. Plain stupid. And I knew it.

Race morning: After breakfast of plain oatmeal to get my stomach settled I put on my compression tights and a good amount of layers. It was in the 30’s that morning. COLD. Grabbed my stuff (Ultimate Direction pack full of my race fuel), gaiters, Montrails, and headed out. Made it to the site at about 6:15. Got my race packet and RAN back to the car, it was 34 degrees and pitch black. ICK. I saw Paulette, and rolled down the window for her, then Kerri, Tanya and Lisa. Told them all I would not be getting out of the car until my temperature read 40 degrees, even if that was after the race start! ☺ Finally I HTFU'd and got out of the car for the race meeting and sunrise. Then in a blink the race started. I think I was one of the last people to go as I was not behind the start line and we had to walk over there. Which was fine, knew I had a ways to go and taking my time at the start would not matter. Saw Josh with the camera and waved (see video!)

Ran behind Kerri and Tanya for a little bit and realized that if I tried to stay with them I would blow my first 2 mile pacing plan so I fell back. It was crucial for me to warm up properly or my ITB would start hurting immediately. That meant walking all ups and being VERY careful on the down. Sucks to go so slow at the start when everyone is cruising by, but again, long day ahead – in self preservation mode. So I do my thing and next thing I know I am on the rocky uphill. It was neat to run with one woman who would ZOOM past me, stop take pictures, and then take off again. It was a GORGEOUS sunrise and the scenery at Pemberton is truly breathtaking. On the uphill I ran as much as I could until the rocks became too unstable. This was a lot of my strategy. What I could not run on downhills (ITB is worse on downhills than up) I would have to make up by running ups. Luckily I found a woman named Peggy from Tucson that paced with me all the way to the first aid station. That time flew by. Next thing I knew we were a group of six all the way to the next aid station (mile 11) those miles just flew as I just watched the feet ahead of me. The man leading us was named Paul, he is a seasoned ultra runner. He was/ is running a marathon the day after the 50K and will travel the country to race every single weekend, typically 2 days in a row. I SWEAR I met him at the Flagstaff trail marathon 2 years ago. He had a fascinating running style, almost looked like he was powerwalking, but was running 10-11 minute miles. Thought I would have to figure out this form as he obviously never gets injured! We had a great group and I had a blast getting to know everyone, one guy from Chicago was telling me about Pike’s Peak ascent, and the Pikes Peak marathon the day after, another woman named Joyce from Tucson, and Peggy of course. When she would see me she would say “There’s my dirty girl” and then it was like “oops, I didn’t mean it that way!” But she called me that because of my gaiters! I had told her earlier in the race where my gaiters were from (www.dirtygirlgaiters.com - THANKS Paulette) and she just loved that!

I lost the group as I HAD to stop for a bathroom break, told you the pizza and Doritos would come to haunt me. That was bathroom break #1 of 2 on the trail. I snuck off behind a little water tower and ended up getting mud over an inch thick stuck in my shoes so then I had to stop and scrape that off since it was making me run funny. DAMN. But it was okay. I welcomed EVERY experience, annoying or not. I was sad to leave my group but was only 3 miles from seeing JOSH and my other friends. Once I got into camp it was wonderful to be greeted by Josh, Dave, Lisa, Kerri and Chris. Really felt the love. Hung around for a little bit. A volunteer refilled my water, I told her I felt like I was being lazy and she said “are you kidding, you are running a 50K and you think you are lazy for having someone refill your water?” I chatted for a second and then started walking with Josh while I ate some banana. I was nauseous again…damn Doritos! I will NEVER eat a Dorito again! He walked with me for a while and I looked at my watch and thought I better get going. So we parted ways. I took off running from there until the rocky uphill again. I tried running a lot of this again, but found it much lonelier this time. I was all alone, I couldn’t even see people in the distance. How odd. So the only games I could play were ‘try to catch someone!’ This helped. I really love this part of the course so it went by quickly again. But my stomach was really upset. It didn’t slow me down just caused the tiniest bit of worry. Not enough to sour my mood even in the least though. I was almost to 20 miles and this thrilled me. Then I thought ‘I wonder if I will hit a wall at 20 like you do in the marathon?’ I was feeling so good I thought ‘Nah…” and kept going.

The aid station was over 21 and I realized I REALLY needed some Vaseline for some lovely chafing I had going on in my girly bits region, I know, nice right? I LOVE those CWX tights but have never worn them on THAT long of a run. So I get there and ask for Vaseline, and get a whole glob, just as I am about to reach down my pants some guy runs after me with a paper towel. HA! “You might need this after you are done.” NICE. I think about 10 people saw my lube my privates that day, once at the trailhead with Body Glide and then again at the aide station. I love this sport!

Miles 21-25 were my slowest. The trail is just up and down. So I ran the ups and had to be so tentative on the downs that it was just painfully slow, not pain as in hurt. I didn’t hurt at all – which made me the happiest girl on Earth. But TIME slow. I was antsy to get to the next aid station since that meant HOME! But it just took so so long. This is the part of the trail where I just had to turn into reflection mode, the whole “wow, this is amazing, remember these moments” type of stuff. I remember distinctly coming up to a Pembeton Trail sign that said “7.88 miles” to the trailhead and I did tear up. I said outloud “that’s it?” That’s all I’ve got left? That can’t be! It was so exciting! I ran 100% to the next aid station, past my favorite part of the trail, the horse water hole, and I was feeling A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, it was then I started contemplating skipping the 26 mile aid station and cruising on home. But as I got closer I thought I might be making a huge mistake by doing that. I had enough water but I had not consumed calories/ sugar/ salt in the past hour. My hands were swollen (I was wearing my wedding rings on my pinky fingers and they fit fine) so I KNEW I needed aid. So I stopped. The older woman was so nice, she looked at my hands and suggested Coke, potatoes dipped in salt and some Heed. I did all that was suggested and also grabbed some Pretzels. I WAS HOME FREE!

I turned around to run off and was locked to the ground. My right leg was frozen, the knee would not bend. I must have stood still for too long. DAMNIT. I said outloud “No. No. NO! NO! NO!” I then balled my right hand into a fist and started beating into the hip socked and down my IT to get it warmed up. I then said, again outloud “Walk, get moving, just walk.” So I did, limping, hobbling. But the more I walked the more it warmed up. I kept slapping the side of my leg as I walked and picking up speed. Then I was running. It was terribly slow, probably 12 minute miles. But I was moving. And I was so close I could taste it. I caught Paul and he congratulated me, told me I looked good (HA!) And I caught maybe 2 other people toward the end. I guess 12 minute miles at the end is good enough! :p I was so damn happy.

So I am cruising along and at exactly 28.75 I realize I have a blister, oh well, I am so close I will deal with it later. I NEVER get blisters so this makes me HAPPY! ‘A real ultra running experience’ – I think to myself. I also think that I wish I had listened to Josh when he offered to Kinesio tape the balls of my feet this morning. Oops. Not more than half mile later a burning pain erupts at the bottom of my foot and a warm fluid fills the front of my shoe, up and over to my big toe. ‘Great, that sucker just popped.’ EVEN BETTER! It hurt pretty bad for maybe 30 seconds and I remember reading something online ‘Hello pain, come run with me.’ That was definitely the name of the game for the last 4 miles. But honestly, it was all welcome, and all good, and I liked it.

When I crossed the road and could see cars in the distance I thought to myself again ‘remember this’ I try to imprint things in my mind, feelings, emotions, smells, scenery. But that is not to say I didn’t TRY to run faster to get it over with. There was a shirtless man ahead of me that helped immensely in me trying to catch him! ☺ But what was even better was when I crested a small hill I saw Josh in the distance and he saw me (bright pink shirts help) and he put his arms up, I did the same. I felt amazing. I came into the finish, thanked the wonderful volunteers, gave Josh a hug and kiss for the AMAZING amount of support he showed that day and then BEELINED it for the chocolate cake!

Pics here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Post race

Last updated: 2009-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
06:38:00 | 31.07 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-15 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: Pemberton 50K

2009-02-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1963092

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Pemberton 50K
Good race report. Way to keep your pace down in the begining. Congratulations.
2009-02-15 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Awesome!!  I do the same thing..try to imprint memories.  Next year...instead of two lonely girls there will be two girls having a PARTAY out there!  I can't wait to do the whole thing!
2009-02-15 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Nice work racing smart Jen, sounds like a beautiful place for a cool race. Congratulations on finishing a 50K!
2009-02-15 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Great Race! You handled everything it threw at you very well, congrats on your finish!
2009-02-15 5:44 PM

User image

Master

WOW! This is a helluva race report!!  I think a big lesson was learned about nutrition with this race     Being able to keep going after having your leg freeze up had to have been VERY tough Jen. 

You ROCK!!  31 miles!!!!    wow

2009-02-15 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
There's no other way to put it- you are a complete studette!! What a great race! You must be so happy!!! 
2009-02-15 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
You are my hero... seriously. So proud of you.
2009-02-15 7:42 PM

Pro
AZ
WOOOT! Way to rock it!!! You did AMAZING!!! Nasty ITB and all!!! 
2009-02-16 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
You are a Bada$$. School, work, ITB issues. Nothing stopped you.
2009-02-16 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

Wow, what a race report. I'm cracking up here.

Way to go, that's a nasty distance on a NASTAY trail. You crushed it! 

PS: Sorry I missed the privates-lubing show. Doh!

2009-02-16 10:13 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
You deserve every bit of that chocolate cake! What a battle! You did amazing out there overcoming all that was thrown at you. Congrats on a job well done girl!
2009-02-17 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Well done, Jen.  You ROCK!  I can't even imagine how difficult that combination of distance and terrain would be.
2009-02-20 3:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pemberton 50K Rss Feed