General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica South Beach Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami Beach, Florida
United States
MESP -Michael Epstein Sports Production, Inc. (www.mesp.com)
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 57s
Overall Rank = 283/885
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/26
Pre-race routine:

Saturday April 4th:

Woke-up around 7:45 am and my Buddy was working that day from 4:30 am to 12:30 pm.

Took my usual Saturday breakfast: Orange Juice, eggs, toasted bagels with cream cheese, slides of turkey and brie on top and my cup of coffee w/milk ...and my usual package of multi-viatmins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO Q-10.

Washed/lubed/tuned bikes...changed the wheels for the Race wheel set...and...prepared/packed my Race stuff.

At 1:00 pm...my Buddy arrived at home and we left to South Beach to pick-up our Race Packages and our timming chips...

This in the t-shirt and hat that we got:

Photobucket

Also they gave to us a yellow wristband to use during the Race and get acces to Transition Area.

My Buddy got the Bid# 1034 and blue cap and me the Bid# 1555 and my cap...guest what color???...My favorite color..."PINK"...Yikes!!!

Photobucket

Then we went to check the Expo...Transition Area and Finish Line...

Here after we got our Race Packages...at the Finish Line and Expo..

Photobucket

And this one...it's the traditional Sand Castle that every year is made for this ocassion...the guy was still working in:

Photobucket

In our way back home...we supposed to stop for a full lunch/dinner in our favorite Italian Restaurnat...but...my Buddy received an important call from work...and...we headed directly to home cuz...he had to go to the Plant to resolve a problem at work...Grrrrrrr!!! BTW...he got home around 10:30 pm that night...exhausted and he would race next day...

We got home at 5:00 pm...and he left to the Plant...and...I put my Bid#s in my helmet, bike and belt...then...prepared all my beverages and placed them at fridge/refrigerator...

Prepared early dinner for me: Angel Hair pasta with butter and parmesan cheese and leftover of flank steak...Yummmmy!!!

At 8:00 pm loaded my bike into the car...and...start to collect/prepare all my Buddy Race stuff cuz by this time I didn't know when he would be back home...

At 8:30 pm Ate a piece of Key Lime Pie with my usual Green Tea...and...went to bed...to watch some TV till 9:00 pm...turn off lights and went to try to sleep...waiting for my Buddy...till he called me around 10:00 pm to tell me that he was in his way back to home...got home around 10:30 pm and packed all his stuff...prepared his beverages and loaded his bike into the car...took a shower and went to bed...ZZZZzzzzzzz

Sunday April 5th:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...got dressed, put our timming chips in our left ankles and took breakfast...My Buddy took his usual orange juice, waffle with peanut butter and his coffee...for me, orange juice and my usual Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate/coffee)...and...we took our packages of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 100, Glucosamine and CO Q-10.

Took our bags and coolers and left from home at 5:00 am...arriving to the parking Lot in South Beach at 5:45 am.

Took our bikes, bags and coolers and walked two block from the Parking Lot to Transition Area...

At Transition Area...I went to my respectives rack area, placed my bike in the rack and started to set-up my stuff:

Photobucket

Placed a green towel in front of my bike...and over put my biking/running shoes, a bottle with frozen water, my hat and inside my belt with Bid# and little package with 2 Endurolytes...Helmet over my seat, AeroBottle with frozen water over the bracket on top of the AeroBar...and sunglassed over the handlebar...

Photobucket

Photobucket

My rack area was the last one next to the Bike and Run Exit...easy to find...but I knew that would be a long run from the Swim and Bike cuz the Entrance were in the opposed side...

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I finished to set-up all my stuff...I sat over my towel...relaxed for some minutes...closed eyes...did a mental visualization of the Race...and...then...I did drink Accelerade (Orange) and some water...

Put some Profile Design Lubricant inside my wet-suit and in my legs...and some body-glide in my right side of my neck...and...put my wet-suit till my hips...

At 6:45 am...the Organizers were calling everybody for the Pre-Race Meeting at the Beach...

Took my pink cap, goggles, wax ear-plugs, 2 Energy Gels and a bottle of water and headed to the Beach Area for the Pre-Race Meeting...

It was a gorgeous day...the temperatures were around 70oF...very breezy...but...we knew...they would rise to more than 80oF...BTW...that day we had record of hot temps for April...during the Race the temps reached the 90oF...Uffffff!!!!

The Organizers gave us the last instructions and then a famous singer...that I really don't know who was this girl...but...she sang the National Anthem...beautiful voice...that got inside me...my skin got like "chicken skin"...It really was awesome!!!

Event warmup:

At 7:00 am...We headed to the Swimming Area...and...I put the rest of my wet-suit...some arms and legs stretchings...put my wax ear-plugs, swimming cap and goggles and jumped into the water...the water temperature was nice...maybe in 75oF...there were waves and currents but not big deal for me...and got out just when the 1st Wave with the ProElites was almost to take off at 7:15 am just in time...after that the rest of the Waves every 5 minutes...there were 11 Waves and my Buddy was in the Wave# 7 and my Wave was the last one Female 40+...LOL...exactly at 8:05 am...a long wait...LOL
At 7:30 am...I took 1 Accel Gel (Strawberry-Kiwi) and 2 Endurolytes with water...and...waited till our Wave was called to get ready...in the mid time...chatting with my Buddy and some girl friends...
Swim
  • 20m
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here is the Swimming Course:

Photobucket

We were in a line out of the water and we had to ran from the Swimming Start Line and jumped into the water...
When the guy did shoot the gun...I ran as fast as possible and jumped into the water in the left side of the peloton, to avoid all the crowd that usually is in the middle.
It was a good beginning even we had to swim against the waves and cross currents coming from south...I got in the 1st orange bouy drafting behind a good swimmer with the first peloton of women, rounded/turned right not too close to the buoy...and from there these fastest swimmers took off and I was leading a 2nd group... to the 2nd and last one buoy was a good swimming even we were swimming agains the current...I kept a constante stroke...never stopped...and for my surprise...we reached/passed a lot of women from the wave# 10 (Females 35-39) and the last ones from the wave# 9 (Females 30-34) and...during this section I saw many lifeguards helping a lot of women...they were hanging around the boards...from the 3rd bouy was more easy, we had the waves with us...helped a lot...pushing us...like we were surfing...swimming more fast...but even the waves were pusing me I started to push more harder till I got almost out of the water....and run to the Transition Area...
When you swim in the ocean with this kind of condition you can't expect to do the same time that you usually do in a pool or a lake...I usually do in between 14 and 15 minutes...but...I know that I did it an average time according with the times of the rest of the women...

What would you do differently?:

Keep my rythm of trainings...I know I'm doing better and better every time that I race....
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Just out of water...running in a good pace...I started to remove the top of my wet-suit till me hip...goggles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and put them inside my cap...and...started to run more fast passing a lot of women...till the improvised showers that the organizers installed just before the entrance at Transitions Area...I felt like I was passing through a "Car Wash"...but nice...cuz rinsed my face from the salty water...from the Entrance to my rack area was a long run cuz my rack was the last one...but...I ran very fast...
When I got to my rack area...by my surprise, in the rack area where my Age Group and I had our bikes...there were a bunch of bikes...it was full...I knew that at least I was in the top 10...and that I did an good swimming and I passed a lot of women in the run...and I started to hurry to take advantage of that...
First put helmet...and...removed the rest of my wet-suit...my wet-suit got stucked with left ankle...but...I pulled it and put my biking shoes as fast as possible...took my bike and ran out of Transition Area till the mount area...jumped into my bike and took off...
Even the circunstances...I was 5th fastest in our Age Group...

Practice and Practice...
I know that I could do a better performance in transition cuz I'm usually one of the fastest in my Age Group...
Bike
  • 1h 01m 43s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is the Bike Course:

Photobucket

I did an excellent bike ride even all the circunstances that I had to deal in.
First...4 bridges to climb twice each one that means 8 climbs in total...2 big bridges and 2 middle size bridges, strong winds coming from SE (headwinds/crosswinds/tailwinds)...a lot of bike traffic...and the bad conditions of the roads...dodging bumps and potholes...
Even all the conditions I try to kept a good average and taking advantages when I was going down hill from the bridges...
Just leaving from Transition Area...we headed to west to climb the ramp to access to the famous MacArthur Causeway...and from there...to start climbing the 1st bridge...the 1st one was not too bad...middle size...got at the top fast and then went down bridge at more than 37 mph almost 40 mph...but...it was here when I noticed the strong crosswinds coming from south...and...I had to hold the handle bar very hard....then a flat section...it was here where I started to pass tons of people but at the same time dodging bumps and photoles...it was not easy but I handled very well...but is here in this section where you have the chance to enjoy the view of the famous Island where the celebrities or rich people have spectaculars Mansions... "Star Island" "Palm Island" and "Hibiscus Island"...on your right...like these ones:

Photobucket

Photobucket

and...on your left...the Port of Miami...where you can see all the Cruise Line Ships:

Photobucket

From here...we headed to climb the 2nd bridge and big one....just after the famous "Parrot Jungle"...woooooohooooooo!!! at this point I took 2 of my Gummy Bears...or better to say...2 Clif Shot Blocks...LOL...Got at the top fast again passing a lot of people...and...then again down bridge at more than 38 mph almost 40 mph...directly to an exit ramp turn right left and right and straight on 2nd Avenue for almost 2 or 3 miles till NE 36th St. where we had to turn right to the ramp to acces the Julian Causeway to go to the 3rd and 4th bridges to climb...Yahooooo!!! the 3rd one is a big one...when I got at the top...I said to me..."Enjoy the view...the Intercostal Ocean with spectacualrs boats coming and going..." and then again down bridge...again other flat section...and...at this point I decided to take an Accel Gel (Strawberry-Kiwi) with water...I knew that I was approching to the U-turn after the 4th bridge to go back to Transition Area...climbed the 4th bridge without problem...then we took an exit ramp to the U-turn and got acces to other ramp to get again to the Julian Causeway...and...go back to climb again the 4 bridges...Uffffff!!!
But I knew that I was only an half way back to TA and I started to crank more fast...but...also I knew that I would have headwinds/crosswinds in my way back Uffffff again!!!!
This is the kind of Bike Course that if you are not really very well prepared/trained can kill your legs for your run...but...I always say to me..."I love this kind of challenges" LOL
Going back to TA was a little tough with headwinds/crosswinds...but...I kept it till the desmount area...doing it like usual...like the Pro/Elites but keeping my shoes on...jumped off my bike and ran to the entrance of TA as fast as possible passing a lot of people that were walking with their bikes...

Train and train...I know that I need to train more in hills but here in Flat Florida...where??? only in bridges...LOL
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

It was a fast transsition like usual...I was the 2nd fastest in my AG...
Just inside TA...it was a long run till my rack area cuz I was in the last one...but...I was next to the Run Exit...LOL
Placed my bike in the rack and I noticed the rack was almost empty ...maybe...only 5 bikes...and...I said to me " You are doing great...you must be in the top 10 close to the top 5"...and...first changed fast shoes and at the same time removing helmet...took my hat and bottle of water...and...ran fast to the Run Exit...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 32m 33s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the Run Course:
http://www.southbeachtri.com/documents/REVISEDKSWISSRunCourse.pdf

Just out of TA...running in a good constante pace not too fast and not too slow...I took my belt with Bid# from my hat...put my hat...put my Bid#...and...took 2 Endurolytes with water...and tossed the rest over my head and neck...cuz...I knew the run will be very hot...BTW...that day we had record...the temps rised to 90oF...too hot for April...
The run was in a path along the beach and Ocean Dr. Boulevard...
I started to increase my speed passing a lot of people...and...I knew that my friend Daryl LaRoche and Amy Mangialetto were in front of me...and...I needed to push more harder...took water from the 1st water station...and...just when...I was aproching to the U-turn at the mile 1.5 I saw Daryl coming...and...I started to push more and more...at the mile 2 we had to turn left to the beach and run for almost 1 miles in a sand section...uffffff!!! it was not too bad...cuz...it was compacted sand...but still...there were some sections with soft sand...at this point finally I reached/passed Daryl and she said to me "Go get it...you are doing great" and I said to her "You too"...and
it was here were I started to feel the heat reflected from the sand...and...my face was getting hot and red...that when I got in the next water station where we had to do other u-turn in the mile 3...I took 2 cups of water and tossed over my head...and...took other 2 cups of water and drank enough...and...just when I got back to the path...I knew that I was very close to the Finish Line...maybe 0.75 mile...and...I started to increase my speed...passing a lot of people...and I sprinted in the point where we had again to head to the beach and run a short soft sand section till a small hill covered with a blue carpet...and...just after this hill...other soft sand section till the Finish Line section that was covered with a blue carpet...Thanks Godness...!!!!
It was a fast run course but a little tough...

Train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a Finisher Medal and other one got my timming chip from my left ankle and...I was waiting that somebody would gave to me a bottle of water...and...nothing...No Water...!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I was very thirsty...I started to look for water around and nothing...and...I asked to somebody that had a bottle in his hand...and...he pointed to a tent...at the tent...the volunteers were serving water in cups...no individual bottles....!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!! and I took 2 cups of water...and then again other 2 cups...LOL
There were a lot of people around that was very hard to find my Buddy...and...I decided to go to TA and started collectin/packing all my stuff...then...I went to my Buddy rack area...and...he was there doing the same...and...we decided to take our bikes and bags to the car...and...came back again to see if finally the Results were posted...by the time we were at the Parking Lot...the Organizers started with the Award Ceremony...
We went to the board where supposed the Results were posted...and...by our surprise...they posted some Un-Official Results...but...there were people in the list with all the times and others ones with not times...WTH????...
First it was very hard to find our names...cuz...they posted a Female Overall List and other Male Overall List...Grrrrrrrr!!!
Then when we finally found our names...not times...and...we really didn't know how we did it....Grrrrrrrrr!!! then my grilfriend Amy approched to me...she was pissed off...and...she told me that...they screwed-up with our Age Group Results...that...they almost awarded some girls with a total time of more than 2 hours...when we did it in Sub 2...LOL...and...a group of women in our AG protested...and...they had to stop that award...Grrrrrrr!!!!...By this point we were very pissed off...my Buddy was too tired cuz he worked till late the night before the Race...and...we decided to leave...but...
I hate to leave a Race without knowing my results....Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Finally the Results were posted online that day late in the evening in this site:

http://www.athleteslounge.com/results.php?year=2009

And I found out that I did it in:

Total Time: 1h57m57s

7th place of 26 women in my AG 45-49

42nd Feamle Overall of 267 women

283rd Overall of 885 (Age Groups) not included Celelbrities, ProElites, Physical Challenge, Relay Teams, Athena, Clyde, and Fat Tire...they have their own Overal Results...

I was Super-Happy with my Result cuz I raced this one last year and I did it in 2h03m16....that means....I improved my time in 5m19s...nice PR!!!!

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!!

The winner in my AG was the best women from all Florida...she has been 1st in the USAT National Rank in our AG...Linda Robb...she got 1st Feamle Overall and 18th Overall...with a time of 1h34m33s...Wuaoooooooooooo!!!!

My friend Amy Mangialetto got 3rd in our AG and other one that I know for name Lee Brennan 6th..the other ones...I really don't know them cuz are from other States...a woman from NJ got 2nd...other from Orlando got 4th and other one from CT 5th...and...me 7th...not bad!!!

My Buddy got 13th place of 27 men in his AG 55-59...Good Job Babu!!!

And here is the Finished Maedal that everybody received:

Photobucket

And Finally the Event posted the Pics:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=46384&BIB=1555...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This Race is a short Oly but a tough one...with many factors that can affect your performance:

1st.- waves/currents in the swim course...

2nd.- 4 bridges to climb...strong winds (headwinds/crosswinds) and bad conditions of the roads in the bike course...

3rd.- Running in sand sections in the Run course...and...the heat..

Event comments:

It's a nice Race for training...

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 805 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/26
Overall: 0/885
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless Wet-Suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:43 | 19 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/26
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:33 | 04 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/26
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-07 8:17 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Nautica South Beach Triathlon

2009-04-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2067688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Nautica South Beach Triathlon
awesome race, that swim sounds like tons of fun ;-D
2009-04-07 10:39 AM

User image

Way to go Velo!  Another super-solid Race!  What was this... your fourth or fifth Triathlon Race this year already!! 

This easily sounded like one of your toughest races this year with a lot of climbing on the bike and a tough run.  But as usual you had a great race and executed well.  Top 10 again WaaaaHHhhhOOooOOOoOO!!
2009-04-07 1:30 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Nice report and way to go! Looks like your training really paid off!
2009-04-07 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
awesome job and congrats on the PR!!!!!

you are a rockstar!!!!
2009-04-07 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Great job, did you rub elbows with any of the pro's or celebs?

2009-04-07 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Woohoo!! Velo!  Nice Job!!
2009-04-07 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Congrats Velo! Sorry it took so long for me to read this! You are amazing. I just love reading your RRs!! You have so many races under your belt already this year! It will be a great year for you
2009-04-11 9:17 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Leonora, I just got around to reading your RR too.  Wow!  What a great race report.  Love the pictures.  You are so incredibly fast!  That's a huge PR.  Wow, wow, wow!!  That did sound really annoying about the race results.  Way to go.  So impressive!!
2009-04-11 12:16 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Thanks Guys for all your words and support...
2009-04-11 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Great race and report.  I have only done two races and they have both been MESP.  Sorry to hear about the hiccups with the water and timing though.  Really enjoyed reading your report.

2009-04-11 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
I just saw this, and I did this one too.  It was my first tri ever, and everything you said about the waves, heat, potholes, etc.....sooooooo true!!  I had a blast though.

.......and congrats on a great race

Edited by M-shell 2009-04-11 2:49 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon Rss Feed