Set-up, Inc
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 5/150
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6AM, got up and dressed, stretched a little, made some coffee (of course), made some peanut butter sandwiches, loaded up the car and headed down to Lake Anna with Dan. :)
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for the first mile or so to make sure I was in the right gear at the start of the race. Wanted to go for a little run but there wasn't time, pulled on my wetsuit and headed to the water to swim around for a little bit. My ideal warm-up would have included swimming the course but there wasn't time, plus that water made my toes go numb. :)
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was a good bit of contact at the start of the race, I wasn't prepared for that, its the first time I have come across this. Went out a little hard to break away from the pack. Eased off after the first 200m or so and settled into my own breathing pattern. Was able to stay on my breathing pattern the whole way, even though the cold water was making it difficult for me to breath. Had a ton of contact with the red wave as I caught up with them around the first yellow buoy. Lots of contact all the way to the finish. Eased way up on the pace during that last stretch, as I wasn't sure how I was going to feel coming out of the swim and getting on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

I need to start lifting and focusing on my upper body. My arms get heavy in the suit about 500m into a swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Pretty disappointing T1 for me. I struggled a lot getting my wetsuit off, I don't even think I was unzipped by the time I got to my bike, then couldn't get my suit off my heals. Also, had another bike that was knocked over and leaning on my bike, so had a difficult time getting it off the rack. Long run from almost the back of transition to the bike mount.

Learn how to get out of the wetsuit faster, glad I was able to practice this early in the season.
Bike
  • 37m 12s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard on the course. I have been really working on the bike over the winter and am starting to feel like some of that is paying off. Was able to shift a lot smoother and read the course better. Legs were burning the entire time but really wanted to see what riding hard would do to my legs on the the run. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful course.

Keep training on the bike. Need to improve my cornering skills as I have to slow way down to take sharp turns. I hope to improve my overall handling skills as the year goes on. I'm still in awe of all triathletes that look so comfortable in aero, I look forward to getting there someday.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Long run back from the bike dismount and I almost totally wiped out when I couldn't un-clip my right foot right away. I fought to stay vertical. Had a little trouble racking my bike, as we were really packed on the rack and a guy who had come late to the race (that morning) totally condensed the space in our transition area. I couldn't stand in front of my space and had to reach around my bike to get to my stuff. It felt really chaotic at the time. Running out of transition I dropped the cup of water that I desperately needed but just kept running. Slapped hands with Slake and Tim as I ran out, good to see them on the course. :)

Make sure I have as clean of a transition area as possible. Don't drop the water.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew this was going to be rough. Heading out of transition and up the hill I heard, "Go Ally" and it was my club swimming coach from back in high school (his son now competes in triathlons), this totally lifted my spirits and just when I needed it. :) The run through the woods was a little unexpected. I wasn't prepared to off road it and jump over ditches but made the best of it. My legs felt heavy but I told myself to breathe and just keep going. Saw Dan on my way out as he was on his way back in and this really helped. Kept telling myself that the turn around was right ahead, however, it felt like forever before it eventually came. At the turn around the volunteers weren't ready with the water, so I missed it again, I really thought I was going to pass out but I told myself it would be ok, and I just kept running. I now started running cone to cone because I was too tired to think about how far away the finish was, I was so happy to run back through the woods that I was so annoyed with during the beginning of the run and that was only because I knew that the race finish wasn't too far away.

Drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and walked back and forth for awhile and ate Mike&Ikes. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was up until 1AM the night before for my sister's wedding. But I wouldn't have changed that for the world. :)

Event comments:

Though I woke up completely exhausted I'm glad that we went and did this race. I've also been training hard for the last few weeks and it was good to see that I can still push hard when I am tired. It was pretty mentally challenging day but I had a great time racing.

Last updated: 2009-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 750 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 1/150
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Full Sleeve
Course: U-shaped course. Started on one side of transition and ended on the other.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:12 | 12 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 22/150
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One loop with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 15/150
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling Hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-20 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint

2009-04-20 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2098703

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint
Great job out there - good practice for Columbia.

It is always nice to see your hard work pay off and you have clearly improved over your first winter.
2009-04-20 9:15 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Pretty impressive result for you!  Well done!!  That said, I am sad because I yelled "Go Ally" multiple times but was not mentioned above. 
Z
2009-04-20 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
2009-04-21 7:01 AM

Great job kicking everyone's a$$, as usual I agree, the swim start was a bit chaotic - I got a little trapped behind people for a bit.

2009-04-21 7:09 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Great race Ally!

I think I saw your coach cheering for you. That is cool!

2009-04-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2098740

User image

Veteran
Virginia
newleaf - 2009-04-20 10:15 PM Pretty impressive result for you!  Well done!!  That said, I am sad because I yelled "Go Ally" multiple times but was not mentioned above. 

Fixed it.
2009-04-21 3:48 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
good stuff.
just think of how much faster your T1 could have been if Dan didnt' knock your bike over. Or was it someone else's bike? EIther way, he TOTALLY messed with your day!
2009-04-21 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2100840

User image

Veteran
Virginia
3558 - 2009-04-21 4:48 PM good stuff. just think of how much faster your T1 could have been if Dan didnt' knock your bike over. Or was it someone else's bike? EIther way, he TOTALLY messed with your day!

Given that he loaded up the car by himself, supported me during all the craziness on Saturday and drove me home after the race, then spent more quality time with my family post race and drove me to pick up my car, I think I can let that one slide.
2009-04-22 12:05 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
5th OA!  Wow!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint Rss Feed