General Discussion Race Reports! » Winter Be Gone Duathlon (short course) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Winter Be Gone Duathlon (short course) - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oronoco, Minnesota
United States
WIN Multisports
44F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 89/115
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

This week my in-laws were visiting, so training and nutrition were not optimal. The last two nights we slept on the couch so the grandparents could have our room. Needless to say, I was not 100% there for this one. Excuses aside, when we got up this morning, it was cold, windy and raining. Great. I ate some oatmeal, drank coffee and watched the radar.
Event warmup:

None. We set up transition and went back to the car as it started pouring rain. That meant our stuff was properly soaked. Including my gloves. There was talk of delaying the race due to lightening, but I think we actually started close to the scheduled time. No warm-up at all, except for the short jog to the start line.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 2.25 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start I was chatting with Melissa and we ran the whole way together. She helped me a lot by keeping a steady pace the whole way. I wanted to go out steady on the first run and we did that. This run was the best part of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. It got a lot worse after this.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Decent T1. I had my hat and number off before I got to the bike. Helmet and shoes (very wet) went on easily and I was ready to go.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 51m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed two people right out of T1 and set out on a mission to pass as many people as possible. By this time it was raining and the wind started kicking up. Oh, boy. Going out on 100th was nasty. The hills on the course were even tougher today. After the turnaround, the wind/rain/cold needles were even worse. By that time, I just wanted to be done. On a positive note, the bike handled GREAT! That's the first time I've ridden it in the rain and not even once did I feel unstable on it. Even with gusty winds and wet roads. I think I rode as aggressively as possible, which is why I'm kind of disappointed with my pace.

I was looking forward to killing my bike time from last year. Instead, I just bruised it a bit. It's a tough course and today's conditions were really tough. No one passed me the whole bike leg, so that's positive.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

It's really hard to get off a bike with wet tights. The seat stuck to my butt and I almost dumped it over right at the dismount line. Nice. It's also pretty hard to change shoes with frozen fingers in wet gloves.
Run
  • 19m 47s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Let the suffering begin! I had no feeling in my feet except the squishing of water spurting out of my shoes with every step. I kept trotting along, except for one time when my body just froze up and wouldn't go any more. After the turn, I heard someone behind me. Judy W. was coming up and I knew she would catch me. She got me less than half a mile from the finish, but I just didn't have it in me to chase. Had to let her go. That was the only person who passed me on the run.

Nothing really. The second run of a du always sucks.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down. Ha! Never warmed up. Got some water and headed for the food. I didn't have a dry change of clothes, so I had to put on another layer over my wet stuff. Pleasant. We hung around for the awards, then slogged back to transition to get our bikes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual. I really need to start working on running speed. Also, I don't know if my head was really in the game. I was kind of hoping they would just call it off and we could go home.

Event comments:

What can I say about this race? It was one for the HTFU record books. Anything after this will seem like a stroll in the park. Bill and Wendy put on a great race and they did a fab job with not-so-fab conditions. And I LOVE the shirts. I'm wearing it tomorrow!

HR data-
Avg HR- 162
Max HR- 192 (that can't be real)

Last updated: 2008-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:33 | 02.25 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 107/115
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back over the highway.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:51:23 | 13 miles | 15.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 76/115
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back. Hills, lots of hills. And several turns. It was now full-on raining. After the turnaround, the rain was stinging as it drilled into my face.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:47 | 02 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 102/115
Performance: Below average
Course: Another out and back. This one is through town and all downhill after the turnaround.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Winter Be Gone Duathlon (short course)

2009-04-26 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2111635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: Winter Be Gone Duathlon (short course)

Pattie, good job in some very tough conditions!  I wasn't too disappointed I was volunteering rather than racing with the weather we had today.  Cold is bad, wet is bad, cold and wet together totally sucks!

2009-04-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2111982

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice job with terrible conditions!  Good for you for even leaving the house. 

2009-04-27 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
After racing in cold and windy, but not actively wet, on Saturday, I felt for y'all out there yesterday dealing with rain as well. Maybe we should contact our congressmen to pass some kind of MN statute that there can be no races before the second or third weekend in May - that way we won't be tempted to enter them.

Way to gut it out!
2009-04-27 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yippee for you for getting out there! I never even registered. :-P And sub 10's on the run--that's fast in my book!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winter Be Gone Duathlon (short course) Rss Feed