Runner's Soul
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 54s
Overall Rank = 20/82
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Transition area opened at 7. Pre-race meeting at 8:15. Oly started at 9. I was up at 5 for an early breakfast, got my stuff together, and then helped my wife get up and ready for an out-of-town trip today. I got there shortly after 7 to get a good spot and then wandered around chatting with lots of people.

There were 12 guys registered for the age group but it seems quite a few had to pull out.
Event warmup:

There is a long run from the pool out to the transition area in a parking lot and, since I forgot to leave my glasses with the bike, I ran out and back once to start warming up. Then I got in the pool for 200m, climbed out to loosen up for a couple of minutes, and it was time to get in and line up for the start.
Swim
  • 28m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wanted to draft but everyone started really fast. I was losing ground and got passed a few times. After the first lap everyone slowed up a little and a line formed with me in it but near the back. Pace was still pretty good but I was holding back a bit then to stay off the feet in front. I passed a couple people and moved up in the line. About half way through, I couldn't seem to get by one guy in a length before having to pull back in behind him, but from there I kept running into his feet. The pace seemed to get slower from there on. The rest of the swim was very frustrating as I tried in vain to pass in the middle but they kept slowing up at each end.
What would you do differently?:

I need to build some sprint power for passing.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Fairly long run from the pool out to the transition area parking lot. Steady and methodical, trying to make sure I got it all done right. I put socks on. It seemed to be warming up so I left the helmet liner and gloves, and added nothing extra over the tri top either. T1 & T2 are included in the bike time but I did hit my lap button leaving T1 and subtracted the swim for this time.

I really ought to practice this stuff.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 41s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.46 km/hr
Comments:

T1 & T2 are included in the bike time, and I forgot the lap button coming into T2, so this time is estimated.

It was still a bit cool in spite of the sunshine but for this region a miracle occurred and there was very little wind so it wasn't uncomfortable. I just settled into a steady solid effort and paid attention to shifting for the grades to keep the power even. Had a gel at about the half way point. Sipped water throughout but sparingly.

One of the guys who beat me by just a few minutes last year was a minute or two ahead going out of T2. I passed him before we left town and hoped I could get enough of a lead, because he caught me on the run last year.

I haven't been getting the long outdoor miles in yet this spring but seemed to be comfortable staying in the aerobars. For the last couple of years, I've been pushing harder towards the end of the ride, maybe too hard. Today the effort felt like enough already and I just pedaled steadily right through to T2.

It might have helped to have more long rides before the race this spring. This ride felt pretty good though, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 & T2 are included in the bike time so this time is estimated. Took a little more time than it should have since my hands were cold and I had trouble tying my shoe laces. I sat on the ground, and did a double knot too but they stayed tied. I saw one other guy stopping to retie his laces just out of T2.

Try the stretchy pre-tied laces and practice a bit.
Run
  • 53m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

It took a few minutes before my legs started working right. I didn't feel very strong on the run. Probably pushed a little hard on the bike, or just need more training. I didn't know how far back the guy I knew from last year was so I just kept the pace up as well as I could. I saw him a few hundred meters back from the turn-around. It was a bit of a cushion but I was still worried because I remembered how he ran me down last year. Going up the hill was grueling. I ran the whole hill though and I was still heaving for air when I got to the finish line. At that point I still wasn't sure if anyone else in our age group had been ahead or not.

Train more. It's getting better but someday I'd like to learn to run.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much for warm down. I ate a lot as I walked around chatting with people and saw a bunch of those I knew come in. Had to wait for the awards to find out for sure that I did actually get 1st in the AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For this race at least, it would help if I worked a little more on swimming sprint speed. If I had the speed at the start, I could have seeded myself a little faster too. Poor weather this spring has limited the long ride opportunities. My run still has lots of room for improvement as well.

Last updated: 2008-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 27/82
Performance: Below average
Av.HR 159 including T1, but that may just be from after I got out of the water.
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, 12 circling in each 50m lane, starting at 5 second intervals.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:41 | 40 kms | 35.46 km/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 16/82
Performance: Good
Av.HR 151, including T2
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat out and back, though there are a few overpasses and some slight grades on the route.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:44 | 10 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 43/82
Performance: Average
Av.HR 163
Course: Out and back route. Steep 300 ft elevation drop into the river valley just a little out of T2, climbing back up to finish. Another small climb over a bridge. The rest is level park pathways.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 9:00 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Splash, Pedal & Gasp
My first ever 1st place finish, at anything! :) :) :)

Edited by Micawber 2009-05-10 9:02 PM

2009-05-11 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2142159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Subject: RE: Splash, Pedal & Gasp

Way to go Dwayne!  I am so impressed with your progress this year. 

What a great race!

2009-05-12 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!

I know your swim wasnt what you wanted, but you put up a great time!  Especially for an early season race!!  You rocked that bike course! 

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

2009-05-12 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice race.  Nice weather. Invest the $10 and get the Yantz. You won't be disappointed. But how much can you improve on 1st in AG? Good luck the rest of the summer.
2009-05-12 9:29 AM

User image

Winnipeg

wow! some smoking hot speeds! congrats on the first place!

2009-05-15 4:39 PM

User image

Holy smokes - congrats! First place!! Great race, Dwayne.

2009-05-15 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Nice Job. Great time!

HARDWARE!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Pedal & Gasp Rss Feed