General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running get any easier? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-12 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: Does running get any easier?
I've just completed my first sprint triathlon.  750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. Out of 139 people I was 106th in both the swim and the bike, but dead last in the run.  When I was finished I was really happy with my run as I didn't need to stop but was bummed to find I was last.  Looking for some hope.......

2009-05-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2145803

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-12 11:00 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Does running get any easier?
Yes, it will get better if you keep running regularly, my first tri i could not even run the run, i was gassed (and hurt from running to much too soon) and my second Tri i was healthy and ran maybe 1/3 of the race due to cramps and such, if you keep at it it will get better. Good luck and keep moving forward!!!

2009-05-12 11:05 AM

Master
Oceanside, California
2009-05-12 11:09 AM

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I would ask a couple of questions about your first race?

Did you have fun? That's the main thing!
How did your training go? If you didn't do any brick (bike/run) workouts your run suffers.

As far as hope goes....YOU FINISHED A TRIATHLON!! That's awesome! It only gets better (and more addictive).

You should post in your logs and everyone can provide better feedback.

Good luck and keep up the work. It all pays off in the end.
2009-05-12 11:17 AM

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I actually had a blast!  I'm registered for 4 more this summer and just want to get better.  My biggest fear is being "that guy."  Last year I finished dead last in a half marathon and everyone was cheering for the fat guy. I didn't dig on that. So my main goal is to just avoid being "that guy."

2009-05-12 1:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Yeah. I hate being "that girl" too. But yes, running does get easier as long as you are consistent at getting good training in. It has taken me a couple of years, but now it is my favorite sport of the three.
2009-05-12 1:29 PM

Well, there's a saying, It never gets easier, you just get faster 

For beginner runners, yes it gets easier.  I used to HATE running because I was so bad at it.  I am still bad, just not as. 

One word:  Consistency
2009-05-12 7:23 PM

I think you did a super job!!! Hey you finished and did your best congrats! Oh, yes I hope they don't all pack up and leave at my first attempt......!
2009-05-12 7:31 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az

Running $uck the big one.  I have been "running" for years and it hurts.  My back, my feet, knees, hips and its just out right boring...  Nothing against runners, I ran college track and was actually pretty good, but that was 20 years ago...  Now it just hurts...  They (the RD), really need to do more Aqua-bike events, for us people who hate to run. .02

But, in order to run better you have to run more and correct.  Do not rush it or you will injury yourself.  Stick to a plan and you’ll get better.

Great job on your first Triathlon!!!

Edited by mm5093 2009-05-12 7:33 PM
2009-05-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2147105

Master
Riverside, IL
mm5093 - 2009-05-12 7:31 PM

Running $uck the big one.  I have been "running" for years and it hurts.  My back, my feet, knees, hips and its just out right boring...  Nothing against runners, I ran college track and was actually pretty good, but that was 20 years ago...  Now it just hurts...  They (the RD), really need to do more Aqua-bike events, for us people who hate to run. .02

But, in order to run better you have to run more and correct.  Do not rush it or you will injury yourself.  Stick to a plan and you’ll get better.

Great job on your first Triathlon!!!

Wow!!!  Everything you just wrote, could have been written by ME...except the part about running track in college.  I feel exactly the same as you about running...it's pure torture on my back, feet, knees, and hips.  The only reason I do it, obviously is because it's part of triathlon and it's the only activity that keeps my weight in check. 

2009-05-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2146306

Expert
Burnaby, BC

ChrisM - 2009-05-12 11:29 AM Well, there's a saying, It never gets easier, you just get faster 

x2

Be consistent with your training.  You'll get faster and there are always new people coming into the sport.

We need to hold another BT triathlon!  There are a bunch of people here that want to follow the fast bikers when they get passed.  They'll blow up on the run and you can kick their a$$!

2009-05-18 6:34 AM

I hope so....... I was out of town for 10 days without my bike. I had decided I would compete in a sprint tri this year. Im a big guy and I really have a hard time running. Not the cardio part, surprisingly thats not that big of an issue for me. Im 270lbs with two bad knees, lumbar fusion and flat feet. So just the mere fact of running is an issue for me.

So I was in San Antonio which is a bit of a weather shock coming from Wisconsin. I was able to get out running a few days. I really thought I would be better than I was. I honestly couldnt run, I couldnt get my mind around it and couldnt focus on pushing through the pain. This was a real bummer as I thought with the biking and the weight loss I would have been much stronger. I figured I could run a mile easy enough. In reality I struggled with a half mile.

I honestly felt a bit dejected.
2009-05-18 8:16 AM

Veteran

You finished!  That is the most important thing!

2009-05-18 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2157261

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Yes, it gets easier.  Run long, run slow.  Your slow will get faster. 

You may want to try to Run Walk Run

Edited by pga_mike 2009-05-18 9:54 AM
2009-05-18 9:59 AM

On your right
For me, the running has definately gotten easier.

When I started training for tri's in late February, it took me 48+ minutes to do 3 miles on the treadmil.  And when I was done, I was exhausted.

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles (farthest I've ever gone) in about 46 minutes, outside with hills.  When I was done, I felt like I could run my loop again and keep the same pace.  Also only 2 weeks ago I ran a 5K in just under 33 minutes, and while I was pretty much spent after that, I still felt good.

So your running can definately get better, and in a relatively short length of time if you put the effort in.  Run slowly, and run lots.  Being consistant really helps a lot.

That being said, I was 297 in January, and 255 now.  So I know how it is trying to like running being a heavyweight, as I'm just under 6' tall.

2009-05-18 10:11 AM

Master
Oceanside, California
I started at 250, and I am down to 235 (Also have 2 screws in my Right knee)

Since December, I am finally at the point where my cardio and/or muscles are the limiting factor.

Did a lot of "Walk 1/4 mile, run 1/4 mile (even if I felt that I could do more), repeat.

Until my joints and legs got used to it.

Just broke 4 miles without walking last Friday.

Stick with it, and don't be cheap on getting fitted for a good set of running shoes that match your needs.
2009-05-18 2:55 PM

Master
Pacific Northwest

I agree with what has been said already...it does get easier!  When I began this journey two years ago, I was able to run about a block, then walk for a long ways, run a block....and a mile would tire me out!  I ran 10 miles yesterday and wasn't even that sore from it.  At some point in the last year or so, I began to love running, and now really look forward to most of my runs.  I try to really listen to my body and not push it on days when I am overtired or stressed, and ask a little more of it on days when I am feeling strong.  Follow a plan-- increase slowly, do both interval training, hill training, and long, slow distances....and pretty soon, you'll find you are going farther with less effort. Good luck!

2009-05-18 8:33 PM

Well I got a long ways to go. Nothing like coming up with an idea to do a Cancer 150 ride on a whim, and then being talked into doing a tri. So I went from doing nothing to preparing for both in a few weeks time.

Ran a bit tonight, legs, back, muscles are hurting. Cardio is fine, I think when the legs and other joints begin to respond and grow/stretch some to the routine it will come around fairly fast.

Odd deal now, the muscle in front of my shin on my left is very tight now, heck I can hardly lift my front of my foot with keeping my heal on the floor. My wife thought it was very amusing how the muscles in front of my shins are very large - I have no idea why. Maybe it means I have strong toes
2009-05-18 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2159593

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Garceau - 2009-05-18 8:33 PM Well I got a long ways to go. Nothing like coming up with an idea to do a Cancer 150 ride on a whim, and then being talked into doing a tri. So I went from doing nothing to preparing for both in a few weeks time.

Ran a bit tonight, legs, back, muscles are hurting. Cardio is fine, I think when the legs and other joints begin to respond and grow/stretch some to the routine it will come around fairly fast.

Odd deal now, the muscle in front of my shin on my left is very tight now, heck I can hardly lift my front of my foot with keeping my heal on the floor. My wife thought it was very amusing how the muscles in front of my shins are very large - I have no idea why. Maybe it means I have strong toes
Beward the shin splints.  Get a foam roller & take your time building up mileage.
2009-05-19 12:45 PM

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
It's getting a little easier already.  It seems like it's mind over matter.  It's so hard to train the run when I find everything else so much more fun.  I did a 70km bike ride in light snow yesterday and didn't even notice it.  Can't wait for Sunday for my next triathlon. Hopefully there's no risk of hypothermia!

2009-05-22 3:53 PM

Veteran
Hey guys I got some advice for us bigger runners that worked for me. You might try it.

Asked the coach for my son's cross country team. She had me run a bit and asked some questions...

Knees hurt - yep
Feet hurt - yep
(more questions - yes EVERYTHING FREAKING HURTS LADY)

Her response - shorten up your stride, take baby steps, and work on stepping faster (i.e. faster cadence). Tried it this morning and cut 20 secs per mile off my time and it didn't hurt nearly as much.

Of course - your mileage may vary....
2009-05-22 4:03 PM

Master
Riverside, IL
x2!  I began doing the "smaller stride" thing a few months ago, and while some things will always hurt me when I run no matter what (I have a messed up lower back)...it's not nearly as painful as it used to be.  It really hasn't made me any faster, but less pain trumps faster run times for me ANY day.   I have also noticed that nagging, recurring injuries (especially with my left hip and feet) have been kept at bay ever since I adapted to taking smaller strides.   
2009-05-29 8:35 PM

Well just got back from a run. I really cannot run, to think I used to really enjoy it. 100lbs ago I did.

Anyways I did shorten my stride up considerably. I would say I put the leading foot heal strike about 5-6 inches in front of my toe. I could run longer without burn out. I ran further than I have since I started running. Not that far by any meals but further none the less.

I then walked and worked on stretchin my shins some when I walked. I then got in some interval type. I ran a few hundred yards with a long stride, I could feel it burning the muscles out fast. But figured its a good idea to get some lactic acid build up to let my body know it needs to improve on that area . I did this a few times on the way home.

Funny thing was on the way out I picked a spot to run to. Told myself I will not stop striding until that mail box. I re-adjusted my goal 3 times. Even when I did stop I think I had some more left in me, but heck I still had to get back.

Im going to go see my Dr this week and get referred to a foot/sports type doc, maybe I can get some advice or some orthodic insoles to help with the flat feet. I had flat feet my entire life, putting 100 extra lbs on them probably isnt helping. My ankles roll inwards slightly as well. Getting some correction into these areas can only help Im guessing.
2009-05-30 3:22 AM
in reply to: #2182427

On your right
Garceau - 2009-05-29 9:35 PM Well just got back from a run. I really cannot run, to think I used to really enjoy it. 100lbs ago I did.

Anyways I did shorten my stride up considerably. I would say I put the leading foot heal strike about 5-6 inches in front of my toe. I could run longer without burn out. I ran further than I have since I started running. Not that far by any meals but further none the less.

I then walked and worked on stretchin my shins some when I walked. I then got in some interval type. I ran a few hundred yards with a long stride, I could feel it burning the muscles out fast. But figured its a good idea to get some lactic acid build up to let my body know it needs to improve on that area . I did this a few times on the way home.

Funny thing was on the way out I picked a spot to run to. Told myself I will not stop striding until that mail box. I re-adjusted my goal 3 times. Even when I did stop I think I had some more left in me, but heck I still had to get back.

Im going to go see my Dr this week and get referred to a foot/sports type doc, maybe I can get some advice or some orthodic insoles to help with the flat feet. I had flat feet my entire life, putting 100 extra lbs on them probably isnt helping. My ankles roll inwards slightly as well. Getting some correction into these areas can only help Im guessing.

Don't be quite so ready to get orthotics yet.  You may be just fine with an appropriate pair of running shoes.  I'm sure you're not the only person with flat feet that's over their ideal weight, and wants to run.  So there is likely a decent selection of shoes that could give you the support you need without needing to spend a lot of $ on orthotics.  Heck, you may even be able to skip the Dr visit as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running get any easier? Rss Feed  

of 2