General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Canada
Lifesport Coaching
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 41m 43s
Overall Rank = 12/115
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

So me and Carolyn and the whole crew (Choppy, Jody and Vince) woke up at the delightful hour of 4 a.m. and ate our delicious and traditional breakfasts (Mine was PB/Jam + Whole wheat bread and Hot oatmeal). We ended up leaving the house at about 5:10 a.m. and it only took about 30 minutes to get to the race site.

Me and Carolyn had a little bit of a panic attack since we couldnt find the Shawnigan Community Center, but eventually found it, parked the car, grabbed all the gear and caught the 6 a.m. ferry to the race site!

At the race site, we found my bike in transition, set down all my gear, and I pumped up my tires and got my little spot ready! Hit the bathroom twice and got in the water about 5 minutes prior to the start!
Event warmup:

Nadda! This just proves yet again that I dont really need to warm up!
Swim
  • 25m 7s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started right at the front, after being scared $hitless by the cannon shot that they had FAILED to countdown to. It was a bit of a rough start and I got elbowed and kicked a few times. After about 300m I got away and bridged a gap between myself and the mob. There were two guys out front that I never caught but used to sight.

The sun was in everyone's face in the way out towards the first two buoys and on the way back it was super easy to sight the buoys. In spite of this, me and the two lead guys went for the wrong buoy on the way back, only to be headed off by the canoe which cost us about 30 second apiece I would say.

The rest of the swim was uneventful but I ended up coming out first in individual, since the two guys that beat me were relay-ers!
What would you do differently?:

Not follow people, and instead sight the buoys myself!
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I added a layer of tape to my heel for my blister, and threw on my cycling shoes!

NOT put my waterbottles in my rear cages while racked, obviously the bike wouldnt fit underneath the rack with the bottles in!
Bike
  • 2h 32m 45s
  • 88 kms
  • 34.57 km/hr
Comments:

After my slow transition, I was pumped to finally get out on the bike!

I was feeling super good right from the get-go! Me, this female pro, and other guy left transition together and held together for the first lap. I got tired of having to stay out of the girl's draft zone so I passed her near the end of the 22km loop, and the guy stayed with me.

About 2/3 of the way through the 2nd lap I lost my chain on a climb and lost the guy I had been with for the first lap. I pulled over and fixed it and it only took a few seconds. As a side note, I lost 4 water bottles in total in the whole race due to my rear bottle cages. ARghhhhhhhhh. Still managed excellent hydration + nutrition and never even felt thirsty!

Anyways the 3rd lap came and went, but I lost my chain again sometime in the lap. In total I was passed by 5 people on the bike (not counting those who passed me while I was in transition), and could not be MORE happy with my efforts. Even though my bike was great in the race, it succumbed to the common P2/P3C problem of the slipping saddle. My nose was angled down at my top tube by the beginning of the 3rd lap. It was RIDICULOUS. Thankfully the bolts were still pretty tight, so I forced the saddle angle back up.

Anyways, I am SO happy about my bike and can't believe I managed to hold almost 35km/h over an 88km course!

NOTHING...
Except maybe look into fixing this seat problem!
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Not a bad transition...
Except I was about to leave t2 and i had forgotten my race number! Garrrrr my brain is dummbbbbbbbb!

Not forget my race number!
Run
  • 1h 39m 48s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

So my plan from day 1 for this run was to cruise at a comfortable pace in order to allow my legs to be fully recovered for Montreal (Lifesaving nationals) and Commonwealths the week after. The day definitely went according to plan.

Basically Vince and I left T2 at the exact same time and he pulled ahead right away. I definitely held back a ton on this run and felt very comfortable with my pace. I was able to talk normally without wheezing or anything, and had no problem staying smooth and upbeat! Vince stayed within sight for the whole run, minus the last 2 km where he attacked and I was super stoked. I knew he was gunning for Nick and he got him at the end so i was super stoked on that.

I held my pace really comfortably and couldn't be happier with how it went. I felt like I could have done it twice at the end!

Nothing! Executed my plan perfectly!
Post race
Warm down:

Bananas, socializing, sitting around with Carolyn, bagels with peanut butter! Mmmmmmmm....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nationals + Commonwealths over the next 2 weeks!

Last updated: 2009-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:07 | 1900 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 1/115
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi RS Tri Suit
Course: 2 Loops of a 4 buoy course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19F / -7C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:32:45 | 88 kms | 34.57 km/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 17/115
Wind: None
Course: 4 x 22km Laps!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:48 | 21.1 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 20/115
Course: 14km in an out and back the last 7.1 km in another out and back!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-24 11:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon

2009-05-25 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2171371

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon
Congrats on a GREAT race Derek! Way to rock the swim! (like you would do anything but)
2009-05-25 2:03 PM

WOW great race... I saw the swimmers coming out after the 1/2 and amazing.  Glad you had a great race. What is your next Triathlon?
2009-05-25 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Congrats on a great race and an amazing swim!! Right at the front, just where you should be! Nice to see your hard work pay off in a good race! Keep it up!
2009-05-26 1:57 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great job out there!

2009-05-26 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race Derek, congrats on the swim, that's awesome stuff, you should have a sweet race at New Balance. Best of luck for the rest of the year.
Mike

2009-05-30 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC

Man I can't swim that fast in a boat! Inspirational RR, well done, really too bad about the chain, that is a real time killer. Glad you managed to get it fixed and back out on the road though. Well done on a strong race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed