General Discussion Race Reports! » JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, New York
United States
JP Morgan Chase
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My plan for the race was to run a good tempo race, not going super hard and burning out my legs for a few days. But, of course, its a race, so the competitive juices get flowing and the pace picks up more than perhaps expected.

About a dozen people from the office did this race. I left about 5:45 after a thunderstorm came through. Took the shuttle bus to RIT and walked to our table under the big tent. I found that I needed a couple of bobbystock breaks even though it was about 6:30 at night. C'est la vie.
Event warmup:

I went for maybe a 10 minute jog with some work folks. We went around the softball fields. This was the last time it wsa dry all night.

About 6:45 or 6:50, I made my last restroom break and then walked over to the starting area. The rain started. I mosied up to between the 7 and 8 minute per mile crew and stood in the line. It was 10 minutes until start time and the rain was getting harder. Screw that, I'm going over to one of the tents beside the road. So I stayed dry during all the intros of all the sponsors, the police chief, the mayor, blah blah blah. Oh, the National Anthem! Meanwhile, everyone is getting soaked. But I stayed dry. THe final instructions were given, so I moved back to the line.
Run
  • 28m 40s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I found that I seeded myself pretty well. I was able to run at a comfortable pace with most of the crowd. Yes, there were some walkers. Yes, it is jam packed during the first mile. But generally speaking, I was able to keep it nice and relatively easy the first mile. I was getting soaked in the heavy rain though.

I passed Mile 1 at 8:30 on my watch. I had started the timer when I crossed the start line. I was breathing easy and felt comfortable. About a mile and a half in, I felt my shoes fill up with water. They were wet and soaked the remainder of the race.

By my watch, the second mile was 8:15. I was picking up my pace. Still fairly comfortable for breathing, etc.

It was kinda fun looking at all the different paces, run motions. How heavily some footsteps are. I was trying to keep up my cadence and make quiet footstrikes. I felt smooth in my running motion. Somewhat efficient, even.

I had a song running through my mind. A kickbutt absolutely rocking song by Joe Bonamassa, Burning Hell. It has a cadence of 86 BPM. I was consistently clicking off that cadence. It seems a good one for me right now.

ABout the 2.5 mile mark, I yelled out, "Are we having fun yet!?!" Everyone was totally soaked. It was flat out pouring rain. Thundering too. I got a few chuckles and positive comments in return.

The 3rd mile found my pace continuing to increase. 8:05. I yelled out again, "Anyone have any flippers I can borrow?!?!" There was much standing water and puddles. A guy said he had a snorkle!

The last half mile was tough, I have to say. I did pick up my pace. I decided not to go crazy, but I was working pretty hard and glad to be done. My pace for the last half mile was 7:40.

Overall, I averaged an 8:11 pace for this race. My previous best 5K pace was 8:13. So I actually set a new PR during this race. Despite the heavy rain, soaked shoes, and significant crowds. I sure would not have guessed I'd do that setting out, but it worked out that way. I'm very pleased!
What would you do differently?:

When you set a PR pace during difficult conditions, you smile and say thank you.
Post race
Warm down:

The crowd is forced to walk several hundred yards before they can branch off and go to tents or whereever. By the time I finished that walk, I was fine. Found some free gatorade and a banana and woofed those down. Once back to the company table, I chatted with folks, had some more food and a few beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain and crowds.

Event comments:

Race was reasonably well organized. Actually, it was Yellow Jacket Racing who was hosting it. They did a pretty good job.

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:40 | 03.5 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Around the RIT campus. Some rolling hills. Nothing too steep to speak of.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-28 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge

2009-05-29 4:23 AM
in reply to: #2180011

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge

Congrats on the PR Rob!!! Makes the rain a little more tolerable!!!

2009-05-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2180011

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge

A PR in horrible conditions...You are a ROCKSTAR

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge Rss Feed