General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 12m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45 at the Ramada Inn. Got ready while eating a Greek yogurt and a banana, and sipping on a Gatorade. Drank a water while driving to the race and while hanging out in transition. I must say this was the best transition area I've ever set up in. It was HUGE with tons of space. No cramped feeling at all. I was second rack in from the bike exit, and got an end spot...lots of room to set up.
Event warmup:

Nothing more than some easy stokes with the wetsuit on to make sure there were no leaks and the goggles were good. Saw my friend Todd right before my wave went off, so I chatted a bit then I was off...
Swim
  • 35m 5s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

The absolute best part of my race on this day (all downhill from here). Today made me realize that all of my swim training has paid off that I could swim that pace and get out still feeling strong.
I didn't care much for the hill up to transition, but I got advice to walk this so my HR wouldn't spike, so I did.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It felt great, and that's all that matters to me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I was shocked this time was as fast as it was. I totally took my time and didn't rush a thing. I guess the saying "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast" really holds true. I was expecting a 3 minute plus T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, here's where I wish I could go back for a do over. I thought I was executing my plan of not over doing the bike like I did at Gulf Coast so as to save myself the torture of a run like that again. And physically I think I did. But nutritionally I screwed up big time.
So, I thought this bike course was the toughest I've ever done, but a nice course at the same time if that makes any sense. My gear changing sucked up until mile 25 at that long climb when my chain jumped the small ring and I almost fell over. I got off, put it back on, but noticed my rear derailleur just wasn't functioning properly. So I stayed out of that small rear ring the rest of the ride.
I did a lot of stretching the last few miles to get ready for my nemesis...the run. And felt really good coming into T2.
Also, I realized my friend, Todd, hadn't caught me on the bike, so I got a charge knowing that I was doing pretty good as he is a very good triathlete.

Looking back, here is where my nutrition plan failed me. So I'll concentrate on that prior to Augusta.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Again, took this slow to stay in control.
Run
  • 3h 22m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where this story gets very very ugly. Unlike Gulf Coast where I knew right away my legs were dead, I felt great coming out of T2. Looking at the running timer I saw 3:51:00 and immediately thought,"Sweet! I can hit my goal of going sub 6 hours if I just stay nice and steady."
Up until mile 3 I kept a nice 9 minute mile pace feeling great, then between mile 3 and 4 I got dizzy and tunnel vision. I stopped, bent over, and tried to compose myself. My friend Todd eventually caught me, asked what was wrong, and gave me a honey packet for my low sugar. I thanked him, immediately felt better, and was able to run slowly for the next couple miles, taking in water and oranges or cola at the aid stations.
Well, it must have been too little too late, because the puking began at mile six, and didn't let up until way later. Three times the marshall in the golf cart asked if I was OK and needed a ride in. But slowly the miles ticked down and I wanted to finish. Plus, I didn't feel like I was going to die. I was still smiling at the volunteers and talking to fellow racers. Every ten minutes I just needed to vomit everything out of my stomach.
Eventually the entrance to the park appeared, the finish line, and the end. The hardest part was cleaning up transition, changing clothes, packing the car and driving home. I felt progressively worse over the following hour until I was able to keep down a Chick-fil-A milkshake and feel better. It was a very nice medal they handed out, though.

Never underestimate the importance of a nutritional plan again. Even if my body feels great, the whole thing can come to a complete meltdown within a few minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Said miserable cleanup and departure from Macon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Physically my body felt fine afterward and even during the race.

Event comments:

Great volunteers and a tough but fair race venue.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:05 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo Hydrofull
Course: Big counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:16 | 56 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Big out and around some of Macon's finest scenic property.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:22:39 | 13.1 miles | 15m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %6%
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-02 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2009-06-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2188695

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

Hard run...I know your pain.  The good news is it was a food issue not a question of form.  Regroup and hit the next one hard.  Also, you had lots of racing this month.  Maybe a physical reaction?    Great job finishing and getting the reward at the end.

2009-06-02 5:13 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
That's crazy!!!  I'm glad you finished.  If you're not learning something from every race then you've mastered it and it's time to find a new sport   Way to stick it out under awful circumstances!!!
2009-06-02 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Hope you figure out nutrition issues...way to gut it out and finish!
2009-06-03 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Whoa..Tough day but you finished and it's epic.

You've been racing alot and that course is relentless, so any lapse in the nutritional dept. would have a compounded effect. You'll get it back at the next one.

Way to tough it out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed