General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 41s
Overall Rank = 116/878
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/97
Pre-race routine:

Later start to this one and not too far from home, so up at a normal hour. I had packed everything (even a cooler) the night before, so basically woke up, got things situated and headed out the door. Bagel with Peanut Butter and Honey, Infinite and water on the way to the race. I had picked up my packet the night before, so I headed straight to the racks and got a spot set up... they had PLENTY of racks, so no crowding at all!
Event warmup:

Nothing on the running or biking side of things. Got in the water and did some nice warm ups out and back. Watched the start for the Elite's... wondered why Torenzo would be here vs. Rev3???
Swim
  • 06m 26s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great start... I must have dolphin dove 10 + times... past the boat and took a quick look back and was a good 5 yds ahead of anyone else in my wave. then head down and start swimming. Downside of a popular race hit me right in the face about 1/2 way to the first bouy... LOTS of people from the wave infront of me!! I held tight to the inside line for the first bouy rounding and made quick progress to the next turn bouy and decided to swing wide to where the olympic course would connect in. Bad call, ended up rerouting back to the inside and easily lost 20-30 secs. on my time.
What would you do differently?:

Stay with my first plan and stay tight to the inside. (and don't forget to take my wedding band off before the race!!!!)
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Long run up behind and around quite a few walkers. I hadn't determined my 'clothing' approach for the bike leg, so I had arm warmers layed out. Tried to get those on for about 5 seconds, bagged that idea and headed out. Caught again in the masses... walking... so tried to move through and get to the front of the mount line.

Plan better for clothing...
Bike
  • 39m 52s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting the back of the pack (wave 19) makes this one interesting to say the least. I am certainly not a fast rider, but spent most of my time passing people in earlier waves. not at all frustrating and for the most part, safe, but still adds to the race.

Remember to hit "lap" leaving transition... lost the first .4 miles of the ride due to that. new technology... however, I really liked the increased clarity of hte 310's face. Much easier to read at a glance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Felt good about this one, was really careful going down the steep wet hill between the two transition areas.. in hind sight, watching others, probably not so necessary. had things set up appropriately under a trashbag, so nice and DRY!!! ;)

Forgot to put my racebelt on. I always leave it in my shoes and I grabbed it and thought, "Put that one on as you run out..." set it on the ground and that is where it stayed!
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off thinking sub 8/mile. (those that have followed me know that is a MASSIVE improvement over my "I hate running" days") and settled in to what I thought was a nice low 8 pace thinking negative split the last 1/2... after the turn, I kicked it in a bit, but still held back thinking final kick to finish. My form was good, my body didn't hurt, and I wasn't gasping for air! finished with an 8:01 pace and could have easily pushed harder earlier.

Push harder earlier!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. I was really good to go after a few minutes which tells me my training for IM is working, or it tells me I didn't push nearly hard enough. I will have a better understanding after Liberty 1/2 next weekend!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing much other than drive. This was a "C" race for me and more of a Training excersize than anything else. One of the few races where crowds play that much of an impact on my times. but overall, a great race that quite a few friends do, so fun was the goal.

Event comments:

I enjoy this race as I do it to be with Friends and use it primarily for a training day. Great coordination and thanks to all the volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:26 | 440 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/97
Overall: 37/878
Performance: Average
Been working with the Garmin 310xt for the past week, so had that hidden under the sleeve of my wetsuit and hit start heading into the water! FINALLY!!! Didn't track HR till I got out of the water and first reading was heading up to the timing mat... at 172???
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: "Trapezoid"... if that makes sense... out to the left of a boat then counter clockwise around the swans....
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:52 | 13 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/97
Overall: 99/878
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Loop course with small rolling hills. Generally in good shape other than a section or two.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 03 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/97
Overall: 309/878
Course: Out and back along the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-06-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2203199

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Great job!  Too bad we didn't have nicer weather!

2009-06-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2203322

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Awesome!  Sounds like you executed well and weren't slowed down by the conditions.  Way to go!

2009-06-08 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2203322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Birkierunner - 2009-06-08 4:50 PM

Great job!  Too bad we didn't have nicer weather!

No joke on the weather... made the first few miles of the bike a bit chilly, although I love that temp for running... just not when I am wet! 
2009-06-08 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2203333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
BikerGrrrl - 2009-06-08 4:56 PM

Awesome!  Sounds like you executed well and weren't slowed down by the conditions.  Way to go!

Thanks!  At some point, I need to take some time to meet all the MN folks on this board!!!   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed