Town of Pittsford
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 53s
Overall Rank = 86/313
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/56
Pre-race routine:

Begrudgingly up at 5:30ish. Dressed, decided to put contacts in at race site, and had a bowl of raisin bran and a cup of coffee. Filled up a travel mug of coffee, put bike on rack and left the house about 6 am. I had already loaded the car with the other stuff the night before.
Event warmup:

Got timing chip and body marked easily. I also found a good parking spot both for my car and my bike. I always set up my transition area close to the run enter/exit sign. It makes for a longer run to/from the bike exit, but it's easy for me to find otherwise and isn't so crowded in that area. Plus, it's a straight shot in either direction. I don't have to zigzag in and out of bike racks. I may compromise a little next year since I do have to run longer than I'd like in my bike shoes.

The only "warm-up" I took was a couple of those short out and backs in the pool warm-up area before the start. This allowed me to remind myself where the edge is for pushing-off when I turn. Since I don't do flip turns it's nice to know where to grab the wall.
Swim
  • 05m 53s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Female rank: 20/131

I got in and the water was freaking cold! It woke me right up! I did a couple quick out and backs in the warm-up pool to get my HR up. I started the swim inside the lane lines. I'd seen lots of swimmers starting on the outside and going under when they were told "Go". I'd never seen that before and didn't like it. Then I saw somebody a couple people in front of me start inside and realized it was personal preference, not a new rule, so that's how I started.

I was seeded in the 5:38 swim group rather than the 5' group, which I think was a blessing and I should remember to thank Rob for giving them the "wrong" time. I think I would have been passed too many times otherwise and that would have sucked. But this swim wasn't great because I had to pass I think 4 people. The first 2 were pretty easy, but the last 2 were more complicated because the pool got busy and there was somebody behind me wanting to pass me as I was trying to pass the person in front of me. It was quite a traffic jam. I was sucking air pretty hard when I finished, so I gave it my best effort.

One thing I won't do again is try to lift my butt out of the pool at the end. I will use the ladder! It would have been a great funniest home videos take of me trying to lift myself up. Let's just say it was not one of my most graceful moments!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe seed myself a little bit further up the line. A 5:15 pace might have worked out better so I wouldn't have had to worry about passing people. Definitely use the ladder from now on. My arms were toast and my breathing was too labored to get enough oompf to lift myself.
Plus, any amount of swim training time would be a good thing!
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I tried getting my shoes on while standing. That didn't work so I sat down. I didn't wear socks for the bike. I purposely tried to slow myself down in the transitions since I really was trying to NOT race! All I had to do was get my shoes on and clip my helmet on> I unracked my bike easily and trotted off for the mount line.

This is where things went to CRAP! Couldn't clip in to save my life. I usually start with the left foot then push off with my right. Sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get the right in, but, I usually can do it fairly quickly. First I missed the left, so then I tried the right first. That didn't work, so I got the pedals set to try again, still didn't work. I think I did the left/right dance a good 4 times. I was flustered and could not straighten out my brain. UGH!!! Major mental flop. But a good learning experience I guess.

Get my brain in order so I can clip in. I should practice clipping in while winded and wet and cold.

This didn't take time from my transition, though. All this extra time was added to my bike time. I figure I lost about 43 seconds to clip in.
Bike
  • 51m 48s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Female rank: 13/131
I won't rehash the clipping in fiasco.
I was winded from the start and the short part up Thornell Road at the very beginning of the ride always sucks for me. It doesn't look like much of an incline, but it's long and ever so gradual and my legs always struggle with it.

I passed quite a few people on this ride. And I didn't get passed by that many. Mostly men. I didn't count, but it wasn't like it sometimes is where they just keep coming. And I PASSED a few too! Maybe even more than a few. Strange.

But there was one girl after about 2 or 3 miles who passed me but never got too far ahead of me. She and I kept passing each other. Sometimes she'd pass me and get far enough ahead where I'd just think "Well, go on ahead then. I'm not racing anyway...." :) Then before I knew it I'd be on her tail and easily passing her. But she was a competitor. I'd think I'd lost her and then she'd be passing me again. It went like this the entire time!! I noticed that when I passed her on the hills it was most assuredly because I had clipless pedals and she didn't. I was able to pull the pedals with my hammies to get me up.

Anyway, at the turn off of Thornell road, going left to get back to transition, she didn't know the route very well and started to go straight with 2 cyclists not in the race. I passed her for good at that point. I was like "HA HA HA HA HA GOT YOU NOW!!!" :) Well, all I truly accomplished with that move was to make sure my legs were completely toasted for the run. I just totally wasted them on this 15 mile jaunt. Oh well, it was a great ride!

I need to TRAIN MORE!!! Plus, maybe it's not a good idea to go 'all balls' the last mile or two before the run.
And, I really should have taken a gel with me on the ride. At mile 10 or so I was needing something other than water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

My socks were giving me some difficulties but I got my shoes on ok. Racked bike just fine. Took a gel with me and a water bottle. Sucked the gel down as I was running through the parking lot and then took some big swigs of water and threw down the bottle with the girls at the 1st water stop and told them I'd come back for it.

Just wished I'd taken the gel on the bike so I didn't have to take the stuff with me on the run. I purposely tried to slow my transitions down for this race so I could gather myself a bit better. Not sure that extra few seconds helped much though.
Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Through the parking lot the girl I'd been playing tag with on the bike came up to me, said something like "nice job" and then TOOK OFF on the run! All I could think was "I used to be able to do that...." :(
I remember her race # and looked at her age - 22. So I guess that's part of my excuse. A girl 12 years younger than me should be running faster than me. I guess.

Anyway, my legs and feet felt baaaaaaaad. I didn't have my Garmin on so I really don't know what my pace was, but it felt like I was barely running and I couldn't will my legs to go any faster. This was the point where I realized the impact of my lack of training. ugh. I just kept telling myself it was just a training run, and it was good for me, and it certainly wasn't a marathon distance so it was a piece of cake and it would be over in no time. Don't you just love my self talk?? :)

At about the 11 minute mark I noticed improvements and was able to pick up the pace. A couple minutes after that I could hear this loud guy behind me just talking away. I instinctively looked behind me just because he was so LOUD. I just wanted to see who was barreling through. He said something to me like "Don't worry, I'm not passing you." I guess I started trying to make sure that was true. When we came upon the last hill he was talking about it and I said "I love hills" and he said "Well then take me up this one." He didn't know what he'd just done. :) When we sailed up that I was in my groove and was really pushing the last, long straightaway. This is where I think marathon training has really improved my mental toughness. Nothing seems too long any more. It's really remarkable how that's changed for me. I love it.

I finished strong and ended up having had a great race!! :)

Just need to train, train, train. Do lots of BRICKS!!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank 2 cups of water right away, Jackie came up to me right away and said I looked like I'd hardly worked, or something like that. ha ha. :) I heard my name announced that I was the 5th female finisher. That lasted all of 5 minutes, if that. But 10th isn't too bad, either!

I got my stuff out of transition pretty quickly and brought back my lawn chairs for some nice relaxing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.
If I could only lose these 10 lbs.....

Event comments:

This is a great local race! I'll keep doing it as long as they keep holding it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:53 | 300 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/56
Overall: 66/313
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 12 lengths in a pool. Up and down and then under the lane line.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:51:48 | 15 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/56
Overall: 113/313
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rollers and a few good hills too. Not an easy bike course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:37 | 03.3 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 0/313
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Pittsford Triathlon

2009-06-08 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2203938

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: Pittsford Triathlon

Hardware! Congrats!

2009-06-09 6:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Not bad for a "training day"! Congrats on the hardware too!!!

It was great to get out to a race with you!  You are going with us next time we go around the lake! No Excuses!!!

2009-06-09 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

It was a great "training day"!  And despite your horrible run (at least the first half of it), you still beat me on that part.  And I set a PR!

Anyway, a good race for you.  You're gonna be super tough when you dedicate yourself to training this distance.  Congrats on the hardware! 

2009-06-09 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
That's a stellar training day. You'll be tough as nails once you iron out a few early season wrinkles. Congrats on hardware!
2009-06-09 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great race er I mean training day
Now think what you could do if you actually trained for it.

What's next?

2009-06-09 7:34 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome race   Congrats on the hardware!

2009-06-10 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Congrats on the hardware!  It is so amusing how you get caught up with all the other competitors on the course.  I thought I was the only one that did that; I try to tell myself to focus on my task, but one can come up with some pretty amusing stories paying attention to them!

Nice job for a training day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed