Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 19s
Overall Rank = 750/1544
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 21/45
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and drank around 20 ounces of water. helped/watched ryan mix our perpetuem bottle and flask. went down to breakfast (bagel with lots of butter). came back packed and left.
Got to the transition area in plenty of time set things up and stared at it for a while. oh, i did also learned that your low tire needs to go on the side of your label. i have heard a variety of different rules, but this is the official one. LABEL-LOW. there you have it. confusion no more, until next time when i forget.
the label stuff was kind of a nice distraction.
Event warmup:

the same as always. swung my arms around a little. i was standing completely by myself swinging them, and yet, a woman seemed to go out of her way to be hit by them. moron.
Swim
  • 38m 29s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

the day before we had been to the water and everyone was complaining about jellyfish stings. this threw me into a world of panic. on our honeymoon in october i met the acquaintence of several very unhospitable jellies and left there with welts that then scabbed over. they hurt. there was no way on earth i could swim in those conditions. i knew the ones in the choptank were not going to be anywhere near as bad, but the descriptions that people were giving me where not comforting. "it's like a pin prick." yes, well, i would not swim in a sea of pins to prick me, so that is not helpful. after realizing the jelly issue, i would have driven home that night if not for ryan. no joke. would have gone the hell home. i'm so so glad i didn't. it took every ounce of me to get in that water, but it ended up begin a great day.
i had heard from Mindy on the mentor forum that vaseline can help prevent jelly fish stings so i was lubed up. i know that vaseline isn't good for wetsuits, but did not care. i was doing what i had to to make it through that race. wetsuit can be replaced.
i was getting in the water when my goggle strap started popping out. great. hands are full of vaseline and i can't fix it. one of the great volunteers there fixed it for me.
get in the water put on my goggles, and i can't see my hand in front of my face. damn vaseline is on my goggles. ugh. it wasn't coming off in the water, so i ran back over to volunteers that were standing in the water near the start. i asked him, "can i borrow your shirt to wipe my goggles on?" he says, "why of course" and rips his shirt off and hands it to me. very nice guy, cute young guy with a six pack that has been DYING for someone to ask to borrow his shirt. i told him i didn't actually need him to take it off. "oh". he puts it back on and i just use the edge to wipe my goggle. better, but still not great. what am i going to do? in a last second attempt, i found that licking the hell out of them worked. that must have looked cool.
start horn blows and i just started swimming. i made a concerted effort to stay easy. this is my first HIM and i just want to make it through the day happy. got my first jellyfish sting and could not believe what a non-event it was. these locals got NOTHING on those caribbean jellyfish. in fact, i got stung a LOT, but it was so not a big deal. nothing like pin pricks or whatever else people describe them as. for anyone that thinks these are pin pricks i say go get stung by one of those caribbeans boys. yikes.
so anyway, the swim. sighting was terrible! i zigzagged all over the damn place. got my goggles kicked off once and i had to float to put them back on. had to stop again to readjust them twice because they were leaking. time for knew goggles. I felt calm, cool, and collected the whole time. new, clearer goggles would have helped a lot.
What would you do differently?:

new goggles, and don't get vaseline on them. oh yeh, i also need to work on breathing to the right. i train almost exclusively bi laterally, but for some reason i am not super comfortable breathing soley to the right which would have been helpful since that is the side the buoys were on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

didn't try to race out. just wanted to be sure i had everything i needed.

i was more cautious because this was my first HIM and i had new nutrition so i wasn't used to what i was grabbing. in the future, i will hustle this up.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

holy wind batman!!!
my goal here was to not kill my hip and to have enough hip left to do the run. i never pushed it. i did not use the aero position a lot at all. when i felt i was getting tired i eased up the gearing. i thanked the volunteers. i stopped to pee. i had a merry old time. oh, i had passed a woman i had met at the hotel on the bike, then i passed her again when i was out of the portajohn. when i passed her i said, "i had to stop to pee." she says, "you've got to learn to pee on the bike." now, i know this thing occurs all the time, but i am not winning this race. i will take the 2 minutes extra to pee in a john everytime. think of the time i could save in life if i just wet myself instead of making the annoying trip to the bathroom, but i don't. why? because it's disgusting. if one year i miss placing or a kona slot by two minutes, then i will consider peeing on the bike the next year, but until then, no way in hell.

ryan caught up with me at mile 44. it was so nice to see him. i was so sad when he rode away. it was at the part of the bike when i was ready to be done and i just wanted to stay with him. don't leave me! obviously, he needed to race his race, but i missed him anyway. saw shelly and scott a few times. it was so nice to have someone cheer just for your. yay me! my computer wasn't working so i wasn't super sure what my time was and was SHOCKED when i finished in 3:05. I was expecting something closer to 3:30. shocked shocked shocked....and so so happy. for nutrition on the bike i went through my water bottle which had 2 packets of perpetuem mixed in it. i went through two aerobottles of water, and a hammer bar. also took 2 electrolyte pills every hour. felt good getting off the bike.

nothing. i am really excited about what i can do on the bike if i have a fully functioning hip, can train high mileage on it, and can stay in aero. i'm gonna rock this junk. the nutrition was also clutch. I will do this again in the future. i am a hammer girl.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

felt fine.

i could pick up some time if i learned to do the shoes on the bike trick. run barefoot, etc. maybe next season.
Run
  • 1h 49m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

i was super super super happy with this run. i wasn't sure what to expect from the hip since i haven't bricked after any of my longer rides. this was the best possible run i could have hoped for. took my perpetuem flask with me and sipped on that. that had 1.5 packets in it. also took 2 electrolyte pills each hour. drank water at every stop.
it felt like i passed over a hundred people. all those jerk guys who blew past me on the bike within 6 inches even though there was 5 feet of open lane got my dust on the run. eat it. :) felt great. hot, but great. about 30 minutes into the run i saw a familiar butt ahead. could that be ryan? it was. i didn't want to sprint to catch him because i needed to stay even, but when i did i creaped up on him and slapped him in the butt. that was funny. thank god it was him! we stayed together for a few miles, but i was just feeling too good to not run my race. kept going and felt great the whole time. the only problem is that i did not wear socks and paid a heavy price. my feet are a mess. i have several large blisters on both feet. bad bad bad. but the run was great great great. this, amazingly, is a half marathon PR for me. awesome.

socks socks socks.
Post race
Warm down:

it was great because i was able to wrap around real quick and watch ryan finish and cheer for him. this was the second year i got to see him finish. so proud. he killed it 5:27. so so proud. i love that we can do this together.
we changed, got massages, and ate. it was a great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

obviously the hip, but i go in for surgery today. yikes.

Event comments:

i'm going to jump on the soap box real quick....i saw more than one occurence of a racer being rude to a volunteer. one jerk guy pitched a fit because he couldn't take his bike out a certain exit after the race. what was wrong with the other two exits that they offered?! maybe they should just let you go out anywhere. this would make it nice and easy for me to just take your expensive as hell bike and leave you my overstock special as a gift. jerk. on the way out, i thanked the woman checking numbers. as i was walking away i heard her say to another volunteer that it was nice getting thanked "after all the grief she has gotten today". absolutely ridiculous. we wouldn't have a race without these people. be nice for the love of god.

Last updated: 2009-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:29 | 1931 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/45
Overall: 0/1544
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: large U shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:05:36 | 56 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/45
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:49:33 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/45
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2009-06-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2217550

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Sounds like you had a great race.  And way to deal w/ the jellyfish.  I would not have been so brave.
2009-06-15 7:20 AM

User image

Master
NJ

Great race RR! Glad the jellies weren't an issue and you made the boy's day asking him to borrow his shirt - too funny! Awesome job!

2009-06-15 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA

Congrats on a great race!

2009-06-15 7:37 AM

User image

Regular
Awesome awesome race, especially as a fellow first timer (who was a hell of a lot slower than you!)

x2 on the jellyfish, no nearly as bad as they were made out to be.
2009-06-15 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Lisa,

Can we train together??? 

You:
21   770 LISA ALBRECHT           29 RESTON VA             5:39:19   30   38:29   26  2:54   27 3:05:36  18.2   30 3:46:58   18  2:48   14 1:49:33  8:22

Me:
24   772 JUDY HOLDEN             48 RALEIGH NC            5:39:21   55   45:14   52  4:12   31 2:57:48  19.0   41 3:47:13   25  3:07   10 1:49:02  8:20

Look how close our times are.  OK so I can't swim worth a lick and you couldn't go aero which I'm sure hurt your bike split some.

Good luck with the surgery.  Sure hope you can come back even stronger.

2009-06-15 10:47 AM

Pro
yep,

Great job out there.  you really killed the run!

2009-06-15 11:15 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow I loved your race report!! Jellyfish?! Vaseline on your goggs?! 6-pack volunteer?!

Amazing run, and race overall. Way to go!!
2009-06-15 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Funny, everytime I go to a pool I always look for people doing doing the arm swim warm-up thing. I'm drawn to them like bugs to a light.  I like to try to dodge the arms....doesn't everyone do that??....huh.  :-)
What an awesome race!!  Congrats on the 1/2 marathon PR.....pretty darned impressive after 56 miles on the bike.
And thanks for an entertaining rr!!
Hope the surgery goes well.....we'll be thinking about you today.
2009-06-15 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow what a great race report!  And to have such a great time while injured!  Pretty nice.  Lisa's fast!!

I went for a swim the day before just to see what the jellies felt like.  Since I haven't felt any others, it was what it was - not pleasant, but not a deterrent.  Made me feel a lot better.

2009-06-16 6:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-16 10:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Great job, especially being injured.  You rocked the run with a PR, even.  Impressive.  Good luck with your surgery.  Hope you come out stronger and faster!
2009-06-17 12:38 PM

Pro
Reston
Great race, Lisa. We saw you coming out of the swim too. It was funny because we yelled your name, and you looked at us, somewhat confused, probably trying to figure out who the hell we were. We figured that about 10-15 seconds later that you realized who it was. You looked like you were having a great time out there on the run. Nicely done!
2009-06-17 3:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Great Job Lisa Your RR is pretty funny.  I couldn't believe those blisters on your feet!  I've never seen blisters that big!  Great job on the run PR!  Your nutrition sounds like it was spot on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed