General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Independence, Minnesota
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Parents and brother were in town for the weekend. Unfortunately didn't get to bed until close to midnight and set the alarm for 5:15, so not much sleep. Packed up the car in the morning, had a bagel and cream cheese and some gatorade. The highway we take for a short amount of time to the race was closed (and I didn't know until we got to the exit ramp!) so that added a little bit of stress in terms of getting to the race. Still managed to get to the race about 1 hour before transition area closed.
Event warmup:

Nothing! :) Stood in line at the porta-potty.
Swim
  • 30m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good during this swim. It felt very crowded for most of the way which I didn't really like. The first 100 yards were definitely super crowded, then until just after the turnaround it was ok, but then the next wave started to catch us and I was getting kicked, etc. I managed to draft off someone for about 60% of the swim and I was really happy with that since this is the first race I can honestly say I used drafting to my advantage. I wanted to hit the beach around 30 minutes. Looked at my watch when my toes hit the sand: 29:11. Goal accomplished! My dad was close to the beach and knew I wanted to be around 30. He yelled out 31 minutes, but I had enough energy to yell back and correct him with 29:11, so I guess I was feeling good!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt great.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

My wetsuit came off super fast. It was like I had smeared myself in butter or something (minus the bad smell). It was awesome!
Bike
  • 1h 15m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I kinda think this could have been a few minutes faster. I wanted to hit 20 mph average for the race. Felt pretty good. Pushed it hard. Past a whole bunch of people (including two girls from my age group). From miles 15 to 19 I was dragging a little, but I had a GU and that slightly energized me. There were a lot of sharp turns, U turns onto small paths, etc that slowed down portions of the course. Overall, decent bike. I like my new orbea :)

Push through the slump in energy in the middle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I debated about pulling an extra GU out of my bag that I had not left out in transition and opted against it, so this took a few seconds. Overall pretty quick transition for me.
Run
  • 51m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was really slow, but my time was good so I guess no complaints. I was chasing this women for 3 miles until the turn around. She had a bright yellow tri top on and it was just calling my name and making me run faster. I finally caught her at the turn around and she had slowed way down. I told her "you're my rabbit so you better not slow down!". I was joking, but she gave me a look that made me think she didn't appreciate my humor 2 hours and 20 minutes into a race :)

I gotta get more running in. See overall comments
Post race
Warm down:

The post race food was awesome. My bro was doing the 1/2 IM so hung out, ate, and waited for him.

Event comments:

I am super happy with the way this turned out. I had knee surgery 8 months ago (ACL replacement). I thought not only was my fitness not back to where it was but that my knee just wasn't up to snuff. I've been only running 3 times a week (which is very little running for me) and my longest run preparing for this race was 5.8 miles. In February I was still on a run/walk plan for rehab of the knee surgery. I seriously could not be happier. Before the race I told my dad I'd do cartwheels if I beat my time from last years oly (which was before the knee injury and surgery) and somehow I managed to come in more than 1 minute faster. I passed on the cartwheels after the race but am VERY VERY happy. Looking forward to 2 more sprints this summer and possibly another olympic!

Last updated: 2009-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back in Lake Independence
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:37 | 24.85 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rolling around the area of Baker Park Reserve. Lots of the roads were rather rough. Not super great for riding.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:19 | 06.21 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Performance:
Course: Out and back on running/biking trails of Baker Park Reserve. Short section on woodchips, mostly paved. Lots of water stops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 11:08 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-06-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2220257

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Awesome race, way to rock it Sarah!!
2009-06-18 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2224170

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Awesome job Sarah!  I hope you'll go back next year and find top 3 in your AG.

2009-06-18 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Great job Sarah!  All of your hard work paid off   WTG

2009-06-23 11:34 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats...sorry I missed this before now!  Glad to see your hard work getting back paying off!
2009-12-16 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
What do you mean?!? Do you think butter smells bad?!? Ha!

And I would have said something like that to my "rabbit" too, and I probably would have gotten a similar response. People need to have more fun out there and lighten up!

Nice work! GREAT splits!

p.s. I did that race too. What a beautiful day for it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed