World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 10m 27s
Overall Rank = 697/1250
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 64/103
Pre-race routine:

Late 2:35 start time for my wave was horrible. Seemed to wait around all morning. Took the 12:30 shuttle to swim area. Then time seemed to accelerate. Had to wait in line to get bike techs to top off air. I had a problem with a valve extender and a tech just popped my wheel off, put a new one on, explained what the problem was, and sent me on my way. These guys were great.
Event warmup:

None. No swimming allowed. Just focused on my logistics and mental preparation.
Swim
  • 48m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I waited for my wave the weather just got worse and worse. The wind starting blowing strongly and churned the water into a white-capped nightmare. The start went OK. The waves were of manageable size for the starting area and did not have too much contact. In fact, I had very little contact throughout the swim though this was mainly due to staying just outside the freight train of swimmers. After rounding the first corner marker, I went kind of flat. I do not know if it was the chop or my wetsuit. My last few practice OWS's in my new suitsuit did not go well either. I initially attributed it to completing Hawaii 70.3 two weeks prior but I had no fatigue issues through the remainder of the race. I think my wetsuit is just too tight and restrictive.

I even had to resort to breaststroking occasionally to keep my heart rate down. I was pretty miserable. Approaching the second red corner buoy a safety kayaker told me to swim towards the next yellow marker as the corner had broken free. Half my wave was chasing the stupid thing as it drifted out of position. I do not know how much time this cost me but was representative of the type of swim I was having. It was about this time as I turned my head to take a breath and saw my daughter next to me as she started in the wave behind me. We exchanged grins and kept going. She is a strong swimmer and I didn't catch up to her until about the 7th mile of the bike. After getting around the last corner, I started getting into a rhythm and finished OK. Even though 40 minutes was my goal I was OK with 48 minutes given how poorly my swim went.
What would you do differently?:

Gone out a little slower. Navigated course more aggresively. Go back to my old wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Had a pretty good transition given the distance that needed to be covered coming up the path from the lake to T1. I trotted right along and went right to the biggest wetsuit stripper who whipped it right off. My daughter told me later she went to a lady and little girl who had problems getting her suit off. It is beyond me why they put a 10 year old girl in a wetsuit stripper position.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 04m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Just after mounting my bike while going over a speed bump my water bottle popped out and at the next speed bump a few hundred yards later one of my gel flasks fell out of my back pocket. At this moment, I thought the horror of my swim was going to continue out on the bike course. After crossing the dam, there is a steep descent which I decided I was going to just get aero and go for it. I usually stay on the horns at these kinds of speed but it was dry for the moment and I had some making up to do.

The first climb went well and I caught up to my daughter. Again, we exchanged smiles and encouragement. I was feeling really good and the miles were ticking off. Than the skies just opened up and the rains came so hard it was difficult to see. I do not think it is possible for it to rain any harder than it did while climbing up to the Birds of Prey. The descent from there was slowed considerably in order to stay safe. The temperatures dropped than also as it started to hail.

The 3rd and final ascent came and went without too much difficulty. I felt really strong on all the hills today. The next part of the course was a long flat twisting road with a slight tailwind. This was my favorite part of the course as I felt like I was just flying. At the 40 mile mark I was right at 2 hours with just a flat section, a few uphill rollers and the descent into town. I was sure I was going to shatter my bike goal. But once again, mother nature threw another challenge at us with a headwind that turned that section into a bit of a slog. The rains came back as hard as before while descending back into town. This section was a great opportunity to rest up for the run ahead. Coming into T2 was just a thrill as you come screaming around a sweeping downhill turn onto Capital St. that is four lanes wide all closed to traffic. You have four or five blocks where you can see the end of the bike leg and it is like a parade route.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I had a pretty good spot in T2 that was 2 blocks long. For some it was a long jog with the bike. Got my shoes swapped, left my sunglasses there because it was still raining. I thought my legs would be a bit wobbly after 56 miles but took off back through the crowd of spectators with a strong relaxed stride.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 12m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

My Garmin took a long to synch up and I was nearing the first mile before I got my first pace reading. I was cruising along at an 8:18 pace and feeling really good. My goal was a 9:30 minute mile pace with a 30 second walk every mile so I figured I'd just go with it and log some minutes in the bank. First three miles were all around 8:20, fourth was about 9:00, than 10:30, than 11:00. I figured it was time to get back to the game plan. My first half split was just over one hour so I was pleased at that point.

It continued to rain and was cool throughout the run. I heard a lot of people grumbling about the poor conditions but after running in Hawaii 2 weeks ago on a hilly course in high heat and humidity I just smiled as they had no idea how bad they could be suffering under other conditions. The second half of the run was tougher than it needed to be after my fast start but I think I learned from it and wouldn't make that mistake again. The finish was great running through the crowd. People were so supportive.

Stick to the plan. Stick to the plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Wrapped up in an tin foil blanket and waited for my daughter in the finish chute as she was right behind me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing my first 70.3 two weeks prior to this event.

Event comments:

Great venue for the race. Very well organized. The volunteers were 2nd to none. They were enthusiastic and brought a smile to my face throughout the race. Finishing through the crowd at the end was a great feeling. Many little kids with their hands out waiting for a high-five from an athlete. I hit every one! Was the best part of the event.

Last updated: 2009-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:29 | 2112 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 719/1250
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca 3.8
Course: Clockwise rectangle. Start was just past the docks.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:07 | 56 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Overall: 592/1250
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: First half mile getting across dam followed by steep twisting descent. First climb at 5 miles. Moderately flat until 2nd climb at about 15 miles. Final significant climb at about 20 miles. Fairly flat til 40 mile mark with a few rollers. Final 5 miles great descent into downtown Boise. Fairly technical course with 3 high speed descents and many 90 degree corners.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:12:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 791/1250
Performance: Average
Course: Great run course! 2 loops as flat as can be along paved path along riverfront park. Many trees lining the route. End of first lap is teasingly close to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 11:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2009-06-15 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2220259

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Awsome job out there.
2009-06-16 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Excellent job out there. I can't believe you did your first 2 HIM"s 2 weeks apart, that's crazy.
2009-06-16 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Way to go! How did your daughter do?  Ya the rain was annoying as were the puddles, but serious heat is worse.  There were folks who got hypothermia who may have wanted heat instead 8).  The cool temperatures sure allowed for passing up alot of aid stations as water needs were low.  Way to hang in there on that last 6.5 miles, those are the hard ones.
2009-06-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2221149

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Baowolf - 2009-06-16 10:42 AM

Way to go! How did your daughter do?  Ya the rain was annoying as were the puddles, but serious heat is worse.  There were folks who got hypothermia who may have wanted heat instead 8).  The cool temperatures sure allowed for passing up alot of aid stations as water needs were low.  Way to hang in there on that last 6.5 miles, those are the hard ones.

Hi Steve, my daughter threw down a 6:16 with a 1:53 run leg. needless to say I was one proud pops!
2009-06-16 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Kudo's to you... And Kudo's to the daughter!  Great day on both parts!

2009-06-16 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Nice job.  I wouldn't sweat the swim too much - I know I was wayyyy off my usual pace and a lot of other people were as well.  There was something strange about that swim...    Way to keep it together through that bike/run from hell - looks like you made the adjustments necessary to stick to your plan and that's the most important thing.  Congrats!  =)
2009-06-17 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
Great day in the rain and wind. I only hope that some day my kid will join me in a race. Must be a great feeling.

Dean.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed