Blue Mounds, Wisconsin
United States
Viking Biking Club
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ridiculously early, had my usual sprouted 7 grain toast with almond butter and honey, started sipping Gatorade Endurance. I had everything ready to go and in bags so all I needed to do was load the bike in the car and get going.

There was a big BT group here but we had a hard time coordinating a meet up before the start. mr2tony (tony) and wavedog (jon) found me at the car, 1tt (phil) and I met up briefly, I talked to amyjotris (amy) on the phone, but when it was time to start, no one was around. I figured I better get going. It was already a bit late and I wasn't going to be setting any speed records out there.
Event warmup:

Nada. I figured I had 40 climbs to get warm on.
Bike
  • 4h 21m 47s
  • 59.96 miles
  • 13.74 mile/hr
Comments:

First off, I cut the course by mistake hence my shorter mileage. I'm not torn up about it, it was still the hardest physical thing I've ever done. I made the mistake of following a big group of cyclists rather than just following course markings. Oops. I started alone and stopped to talk to Phil on the phone. While waiting Jon and Tony came by. Jon stayed and we waited longer, but since I was off course Phil never came so we moved on.

Jon was faster but he waited at the top of the hills, which was nice. The beginning of this ride is interesting. You hit a few steep, hard climbs, but are rewarded with some unbelievably long downhills so it doesn't feel that hard. The roads were challenging with a lot of loose gravel and twigs due to all the storms so you really had to pay close attention. As usual I was timid on the descents and lost a lot of free speed as a result. I'm just not ready to fly down a hill at 40+ mph.

Heading into the first rest area was a tremendously steep climb that is cruelly located just past a major intersection and railroad tracks so we had to stop and wait for a policeman to wave us through. Tackling this climb with zero momentum was a treat and to add to my fun, I dropped my chain. I nearly went down since I was only riding about 4 mph but somehow managed to clip out and get to the side of the road. I could not get the chain back on and was totally losing my temper. I screamed some colorful words and just at that moment, heard someone say my name. It was Whizzzzz (laura) and MissKelly (kelly) and they graciously stopped to see if I was ok.

We met up with Phil and Amy at the rest stop but Amy needed to stay for bike maintenance so just the three of us rode the next section. It was so much more fun having company and Phil singing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall on a big climb was amusing!

The second section was much harder with a couple hills I swore I couldn't do. There was one in particular right before the second rest stop that looked as though it went straight up. It made me wonder how the ride organizer could ever look at it and say "I think I'll put this on my course." It was brutal. People were weaving all over the road in an effort to keep from tipping over. Many riders had to stop and walk and others stopped and just stood over their bikes trying to catch their breath. On climbs like this there was total silence except the sound of people breathing. You would ride right by someone and no words or looks would be exchanged, we were suffering too much for niceties.

We ran into Laura and Kelly at the rest stop and Amy's boyfriend Craig (firstnet911). I felt like we stayed there forever. It was so much fun and made us forget about the pain for a bit. Amy showed up and was riding with another friend, Robert (bertgwen), so for the final stretch we had a nice little group that would later make all the difference in the world. I'm not sure I could have done it alone. The last section was truly punishing with climbs that went on for miles and one so steep I had a hard time driving up it in my car. The sun was blazing, it was in the mid-80s and high humidity as well, making it physically grueling.

I've never done an event where you see so much defeat. People were dropping like flies especially as it got hotter and hotter. There was absolutely no shame in having to walk a hill or needing to stop and take a rest after a brutal climb. I told myself in the beginning it would be ok to walk so I wouldn't stress over needing to if it came to that. I miraculously managed not to walk any hills, but I had to stop at the top of more than a few to catch my breath and let my HR lower from the 180 BPMs it had reached. My coach gave me an HR strategy going into this ride which included keeping my HR below 155. Ha! That was absolutely impossible, the smallest climbs pushed me to that level even when I was in the easiest gear and pedaling as slowly as I could.

But on the flip side of the defeat was an amazing spirit of being in it together and dare I say - fun. Thanks to the friends I rode with, I laughed all day even on the most punishing parts of the course. If anyone had an issue, we all stopped to make sure things were ok and we waited for each other as needed. It made the miles fly by and made the climbs a lot more manageable since we were all sharing in the same pain, the same struggle and the same desire to finish. It's amazing the energy you can draw from others.

This ride was by far the most intense, most challenging physical thing I've ever done. I was more spent at 40 miles than I was after 110 miles the week before on a challenging course. I was fatigued to the core and was yawning despite my effort to keep the calories up. I was dehydrated and my nutrition plan went out the window, it was just too difficult to be disciplined during something so unusually hard. But the feeling of accomplishment at the end was amazing.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wear gloves. I don't bike in gloves anymore, but the amount of sweating you do makes it tough to keep a good grip.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I could muster the energy to get off my bike, I went straight to the Culver's tent for a big chocolate custard (kinda like chocolate milk, right?) and then to the New Glarus truck for beer! We found a shady picnic table and spent a few hours relaxing. Other BTers came - mndiver, schmize, tripletmom01 and maybe others (sorry, my brain was foggy).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HILLS!

Event comments:

I'll be back next year. This is too much fun to pass up!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-16 12:00 AM
Biking
04:21:47 | 59.96 miles | 13.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Horribly hilly. Hills placed in sick, twisted locations such as right after a turn or an intersection where you have to stop first. Some appeared to go straight up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-25 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K

2009-06-25 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2243128

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K
Nice job out there and way to not plant when your chain came off. Good work!
2009-06-25 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2243186

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Great job out there K

All the other rides look easy when reading your RR! 
2009-06-25 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

You did an amazing job Kristin!! Riding each and every hill to the top and to me you made it look effortless.  I had a blast and couldn't have done it without you all.  We will miss you when you return to New York. 

You are gonna rock IM!!!

2009-06-25 4:41 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I like how the story changes from this RR to your blog, to my RR, to our discussions.

Oh, wait - no dig on how you "chicked" me, either??!!  I'm shocked, I say - just shocked!

Next time, get some arm warmers.

Wearing gloves really help with gripping on the bike - yeah, you lose a couple of seconds getting them on, but are a comfort on those long rides, too.

Great job, K!!!

Now you'll be ready for Moo!

2009-06-25 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2243593

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
1stTimeTri - 2009-06-25 5:41 PM

I like how the story changes from this RR to your blog, to my RR, to our discussions.

Oh, wait - no dig on how you "chicked" me, either??!!  I'm shocked, I say - just shocked!

Next time, get some arm warmers.

Wearing gloves really help with gripping on the bike - yeah, you lose a couple of seconds getting them on, but are a comfort on those long rides, too.

Great job, K!!!

Now you'll be ready for Moo!

Your story may have changed but mine remains the same! I refrained from bragging on the chicking, I'm good like that

2009-06-25 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2243614

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Hills placed in sick, twisted locations....

Hm. Maybe I should switch careers and become a "Horribly Hilly RD"....

Great job! Sounds like you had a nice workout there.

And chicking Phil.... well, that was very well done.

Edited by D001 2009-06-25 7:54 PM
2009-06-25 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Great job, Kristin!  Now that you've tackled these hills, IMOO better watch out for you!
2009-06-26 10:08 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job, Kristin!  I think the entire point is to have the hardest possible hills and that's how they came up with the route.  At least that's what I've heard.

The Culver's tent is a great first stop.  Nothing like post-race-recovery custard. 
2009-06-26 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
HR 155?  Mine'd hit 185 after the first hill!  Wow, that's a seriously impressive accomplishment to finish and not to walk any of those hills.  I must admit, the name of the race scares me.

Now that you've done the worst, I'm sure every other bike course'll feel like a breeze!
2009-06-26 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Sounds like a blast!

Glad you went out and had this wonderful time training in WI!

I can't wait to watch your progress on your IM day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100K Rss Feed