Playtri
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 35m 54s
Overall Rank = 233/270
Age Group = Clydedale
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 - slept fitfully, afraid I would oversleep I guess. Packed everything the night before except water bottles and loading the bike. Opened the garage door, 2 minutes later, it starts lightly raining. Drove to event site, plenty of parking facilities. Still light rain coming down. Set up transition, used the two grocery bags and the trash bag I stuffed into my transition bag at the last second.
Event warmup:

Not much, walked around, talked to some folks I knew. Saw a few other BT'ers...
Swim
  • 15m 17s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not real happy with the swim, I did the IM again today to finish. My arms did feel heavy today, I wonder if it had to do with the swim race yesterday? Good news is the goggles did not fill up with water. However, took a breathful of water - threw me off my game. Went down hill from there. Started out up front this time and that seemed to work better for the first 100 yards or so. I will point out that I was not last though!

Oh yeah and it was still raining...
What would you do differently?:

Focus on breathing, swim my own pace. I think I have strategy for improving my OWS over the next couple of weeks. Figure out a way to simulate the bumping of the OWS start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I decided to try riding without socks today. I know, I shouldn't try new things on the day of a race that have not been practiced, but I figured everything was soaked anyway, so might as well give a whirl... Time could have been better if I was not gassed coming out of the water.

Work on swim to improve transition. Figure out the whole rubber banding the shoes on the bike thing... I bet there is a you tube video out there or something here on the site.
Bike
  • 41m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Took it easy a little to begin with to get breathing and heart rate under control and to forget about what I thought was a very bad swim and then began to build. Caught several people - played my own little game called "Who is my huckleberry?" I would spot someone ahead of me, catch them and then play another round. Seem to be successful. Performed better on hills than previously. Powered up the last overpass, passing someone on the upslope side. As I was in an adventurous mood today (remember the no socks thing...) I decided to try to try the pedal with foot on shoe manauver. Executed it with no problem. Reached down, un-velcroed, pulled foot out and rode on top of the shoes to the dismount line. I was lookin' all professional...

Despite the continuing rain, this was my fastest speed this year in a tri (yeah for small victories...)

Next step is to work on the rolling dismount. Not sure about the flying mount yet. Keep up the training on the bike, More time in aero. As I am still new at aero riding, I was not comfortable riding much in the aero position due to the wet pavement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Seemed quicker than the time indicated. Not sure what I did wrong, but it was way longer than it had to be.

Practice this one...
Run
  • 35m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, where to start... I will say the endorphins must have been running because I had a good time on the run. Sure, I took walk breaks, but less than before. Just as I started and was tired from the bike, coming back was the para-triathlete rolling the other way. All I could think was, "Yeah, I can make it a little further..." Something in my head clicked and I started being the encouraging triathlete. I was passing some people and telling them good job, great, you can do it, trying to lift spirits of those who were in the back of pack struggling. I have been there, I am still there and it means something when some encourages you! Anyway, I was a little gurgly. If you notice, I drank too much on the bike and on the run. Yep, you guessed, had to make a quick pit stop at the on-route port-a-john. Keep up the mostly running with a little walking. Ran out the last half mile or so. I had two guys come up on me in the last 200 hundred yards - we actually sprinted it out to the finish. I beat them by a nose...

I could have gone harder on the run, but I would not have had as much fun. I truly enjoyed the run this time which is quite a difference from the other tri's when I am just gasping and hanging on for dear life. I need to continue to run 3 times a week, but I can feel progress here!
Post race
Warm down:

I was sucking wind pretty hard when I got done. I sipped some water and went over to the ART tent. Apparently I have very knotty muscles and they think they can help. They worked over my right quad. I will see if it feels different from the left over the next day or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim, lack of aerobic base...

Event comments:

This has been the best race I have been to. Playtri puts on a good event.

Last updated: 2009-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:17 | 547 yards | 02m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 0/270
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: rectangular point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:40 | 12 miles | 17.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I'm not sure where it went, I just followed the markers. It was different than it was two years ago though.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:30 | 03.11 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Up a short steep hill out of transition and then flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-05 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-05 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2263210

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Playtri Sprint Triathlon
I'm your Huckleberry. AWESOME JOB BROTHER!!!!  Like the part of you giving out props.  Very cool.  Great improvement man. 
2009-07-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2263247

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Awesome race! Congrats.
2009-07-06 12:04 AM
in reply to: #2263247

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Your swim time seemed to be a little slower today than yesterday, but not by a large amount. (2:40/100 yesterday, 2:48/100 today.) But yes, I'd think your arms might have felt "heavy" due to all the exertion yesterday. Also, was there more current today? Or waves?

I've never heard of your huckleberry game. But hey, it seems to have worked.

Nice job with your "adventures" on the bike.

And very cool about your encouraging others along the run.

GREAT JOB! CONGRATULATIONS!

2009-07-06 5:43 AM

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Great job Andy  

You had a swim competition yesterday, I am pretty sure that is why you were a bit slower today. Faster bike split in a Tri so far, Yeah good job And then you enjoyed the run and cheered on other.

Congratulation!
2009-07-06 9:33 AM

User image

Ferris, Texas

Nice going out there Andy...Great progress on the run.

2009-07-06 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Andy it was good to see you out there and nice race. I like you thoughts on the bike. Keep chasing the person in front of you.
2009-07-06 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Congratulations Andy! Great job racing back to back days!

2009-07-09 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Nice work, congrats on the bike PR!
2009-07-09 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great Job, Andy! Love the "huckleberry game"! Congrats on the bike PR!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed