General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you ever seen this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-07-07 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Ft. Bragg, NC
Subject: Have you ever seen this?
I was just driving on Fort Bragg and I watched a squad car fly by me going (guesstimating) 50ish in a 30 and little bit down the road I caught up to him to see him pulling over a cyclist.......... O.o?????

How and why would that happen???

Wish I had the time to take a picture!

My only guess is that he may have had his headphones in and he rode by the gate into the base while mistakingly not showing his ID card to get in... but that's my best guess...

2009-07-07 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2268520

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Have you ever seen this?
I actually called the police on a cyclist the other day while on my way home for work.  The guy was riding down a busy highway during rush hour, in the rain, ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, shirtless and without a helmet.  I was afraid he was about to get plowed over.

As cyclists we like to complain about drivers who refuse to obey the rules of the road, the least we can do to keep ourselves safe is to obey the rules we're supposed to be following.  Animosity is bad enough between cyclists and drivers without morons out there blatantly about to cause an accident.

So, anyway to answer the original questions.  MPs will pull over anyone for anything.  They must not have any better to do.  I know people who have been stopped for literally doing 1 MPH over the limit on Ft. Huachuca near where I live.
2009-07-07 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2268541

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
JZig - 2009-07-07 2:54 PM I actually called the police on a cyclist the other day while on my way home for work.  The guy was riding down a busy highway during rush hour, in the rain, ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, shirtless and without a helmet.  I was afraid he was about to get plowed over.

haha, i don't know who would ride like that!  i do understand why some drivers complain about cyclists- its a two way thing - some people drive really poorly, and likewise, some people ride bikes really poorly with a blatant disregard for safety and everyone on the road. 
2009-07-07 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Ft. Bragg, NC
This is VERY VERY true... MP's have their days.  They're either very lazy, or very bored.  Both are a ingredient for stupidity.  I just asked a captain in my unit (who also cycles) and he says it might have been that on post you can only ride with 1 earbud of headphones in at a time and he said he thinks it's somewhere near a $50 fine for riding with both earbuds in.  BUT the rule also says that if the headset is only attached to a phone you can have both earbuds in...

sooooo my new question is... what's the difference?  And what phone has 2 earbuds?  I guess an IPhone, but wouldn't that also count as an MP3 player?  Doesn't almost all phones have some MP3 ability of some sort?  I know mine does not but you'll never see me riding around with a headset attached to the PoS phone I'm sportin'...
2009-07-07 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Maybe the cyclist had a USMC jersey on?

2009-07-07 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2268553

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Patch-Adams - 2009-07-07 5:01 PM This is VERY VERY true... MP's have their days.  They're either very lazy, or very bored.  Both are a ingredient for stupidity.  I just asked a captain in my unit (who also cycles) and he says it might have been that on post you can only ride with 1 earbud of headphones in at a time and he said he thinks it's somewhere near a $50 fine for riding with both earbuds in.  BUT the rule also says that if the headset is only attached to a phone you can have both earbuds in...

sooooo my new question is... what's the difference?  And what phone has 2 earbuds?  I guess an IPhone, but wouldn't that also count as an MP3 player?  Doesn't almost all phones have some MP3 ability of some sort?  I know mine does not but you'll never see me riding around with a headset attached to the PoS phone I'm sportin'...

[rant]
Careful now, unless you've been an MP or a cop you have no idea what it's like to be an MP and the things that we encounter on major installations.  Most federal installations do not allow any earbuds, though I don't know what Ft. Bragg's rules are.  But the MPs don't make the rules, they just enforce them.  Beyond the normal incidents MPs usually have to deal with, you have NO idea how much public pressure and senior leader pressure puts focus on certain issues.  If the CG feels like cyclists haven't been properly obeying the rules and tells the MPs to crack down, the MPs crack down.  If a ton of complaints of perceived speeding in a school zone or housing area  or elsewhere flow in, guess where you'll find MPs running radar.  They aren't out there to just be jerks, they're out there to enforce the law.  I ride on Ft. Hood a lot, and I obey traffic laws.  There are some that do not, and I hear about it from my MPs and they have ticketed some for not riding appropriately.  Don't know what the deal was in this case, but don't assume the MPs were just being jerks.

As for MPs being very lazy or bored, I take extreme offense to that.  We are ALWAYS busy in war and in peacetime.  We rarely get reset time.  Our "breaks" are when we work shift law enforcement cause that means we're not deployed somewhere.  Maybe you've met some tired MPs, but that's deservedly so.  Just like civilian cops, they are out there assisting, protecting, and defending the military community.  They are forgotten when things are quiet because their very presence and enforcement prevents bad things, and they are chided when they enforce the rules because people are mad they got caught.  Thank an MP next time, chances are that if they've spent 3+ years in the Army, they've probably been deployed 2-4 times in the past 8 years for 12-15 months at a shot, and they've immediately turned around to work the road cause as soon as they got home the unit working the road deployed.  There are no breaks.
[/rant]

2009-07-07 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2268563

Regular
SevenZulu - 2009-07-07 6:10 PM

Maybe the cyclist had a USMC jersey on?

Haha.  Most likely.  If he had an Air Force he probably would have been beaten and tasered.

I'd say he likely blew by the gate but it does seem odd.  I grew up with a military dad in DC and spent a lot of time on just about every military base out there and even in the mid-90s the gate gaurds prayed someone did something stupid so they coudl blow something away.

I do remember my dad telling me he got a speeding ticket for 1mph over on base.
2009-07-07 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Ft. Bragg, NC
TexasMPGal,

I understand your frustration and I apologize.  Didn't exactly see an MP replying to this thread when I was writing it.  I just HOPE this isn't the first time you've seen some sort of thing before, being that MP's are the most hated MoS in the military (and when I say that I don't mean it to offend you, just stating the truth).  And yes you're right they deploy plenty, but in these days everyone deploys about that much as well.  Didn't mean to set anyone off by posting this thread.  Just found it funny to see an MP going almost twice the speed limit to catch.... a cyclist?
2009-07-07 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I can relate to TexasMPGal....as an SP in the Air Force, we go through the same things. I have pulled over a cyclist before and that was because he was wearing no shirt and no helmet, both of which are required to ride on the base. Did I cite him? Nope. He was a civilian (Air Force Academy is an open base) and didn't know what the rules were, so I briefed him and set him on his way. Did I go 50 in a 30 to catch up to him? Nope.

I would think that the MP probably was chasing after a guy that failed to show his ID at the gate or something like that. Not all military cops are jerks .....and yes I have heard of people getting a ticket for 2mph over. If I had a troop that did that, he would be riding a gate for the rest of his tenure as that is ridiculous.....
2009-07-07 7:51 PM

New user
I was going to stop this idiot cyclist today but he pulled off on to a trail.  He drove through a red light while the oncoming left lane had a green.  Cars had to stop for him.

He was also riding on a busy street with no helmet.

I was going to rip him a new one too.  Idiots like that give us all a bad name.
2009-07-07 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2268718

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Patch-Adams - 2009-07-07 7:15 PM TexasMPGal,

I understand your frustration and I apologize.  Didn't exactly see an MP replying to this thread when I was writing it.  I just HOPE this isn't the first time you've seen some sort of thing before, being that MP's are the most hated MoS in the military (and when I say that I don't mean it to offend you, just stating the truth).  And yes you're right they deploy plenty, but in these days everyone deploys about that much as well.  Didn't mean to set anyone off by posting this thread.  Just found it funny to see an MP going almost twice the speed limit to catch.... a cyclist?

No grudge--just had to stand up for MPs.  Generalizations almost always lead to bad things...the deploy plenty part was just to say that because of a combat and garrison mission, we are ALWAYS busy (like medics ) with a fully engaged job.  Depending upon what the offense was, going 2x the speed limit probably was much, but if he blew the gate--well, you never know these days!  If a cyclists blew a gate here at Hood, not sure who would get them--we don't work the gates!

Anyhow, every MOS has some not so sharp knives, we just get noticed and generalized more often cause of public exposure. I'll forgive you--but should you come to Hood, don't let me know what your license plate is... (just kidding!!)

2009-07-07 8:40 PM

Expert
I've been pulled over by a cop before on my bike. I was going to turn at the lights but they were red. I went up on the footpath, was going sooo slow so not to hit anyone or anything (there were no people within 50 meters of me) and the cop pulled me over for running a red light? And for dangerous driving/riding.

What a load of rubbish!
2009-07-07 9:02 PM

User image

Expert

OK, I'll add my two cents here. I am also stationed at Ft Hood. And for the record I am a proud member of the Quartermaster Branch. I have seen some absolutely ridiculous things done by weekend cyclists. The rules are a bit more strict on a military base than they are in the civilian sector...and thank God. Even with the more stringent riding rules, there are still cyclists who knowingly do the wrong thing, then want to shoot the messenger (the MP's). When I was stationed at Ft Drum I was attached to an MP company and I can tell you that they work hard and they play hard. I have also seen a sergeant at Ft Bliss get a ticket for 1 MPH over and his chain of command wanted to bring UCMJ action against him because the CG was hot about lowering the speeding tickets.

The bottom line is that without knowing the entire situation, it is dangerous and irresponsible to blame either the cyclist or the MP.

2009-07-07 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I ride regularly on a Fort (Jackson, SC).  99.9% of the riders that I see there (and there are a lot of them) obey all of the rules, in my experience.  I also have to say that the drivers on the base (with the exception of some cab drivers) are on average FAR more sensible and polite to cyclists than civilian drivers.  But I have seen cyclists do stupid things a few times (like attempt to fly through the gate without showing ID -- which is just idiotic -- and attempting to turn down a road closed to civilians), and in the cases I've seen, the MPs are all over it pretty quickly. 

I am about as opposed as possible to fear-mongering and assuming the worst, but in these situations, it's hard to hold the MP responsible for being anxious.  A person has to be either extraordinarily stupid or intending harm to do these sorts of things.  Either way, the person needs stopping, now.  (Of course, I have no idea what the issue was in OP's case -- just a general remark.)
2009-07-07 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
At basic training, once the majority of people have been given their jobs, they dig a big hole and put the remaining jobless personnel in it.

They then put a ladder in the hole.

Those who figure out to climb the ladder out of the hole become firefighters.

Those who do not become MPs/Security Forces...

Tongue out
2009-07-07 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane WA
As youthful 17 year old, a friend and I decided to see how fast we could go down Kole Kole pass on Schofield Barracks. We were going well above the speed limit when we were met at the bottom by a very nice MP who stopped us and informed us (LOUDLY) of the error of our ways. We didn't get a ticket, but the incident got logged and next time my dad saw the MP CO, my behavior was discussed. Justice was swift and harsh.

I would have preferred the ticket.

2009-07-07 11:11 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
What you have to understand is that Ft. Bragg is the center of the universe for the Army- home of the 82nd Airborne.  It is unique in its own way.  It is also connected to Pope AFB so the crack about the AF was unnecessary.  They get the Army where we need to go and cover our butts when we get there.

For some reason I can't pull up the current driving rules but yes, you will get pulled over for going just 1 MPH over the speed limit.  We loose plenty of soldiers in Iraq and A-stan- it is very painful when you have to attend the funeral of a soldier who was killed stateside doing something that could of been prevented.  (drunk driving or driving like an idiot.)

What Rd was he on?  You couldn't pay me enough to ride on Riley Rd- ever esp when it's one way from the gate.  Maybe the cyclist was dumb enough to be on the phone?
2009-07-08 5:10 AM
in reply to: #2269155

User image

Regular
Ft. Bragg, NC
k_watzek - 2009-07-08 12:11 AM
What Rd was he on?  You couldn't pay me enough to ride on Riley Rd- ever esp when it's one way from the gate.  Maybe the cyclist was dumb enough to be on the phone?

funny you should ask that...  N. Riley Road.
2009-07-08 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Milton Keynes, UK
I was pulled by a policeman on my bike for riding recklessly through a busy town centre when I was about 15 (not bragging as it was dangerous mainly to my own health) but in my defence I was late for a very important school exam.

But at age 15 being pulled over by the police I thought I was really cool!

I now realise I was an idiot!
2009-07-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2268541

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
JZig - 2009-07-07 5:54 PM I actually called the police on a cyclist the other day while on my way home for work.  The guy was riding down a busy highway during rush hour, in the rain, ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, shirtless and without a helmet.  I was afraid he was about to get plowed over.

As cyclists we like to complain about drivers who refuse to obey the rules of the road, the least we can do to keep ourselves safe is to obey the rules we're supposed to be following.  Animosity is bad enough between cyclists and drivers without morons out there blatantly about to cause an accident.

So, anyway to answer the original questions.  MPs will pull over anyone for anything.  They must not have any better to do.  I know people who have been stopped for literally doing 1 MPH over the limit on Ft. Huachuca near where I live.

I almost hit a guy who was riding in the middle of a 3 lane road (each direction - 45 mph speed limit) in the dark with no lights AGAINST traffic.  So scary!!  Why on earth would you do that?

I don't think he was training.  Looked like he had grocery bags.  Either way, it was so stupid.
2009-07-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2269286

User image

Delaware, OH
Patch-Adams - 2009-07-08 6:10 AM
k_watzek - 2009-07-08 12:11 AM

funny you should ask that...  N. Riley Road.

Mehahwhaha!  If it was during traffic times than eh, I can see an MP pulling him over. 

2009-07-08 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I'd just like to say, I didn't mean to hate on MPs either,  I'm in law enforcement myself and know what its like to be completely under appreciated.
2009-07-09 10:31 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

I just thought I'd comment...

I got pulled over while cycling on a military base here in Alabama. Honestly, I choose to ride on the base to avoid most of the idiot drivers. I know that the MPs will crack down, drivers will respect me, and I have nearly 20mi of road that doesn't get too terribly boring.

However, I got lax, and deserved getting pulled over.

I was riding approaching a stop sign. I was coming from a smaller street, getting ready to turn right onto a higher traveled road. The stop sign was obvious. I just blew it. Nobody was around and I gave it no thought.

Before I got true with the road again, I heard a car approaching. I pulled closer right and waved him by. That's when he bliped his siren. I came out of aero, looked, and he blipped it again. I pulled over and we had a pretty decent discussion.

He was nice. He was thorough. He was looking out for me. I WAS WRONG.

He asked me if I knew what I did and I mentioned it was probably the stop sign, but otherwise I had no idea.

He confirmed it was the stop sign. I told him that honestly I saw no body coming and used the "cyclist rule" and rolled it. I saw no harm.

He quickly corrected me by saying that a bicycle is a vehicle. ALL vehicles must obey traffic laws. Just b/c it looks fine, it's not. Agreed.

His basis was on the fact that the road I was on was pretty popular. Several cars seem to drive on it, and some even drive recklessly on it. The stop sign is there to protect me. It doesn't protect me, if I don't use it. He's right again.

I got a warning. He simply asked that I be more careful. Easy enough.

So, yea, I was wrong. Yea, he pulled me over. I deserved it. Now the guy in the OPs post, not sure...

2009-07-09 11:51 AM

Central NJ
Funny you mentioned this just the other day in our county a officer pulled over a cyclist for doing 35 in a 25. He ended up letting him go with a warning but technically he could have written him for going 10mph over the limit, in NJ the statue reads so that a bicycle is to obey all rules that apply to a motor vehicle.  I know that in this case the officer let him go but I do know that others have been written for going the wrong way on a one-way street. IMHO that deserves a strong talking to if not a ticket as you are taking your life into your hands as cars around here think they always have the right of way the belief of “I weigh more than you so I’m right and your in the way”.  That and going the wrong way is bad PR for the rest of us. In general I think it is in our best interests to respect all the traffic laws while we ride during training it helps up to actually make it to our race in one piece.
2009-07-09 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
That's a big deal here in Edwards AFB, especially considering that such a large portion of cyclists are actually airman that live off-base that have already lost their driving privileges on base. They drive their trucks to outside the gate, pull out their bikes, and go to work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you ever seen this? Rss Feed  

of 1