General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 31s
Overall Rank = 88/223
Age Group = Dude 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

Wasnt really excited at all. (I think 4 races in 8 weeks has sapped some enthusiasm) Consequently I actually slept well. So well that I hit snooze many times and woke up at 6:15. I quickly wolfed a bowl of cereal and an apple. We were at fireworks the night before till late so I still had to pack the car. I got to the race around 7 AM.
Event warmup:

Wait in line? I found out I wasnt registered (thats what you get when they dont post the registrant list online before the race. I entered 4 HFP races back in April. i had no way to check prior to a race) Got that squared away and got the bike racked and ambled down to the water.
Swim
  • 27m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nothing too exceptional. I felt really smooth. I did get socked in the face about 300m in but I guess I am getting used to that thing as I didnt even miss a breath or a stroke. I actually got in some drafting this race but I need to pick better targets. I always seemed to latch onto people going slower that I wanted to. No fast fishes to follow. Oh well I will live. There is a nice uphill jog to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really- I have only been swimming once a week and I think top 25% in AG is a good result.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

my suit got stuck on both ankles - perhaps I should trim up the lower legs a tad. I almost lost my timing chip whilst desuiting (that would have sucked). I had also placed my gear under platic bags bc it had looked like rain possibly and I didnt want to be pulling on wet clothes.

dont hide my gear under plastic, get suit off better
Bike
  • 1h 17m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I shouldnt be disappointed since the course wasnt flat and had some hilly sections and I almost set a PR for the distance but I have really been putting in extra hours on the bike and I still finish in the bottom 25%. I did drop my chain so that did add a small amount of time. I felt good the whole time but I still feel that I cant maintain a higher speed without burning my legs. I have to comment on the most fabulous racing behind I have ever seen. I would normally refrain from overt comments but the gal wearing the blue swimsuit that dusted me at about mile 8....you were amazing from that view. I really wish I could push 21-22 mph to watch that for more than 30 seconds. OK that is enough piggishness.

just keep putting in the miles. My A race is in a month and I plan on increasing training even beyond my last few weeks so I can nail a PR.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

my T2 time was 6/23 (just 10 sec behind the fastest)

Keep doing what I am doing
Run
  • 45m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I totally nuked this run. I felt great the whole time. I was breathing deep and steady and passing people. I like the double out and back- it gives you more to look at and keeps your mind on the race. Did I mention that I got to see blue suit biker gal 3 more times on the run? This was a PR by nearly 4 minutes. I had a great sprint at the end although my hamstring felt like it was going to cramp big time as I crossed the line.

I didnt drink anything on the run (Ok I tried once and nearly choked trying to drink and run). I need to learn to do tha. I dotn want to stop and walk to drink but I was lucky this time since it was cool and overcast. Sunny hot mught really get me,
Post race
Warm down:

stretch the hamstring- eat pretzels and oranges

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I cant honestly say anything as I set a PR

Event comments:

Suggestions to HFP Racing-
You have posted registrants in the past on the website- please do so in the future
Have some recycling bins available. I am not an Earth freak but the amount of plastic and aluminum cans we dump every race makes me sad.

Thanks blue suit girl- not only are you built like an Amazon you kicked my ass by probably 8 minutes.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 0/223
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: rectangle-750m in circumference
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:51 | 24.85 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/23
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: one large loop- a booger of a hill about mile 10, first half of the course rolling hills- second half flat but in the cornfield winds
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:46 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/23
Performance: Good
Course: double out and back- half pavement/half rocky narrow dirt trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-07 11:27 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Caesar Creek International Triathlon

2009-07-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2269164

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek International Triathlon
Great race report! Way to kick on the run! I'm with ya on the disappointing bike leg. I can't seem to figure biking out. And I definitely remember that chick blowing by me during the ride...
2009-07-09 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race.  Someday I'll get to this race (albeit without the swim).  I forgot to register for a race once this year and it worked out better because I was able to get in to the three person line instead of the 50 person line.

Keep up with the biking.  I am so glad that comes naturally to me.  I balances out my struggle with running.

2009-07-11 10:01 AM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Pretty solid race... Congrats! So disappointed that I missed blue suit girl. Another reason for me to get faster!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed